“Good Deal in Amsterdam's Centrum & Exactly What I Expected”

The Blue Sheep Bed & Breakfast Amsterdam
Ranked #81 of 328 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Redondo Beach, California
“Good Deal in Amsterdam's Centrum & Exactly What I Expected”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I stayed in the Multatuli 1 apartment. I was offered an incredibly reasonable rate for an apartment with private bathroom in this part of Amsterdam. Unlike the other poster from July 2011, I was quite aware that the apartment was up a steep flight of stairs - it said so on the website.

In addition to the rate, I was also offered breakfast (which occurred at the B&B and not in the apartment). The breakfast was delicious... eggs, to order, fresh squeezed OJ, plenty of other offerings.

The apartment was pretty much what I expected. Except for very nice hotels and boutique B&Bs, I've never stayed anywhere where the room was precisely as nice as the photos... its just something you realize when you travel frequently. The room its own bathroom, I was provided with towels. There was a small electric stove-top and fridge. Plenty of space, especially since I was there alone. I could see having up to 4 (close) people total in that room on a budget trip.

The only "misunderstanding" is that the website indicated that the apartment has free wi-fi. While, the Blue Sheep does provide free wi-fi for its guests, the router is in the B&B a block away. As such, you cannot access the wi-fi network from the apartment and must go to the B&B to use it. You can get a signal sitting outside (if the B&B is locked) but that is weather dependent.

I am a relatively young guy, traveling on my own. It was nice to come and go at all hours of the night without disturbing other guests as you are down the street and there are only the two apartments.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay at the B&B if you want constant internat access. The apartments are nice for privacy.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I had such a nice time at The Blue Sheep! My room was exactly what I wanted--a nice, cozy room with a very comfortable bed, hardwood floors, antique furniture, clean linen and towels that smelled like the sun, plenty of yummy tea and an electric kettle . . . I felt like I was getting a real Amsterdam experience. Novella and her husband are great--welcoming and very helpful. The breakfast was a treat, too--freshly squeezed orange juice, a pot of coffee, granola, locally-baked organic breads, croissants, ham and cheese, marmalades and butter, organic peanut butter, and fresh fruit salad. It's in a great location--I walked to the train station in literally 5 minutes, the street is blocked off on one side, so there isn't any auto traffic, right on the edge of Jordaan (much less touristy) with its cute cafes and restaurants. It was just perfect. :-)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We spent two nights at the Blue Sheep. Novella and Jan were very welcoming and made us feel very comfortable in their home. The rooms were clean and well furnished and the bathroom was fantastic with a great big shower. Breakfast was very extensive and delicious, particularly the Dutch bread. We would definitely go back here if we ever went back to Amsterdam.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at The Blue Sheep. The house is centrally located in a quiet street, within easy reach of all the major attractions. Charmingly renovated, it manages to retain all the character of a 17th century canal house, while being extremely comfortable.

Novella and Jan Willem are amazingly friendly and helpful, full of good advice on places to visit and where to find the best value restaurants and most interesting bars. Novella can pre book tickets to the busier attractions, (such as Anne Frank’s House or the Van Gogh Museum), to save you queuing – fantastic! Jan Willem even got up early to make us breakfast on our last day – and kindly woke us when our alarm failed to go off!

The delicious, filling breakfasts are a welcome start to the day, with a wide choice including cereal, fresh fruit, cold meats and cheese and a selection of breads and pastries. You certainly won’t go hungry! An added bonus was the opportunity to get to know our hosts and the other guests and to exchange travel tips and tales - and even life stories.

We suggest you read the website before booking so you get the right accommodation for your needs. We chose the Orange Room (with ensuite) and it suited us perfectly. The website warned that it is a dark room with little natural light, but that didn’t worry us as we spent very little time there, except to sleep. The bed was huge and one of the most comfortable we’ve ever slept in, and the bathroom was modern and spotlessly clean.
We thoroughly recommend The Blue Sheep and hope to go back again one day.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TinaFelina
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 17 July 2011

This place was excellent! I totally felt the Amsterdam ambiance at the Blue Sheep, and the owners are very nice people, actually it was Sep 2008 when I stayed there and I know I should have written my review a lot earlier, but I am glad I can do it now. I really think the bad reviews were just either bad luck or VPP ( very peeky people), I mean nobody is perfect, I would just say that if you have the money to pay for the Ritz go for it. since in a place like that you can expect everything to be PERECT!
Oh I loved the breakfast, I even took a picture of it!
Greetings from Cancun, Mexico!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Netherlands
Reviewed 15 July 2011

Romantic room, peacefull and confortable.
We had our freedom and a ver warm welcome from the owners. Wonderfull breakfast with organic food and a tipical Amsterdam street, in the hart of the city just one step away from the canals. We could have tips about the city and nice spots to visit.
Good way to meet other guest from all over the world and have our privacy too.
We will never forget our stay in Amsterdam!

Room Tip: Look for simplicity, confort and a ver central place?
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Very personable, and friendly service; However, our inquiries/requests must have gotten lost in translation because it was definitely NOT what we expected. We slept at the Multatuli 2 Apartment for one night (out of three) and left the next morning in search of a better/more accommodating place to stay. Even though the owner was aware of the fact that we were traveling with young children, we were given this apartment which was a BIG mistake. The staircase was INCREDIBLY STEEP and NARROW; definitely not for people with young children or with walking/climbing issues. It was a pain going up or down with the kids, stroller and bags. I guess it would be fine if you didn’t have much to carry. We also asked for a baby bed which wasn’t there upon our arrival. They later brought up a somewhat dirty, stained mattress and a tent for the baby to sleep in. Needless to say, she ended up sleeping in the bed with us. Last but not least, I requested a room with breakfast included but their idea of ‘breakfast included’ was to put a few things in the fridge for us to fix in the morning; very thoughtful, but unfortunately, we were there on vacation, not to fix our own food and then have to do dishes, sweep the floor, etc.

The pictures on their web site show a very clean and sleek room which this particular apartment WAS NOT; it was run down. A few of the corners were cracking and moldy and the paint was peeling off in some areas. Ants were everywhere. After the four of us took showers in the musty bathroom (the bathroom itself was the shower…Imagine a shower, with a toilet and sink in it) the wet mold on the grout between the floor tiles began to peel off...so gross!! After we found a different hotel to stay in, we went back to the Blue Sheep, packed our bags and left. I had to wait until the next day to return the keys as the owner was on vacation. She gave me a 70 Euro discount. Not much, taking into consideration that we had to pay for TWO hotels now, but we had to keep our word and it was worth every penny knowing our vacation wouldn’t be ruined after all.

If you don’t mind a VERY steep staircase, a somewhat dirty, dingy old room with a yucky smelling and moldy bathroom, and if you don’t have children or much to carry, then this apartment is the place for you!

4 Thank gallitokikiriki2007
9lla, Proprietario at The Blue Sheep Bed & Breakfast Amsterdam, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
First of all I would like to say that it is sad to read that this woman was not happy in our place. Luckely we have 164 other good reviews. It is not our aim to make guests unhappy, for this price we have a very good product and we stand for that. The stairs are steep, you can read this in all the reviews. All of the houses in downtown Amsterdam are from the 17th century, you live in a heritage!
Travelling with 2 kids is not easy. Can you imagine if this family stayed in a youth hostel? There you sleep with 25 people in one room and you pay 40,-- euro’s p.p.p.n.; that is the same price she payed to us! And then you have a whole apartment for yourself including breakfast!!!!
I think family should go to a hotel where the cheapest rooms (because she didn’t say how much she payed for the nights in the hotel) are priced from 200 to 400 euro’s a night. It is not fair to pay the less you can and expect the highest standards.
I asked if everything was ok and fine and she said YES I'M VERY HAPPY BUT THE STAIR IS TO NARROW FOR US...nothing else !!!!!