“It was almost like visiting family.”

The Blue Sheep Bed & Breakfast Amsterdam
Ranked #83 of 331 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Hamburg, Germany
“It was almost like visiting family.”
Reviewed 14 February 2011

I had a wonderful stay at The Blue Sheep. Not only was the food fresh and chosen with care, but I also liked how the family, who runs the b&b and shares the space openly welcomes strangers and cares about their needs. Be it "rent a bike" or "how to get around", "where to shop or dine" etc. The house is small but well looked after, the two tiny dogs have a great heart and the atmosphere I found very cozy. It´s probably not everyones cup of tea to have to go downstairs to the bathroom, so elderly watch out (narrow stairs). If I go to Amsterdam again I make sure I can stay at The Blue Sheep.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank minzi108

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 14 February 2011

We found the Blue Sheep through tripadvisor and checked their website - exactly what we looked for. Novella, the owner, was there when we arrived and showed us her house. Its right at the Single in a very quiet lane, you can get anywhere by foot. The house however is old and has a remarkable story.
Our room was on the 2nd floor, the stairs are small and steep, but no problem. I loved the interior of the bedrooms and the bathroom, which is all a combination of the original and modern materials.
When booking you should be clear about living together with a family and sharing their space in the living room/kitchen. We loved it, but if you want a hotel - stay in a hotel!

Thanks to you Novella for the lovely weekend, we'll be back! A+R

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FrankyFrankson
Messenkamp
Reviewed 7 February 2011

After two years I have been a second time with my family at the Blue Sheep and I am still fascinated by the friendly and nearly private atmosphere. A creative interiour design in the center of Amsterdam.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank bluesheeps
Hannover
Reviewed 7 February 2011

The blue sheep is an great hotel in the center of Amsterdam. It has an nice atmosphare and you feel like you are at home. Verry friendly People and awesome breakfast. Try the Waffels!
The rooms are actually big and have a nice bed. There is also a tv and lots of dvd's in each room.
The shower is downstairs where the toilet is.

At all we enjoyed our stay at the bluesheep. I recommend it to everyone. Familys&couples&buissnes man.

Nice place to visit even in january.

Breki&andreas&jonna&soley Schulz

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Milan
Reviewed 21 January 2011

Strategically positioned (10 min walk from Amsterdam Central Station and main city's attractions) the Blue Sheep is a very nice place to stay.
Chimney atmosphere; cosy and stylish rooms everything makes you feel familiar, comfortable and at ease. Extremely positive experience.

• Stayed November 2010
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 29 November 2010

It was my first time in a bed&breakfast, but it was worth trying because everything else was so expensive when I was planing to go to Amsterdam. So I found this very well reviewed place, and what a place. We got a big apartment in the top of a building just in the corner of the street (it's not in the same building of the administration). The stairs are a bit rough (be carefull with large bags) but the room is simply amazing! We had a double bed and a sofa bed. The bathroom was very good and had a fully equiped kitchen where my sister prepared an unforgetable dinner for all of us. The owners (Novella and Jan) are very friendly and make you very comfortable. The hotel is 10 min walk away from the central station. The only problem was the free wifi connection which was not very good from our room.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 October 2010

I did a lot of research before booking The Blue Sheep. A few factors were really important to me: 1. Location, 2. Nighttime Quiet Level, and 3. Comfort (especially since we were traveling as a group of 4). I have to say, The Blue Sheep hit 5 stars on all three points. Now, since a good location can mean different things to different people, I will say that we are in our mid-40s, love to go out eating and drinking wine, love to walk around and explore, and live in a large, diverse city ourselves. Over the four full days we were there, I'd say we walked a good 8-10 hours each day. I feel like we got a great sense of the different neighborhoods and areas around town. Every day, with every new area we found ourselves in, we kept saying that The Blue Sheep was in the absolute most perfect location of all. It's in a residential neighborhood, near the Jordaan, nine streets, Anne Frank's, near restaurants, cafes and boutique shops; alive during the night and yet incredibly quiet as well. Full of people during the day but not congested at all. I thought the mix of coffee shops and sprinkling of red-light windows only added to the wonderful unique-ness that is Amsterdam. We slept with our windows wide open - no car noises, no music, no loud carrying on - nothing. So far removed from the noise and crowds of the center and yet so in the middle of everything. It was a five minute walk from the station (yet a world away!) and super easy to find. As far as comfort, we stayed in the 3rd floor's Suite Roma and it was perfect for four (of course you have to not mind going through the living room with the sofa-bed to get to the bathroom which for us was no big deal). The view from the bedroom is gorgeous, the bathroom is luxuriously huge, and I can't speak for the sofa-bed but the regular bed was like sleeping in a cloud. (Everything I had read about tiny little rooms and uncomfortable beds made me feel really lucky). Novella is a nice host and we felt very comfortable. My only suggestion is to keep in mind that this is a small family-owned operation. If you get something in writing from Novella (like whether or not breakfast is included or what exactly will be in your apartment refridgerator), consider bringing a copy with you - this isn't a corporate hotel where they have a staff and are that super organized. Things change and you can tell she tries to go with the flow of people coming and going as best as possible. I found this perfectly understandable but had secretly wished I had brought some more info with me in writing (did not hamper my stay one bit). I otherwise loved the feel of being on our own in an apartment. It just fit with the authenticity of everything around us.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple