“A charming home in the Jordaan”
Review of Eelhouse B&B

Eelhouse B&B
Ranked #40 of 329 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
London, England, United Kingdom
“A charming home in the Jordaan”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

There's nothing I like more when I travel than finding a delightful place to stay. Somewhere the locals would like. Generously helpful hosts. A little bit quirky. Clean and comfortable. An authentic base from which to discover the city's hidden secrets... Eelhouse is all that and more.

From the first email confirming my reservation, Vera went out of her way to make my stay perfect. She had checked my flight details so knew I was delayed, she delivered delicious breakfasts fresh from the local bakery to my room at a time of my choosing, she left free wine and other refreshments in the fridge, she gave helpful restaurant recommendations, she researched train times to a neighbouring town where I was attending a friend's wedding, and she was always happy to chat like an old friend.

The B&B itself is tucked away on a quite corner of the Jordaan, so although you have the best of Amsterdam on your doorstep it is also lovely and peaceful at nights. And what a comfortable bed! Waking to the dual aspect morning I felt more rested than I have in a long time. Other reviewers have pointed out the steep stairs, but quite honestly that just adds to the charm and authenticity of the old gabled building. And it is beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean.

My next trip's B&B has a lot to live up to...

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank RuthThePoet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Perth
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We stayed in Jasper's other property called Quartier Neuf which was wonderful!!
Yes the stairs are very steep but the room was so big and comfortable. The breakfast was great and Jasper was always so very helpful. If we ever go to Amsterdam again we would definately stay there. We would absolutely recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank colandlynda
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 June 2012

This was our first trip to Amsterdam and we picked this b&b for our stay. The first thing I would recommend is that the Jordaan area is the perfect place to stay in Amsterdam. We also wanted a complete Amsterdam house experience with the lovely narrow, steep stairs. Its a good way to get some more exercise in!
Our hosts were very helpful and knowledgeable about the city. We stayed with our two teenage boys who had one room with the beds separated and we had the top floor. The breakfast was a great start to the day. The house was in a lovely quiet area.
I would definitely highly recommend this place as the perfect place to stay in Amsterdam. We hope to be back!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank lembasts
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2012

The trouble with getting rave reviews is that guests have great expectations. Everything went well with the booking with Vera sending cheery emails which included incredibly detailed instructions on how to get there. So I was surprised when I arrrived to be ignored by her for three days. I found out later she was sick but an earlier explanation would have been appreciated. Her partner Jasper cheerfully delivered breakfasts, tripping lightly up the windy, steep staircase but little things went awry like dead flowers on arrival, no wine etc. Once on board Vera was incredibly helpful and knowledgable. Then we hit a wall. After five nights on level three I decided to move to the top floor, to experience garret living. However Vera forgot to give me the key. I arrived home at 18.00 to find them both out. I rang every half hour but failed to make contact until two hours later. They finally let me in at 20.30. By that time I was so frozen I developed a sore throat for the following three days. Was there any suggestion of a reduction in the quoted price for that night? No. And when I refused to pay the full price Vera was not happy. As a result I will not go back despite the fact the place is a little gem and I can understand Vera is usually an excellent hostess. (I would like to add that on the final day I was short of cash as had not factored in paying for the taxi. I did however, pay the remaining money during a later visit to Amsterdam).

Room Tip: The top floor is more private and quite unique looking out over the roof tops.
4 Thank tripability
Helsinki,Finland
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Couldn't agree more with the other TA reviewers. Everything really is as wonderful as mentioned. Why would anybody stay in a crowded and noisy hotel when you have the Eelhouse? Peaceful, beautiful, authentic, friedly, well-located, fabulous bed, breakfast with mouth-watering croissants ! Book early though! A big hug and thanks to Vera who always answered within hours to our e-mails when we were just at the planning stages of your trip. That is what a good customer service is about. All our requests were taken into account and we couldn't possibly have asked for more.
We followed Vera's instructions from the trainstation- no problem whatsoever. A beautiful walk! We had bought a four-day tram/bus ticket in advance but found out that due to the superb location we didn't need it at all. Well, only twice or so when we visited the van Gogh museum and the shopping street. If you do use the tram- there are stops within 200metres or so, pay extra attention that you are going to the right direction when choosing the stop. The canals made me a bit disoriented...
There is an ironing board, an iron, a hairdryer and an extra chair in the room closet for those who want to travel in style or who have business meetings, though it seemed that the Dutch are really laidback unfussy people so I wouldn't worry about dressing up. The bathroom was equipped with a huge bottle of shampoo and liquid soap, just couldn't figure out where to put them in the shower since there wasn't a self or a basket , but that was a truly minor thing in an overall perfect room. I would strongly plea to other guests : please remember to tread gently and softly- wear no shoes inside - we had a couple of elephants living on top floor and it was a horror. So please be sensitive to other guests even more so than usual due to the special character of the building. The nice playgroung in front of the Eelhouse tends to get busy with children in the afternoons- there are hundrends of them, so if you dream about an afternoon nap it is impossible. ...
If you need extra snacks or some variety to breakfast meats we recommend the local grocery store Jumbo, it's just a hop away, conveniently next to a post office. On the same street there are also nice lunch places, we liked the eetcafe de zagerli (?) sorry about the spelling! A trip to Marken gives you an idea of the countryside, wouldn't bother with Volemdam too touristy unless you are into fish &chips& herring and plastic souvenirs. Five days didn't seem to be enough in Amsterdam and we would love to go back. We don't even think about staying anywhere else than in The Eelhouse.

Room Tip: The top floor has a spectacular view but just a futon on the floor and limited head space.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NoSnow47
Australia
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I am reluctant to leave this review as I don't want to ruin my chances of getting a room in this wonderful B&B in the future. I can not rave enough about this place. It is gorgeously fitted out, on a corner in an excellent neighborhood and the owners Vera and Jasper (and Jasper's delightful parents) are kind, warm and very generous.

I had the best time in The Netherlands; the country is beautiful and the people couldn't be nicer. Staying at the Eelhouse certainly added to my experience. Perfection in every way.

1 Thank BJ_Australia
vancouver
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I stayed 3 days in this B&B . Had a room on the 4th floor with a nice view .Joordan area is very quiet and as residential you feel more as if you live in Amsterdam instead of being a tourist. It was good to get back to the place after a day of sightseeing.
it is around 20 minutes walk far from the central station, if you know your route which is a beautiul walk through canals.
My room was clean with nice view, had my own entrance key to the building, Vera was away on a family visit while i was there ,however her friend took care of everything perfectly, she was vey kind, polite and took care of everything right away ( I found everybody in Amsterdam really nice in my 3 visits).
There was a laundramat next to their building and there are lots of nice little restaurants around . Also the Saturday market is a nice small market. breakfast was faboulous and more than enough , i made sandwiches every day from breakfast's left over. A frigo with a beer , an orange juice a bottle of water and a bottle of white wine will be provided and refilled everyday free of charge, a nice touch.

Although, I loved their hospitality and the area but the stairs , which i should have expected as knew this was a traditional house, were quite a bit of workout; i was so happy when Vera's friend carried my luggage upstairs, gladly i was not traveling as heavy as i usually do but that was a blessing.
I took the train and then a taxi from the airport to the eels house, and on my way back , i took a taxi service , that charges less than other regular services to the airport.
Though i Loved their breakfast, cleanliness, quiet ,area, the hospitality but the stairs and the bed on the floor ( kind of futon) will make me thing 2x before going back again if ever due to my knee problem.Price for Amsterdam and the nice Joordan area was very adequate.

2 Thank mooshi007