“Don’t waste your time.”

Electric Ladyland - the First Museum of Fluorescent Art
Ranked #157 of 611 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The Museum as of May 10, 2017 is now "BY APPOINTMENT ONLY." Appointments made only through: electricladyland appointy. Museum open Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Museum Tours everyday at: 2:00 - 3:00PM 3:00 - 4:00PM 4:00 - 5:00PM 5:00 - 6:00PM Please bring appointment confirmation to the Museum. Door is Locked 15 minutes after the hourly start of each tour. No Suntan Lotion in Museum. DO NOT DISTURB THE NEIGHBORS OR SIT ON THEIR BENCHES!
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Made an appointment like it says to do on the website. Was there from 2:45-3:30 with six others who also made an appointment but nobody showed. Called and emailed but no replies to any of us. We stood there with 16 people all expecting to go on in but nobody ever showed. Talked to a few who had tried three times. Don’t waste your time trying to go.

Nick P, Owner at Electric Ladyland - the First Museum of Fluorescent Art, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

You and everyone else who you write were waiting "outside" all were sent CANCELLATION EMAILS from "Appointy" hours before any of your tours were supposed to start and hours before the museum opened, so what were all these people supposedly waiting outside for - including yourself?

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"running commentary"
"his passion"
in 3 reviews
"happy to answer any questions"
"an open mind"
"no flash"
"the main attraction"
"interesting place"
"interesting facts"
"rocks"
in 39 reviews

Reviewed 26 May 2018

An hour before our scheduled visit we were sent an email canceling our appointment. Three specifically, since we could only make individual appointments. ZERO explanation. I called there times, each time it went to a beep which sounded like and answering machine and then it hung up. I emailed. No response either. And after reading what this owner has to say to there’s on this site, I am glad we did not visit.

1  Thank Humty30
Reviewed 14 May 2018

It's basically just one room in the basement, but it's filled with loads of amazing fluorescent stones and art, the pictures speak for themselves. The owner is an expert in this topic, he told us many interesting facts and showed us how the things look like with the different UV lights. It's not something you see anywhere else, so I definitely recommend a visit, it's worth the 5€

Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

The museum and artwork itself might be very interesting, but we'll never know due to the owners messing us around.

We booked to go here 4 weeks ahead of the date. A week before our visit we found out that we'd booked to visit on the same day as a National Holiday, but the date was available and our confirmation had come through, and all our other bookings for that day had been honoured, so this one should have been too. When we arrived, we were very rudely told to 'go away, no way', by the owner's girlfriend, because it was impossible that we'd booked for that day, however we were stood there with our confirmation, clearly showing that we had been able to. We asked if we could reschedule but were told a flat out no. The woman then went to talk to her boyfriend, who at first tried to hide and avoid giving an explanation, and then very reluctantly came to the door. He straight up lied about sending a cancellation email the day before, and then told us that it was our fault and that we should have known it was closed.

If the owners had sent us a cancellation email then it would have been fine. If they'd let us reschedule then that would have been okay. Even if they'd just been slightly apologetic about the situation it would have been understandable. But overall they were incredibly rude and absolutely would recommend staying away from this place to avoid the hassle. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME!!

3  Thank Amy H
Nick P, Owner at Electric Ladyland - the First Museum of Fluorescent Art, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2018

Now I have had ENOUGH!! Two days ago you came to the museum on "King's-Day" which is a Dutch National Holiday and on which it is Against the Law to Open. I will repeat myself since you probably did not even read that: "King's Day" is a Dutch National Holiday and it is Against the Law to Open on that day! I did not "hide" at the door, but I came directly to the door and told you that the Entire Day of "King's Day" had been BLOCKED by myself on the Appointy website and it was impossible to book any tour on that day, since we are Closed. I even told you to come inside and look with your own eyes at the computer screen of Appointy to see that the museum was Blocked the entire day and that You nor anyone else could reserve a tour that day, since - again - "King's Day" is a Dutch National Holiday and it is Against the Law to Open that day. YOU DID NOT WANT TO COME IN TO LOOK AT THE BLOCKED 27th OF APRIL ON THE COMPUTER SCREEN, AND YOU DID NOT SHOW ANY CONFIRMATION AT THE DOOR OR ANYWHERE ELSE, SO DO NOT LIE! If you had reserved a tour for that day and it had been cancelled you would have received a cancellation email, but you DID NOT because the 27th of April was BLOCKED and no one could reserve a tour on a Dutch National Holiday (one more time!) After building a museum unique in the world for 7 years, I get a "terrible" rating from a questionable person who didn't even visit the museum!

See more reviews
Reviewed 26 March 2018

Me and my wife did this tour in March 2018. This museum opened my eyes to another world of Fluorescence. Fluorescence is pretty much a living organism. It takes energy, consumes it, produces the brightest colors you would ever see. The vibes in this place are exceptional. The location is very close to the Ann Frank Museum.

Its just 5 Euros & they let you use a really trippy bathroom for free.

The couple who are the owner are in their 70s but their energy and will to give back to the world, still keeps them coming back to the museum everyday. They do this without the help of a young person or receptionist to handle your reservations. Remember that before, giving a bad review and saying they cancelled your reservation. We did not have reservation but they let us in, because they could. I would advise to call them in advance, they are doing their best in their capacity to handle the online reservations.

They not only let us in, but allowed us to stay for as long as we want, despite of the small space and huge crowd. Nik explained in detail, about the physics behind this & inspired me for the rest of the life to explore this amazing world. I have bought a black light even.
The pigment he uses, makes his paint way more brighter than you would find anywhere else.

Some of the artifacts on the first floor are for sale as well, and can spin your head around. We bought what we could.

I forgot my wallet and the lady was kind enough to keep it open extra time, so i could pick it.

Although the museum closes at 7 but if you are interested Nik can talk to you the whole day about it.

DO NOT MISS IT.

Nick P, Owner at Electric Ladyland - the First Museum of Fluorescent Art, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Hari Om,