“Not the same 10 years after”
Review of Sampurna

Sampurna
Reserve with
Sampurna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #245 of 3,814 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$0 - US$155
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,667 helpful votes
“Not the same 10 years after”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We ate at this Indonesian restaurant in the flower market about 10 years ago and loved it. We had rijstaffel which consisted of about 20 small dishes of increasingly hot and spicy food. This small eatery was owned by a mother and her young daughter. Well, now Mom has retired and the daughter seems to be in charge. She also waited on us today at lunch time when we returned with another couple (my sister and brother-in-law). Two of us had rijstaffel and two had other dishes. The rijstaffel was 9 dishes (about half as many as 10 years ago) and not nearly as hot and spicy as we remembered it. I had nasi goren which is rice with meat and vegetables mixed in. The two who had rijstaffel thought it was very good, but not hot and spicy enough. My nasi goren was a mountain of way too much rice with 3 medium-sized shrimp and 3 small pieces of chicken hiding underneath the rice. The bill for the 4 of us was over USD$100 (in euros, of course), which to me is a lot for lunch like this. In my case, 90% of my meal was rice. However, the food was tasty. Isabella, the daughter I mentioned above, is now all grown up and very charming. She takes time to schmooze with each table, which is nice if you are not the table being ignored while she does her schmooIng at another table. The restaurant is just what you would expect of an Asian restaurant in terms of the ambience. This restaurant is open daily from noon. We went on a Sunday when many restaurants are closed. They have 3 outside tables in good weather.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank LWL3333

• Indonesian first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Very surprised at some of the comments !”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We ate here tonight, it was Gay Pride and we had not booked but managed to get a table and the service and good was excellent. We have eaten here on several occasions and always enjoyed it. The one time that we were served a starter that arrived cold, the waiter apologised, it was replaced and we were given a free glass of wine. The staff are helpful and we were surprised at the comments on here about them bring rude , certainly never experienced that. The food tastes authentic and sure some of the portions are a bit small. Price wise we find it great value and would highly recommend it.

Visited August 2014
“Horrible discriminatory service, mediocre food”
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

I had heard a great deal about the excellent Indonesian food at Sampurna and was determined to give it a try based on the positive reviews received. How wrong I was. I had made an online reservation for 8 pm. When I arrived at 8.15 pm, I was told that the restaurant was full and that I had to wait. There was a group of 4 ahead of us and they went in first. We were only seated at 8.45 pm. We ordered the Celebes Rijstaffel for 2. The spring rolls arrived only at 9 pm. The rest of the dishes were served at 9.30 pm. I do not understand the rationale for the long wait since all dishes are already pre-cooked and only need to be warmed up. A Caucasian couple who came in after us and ordered the same menu were served their meal first at 9 pm. The staff were busy clearing plates and serving Caucasian customers. An Asian family of 3 who walked in at around 9.15 pm was not served their food when we left at 10 pm. The food was mediocre - nothing to shout about. Perhaps as a Singaporean, I may be biased since I have had better quality Indonesian food in Singapore and Indonesia and Sampurna caters mainly to Caucasian taste buds. If you are Asian, don't even bother going to Sampurna - you will be given second class service because Caucasians get served first and we personally witnessed it. It's over-rated and not worth the €35 per person for very mediocre Indonesian food.

2 Thank Kah Kay A
co.antrim
“Loved it”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We had a late lunch on a sunday afternoon there were 10 of us and there was only 1 chef there but boy did he make us a beautiful ricetafel the waitress was very nice and helpful we enjoyed it very much and would definitely be back.

Toronto, Canada
“Very good, a tad overated by some”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Highly recommended by our cruise director, while it was good, not sure it was great.

Right next to the flower market- view is not great in evening as the market boards up for the evening.

Rice table - we got two diferent versions - vegetarian and also Barrarat - (low end of spicy). Food was very plentiful and interesting, was spicy but not flavorful, some did not appear the freshest

Overalll we were happy with it, but it is expensive and wasn't majorly wowed by it

• Visited July 2014