“Not bad !!!”

Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Visited one evening whilst on our break to Amsterdam with friends. The restaurant is just off one of the main food streets. The restaurant was very quiet on our visit so lacked a little in atmosphere. We choose the set Rijsttafel (Rice Table) menus to share between the four of us.
The food was tasty and served on burners to keep it hot and came with a good selection of dishes some meat and some vegetables & rice, all served ranging from mild to hot. A nice selection to suit most, although a little lacking in flair and imagination. Reasonable value meal but we were not blown away by it.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I have enjoyed dinner here on a couple of occasions. Great food, great service. It's a wonderful experience for someone seeking the Indonesian taste.

1  Thank WDB3
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I am Indonesian but never had Rijsttafel before. So per our B&B host's recommendation we reserved a table at Puri Mas.

Typical Indonesians, the waitresses were very friendly and polite. We were quickly seated and were given a few minutes to look over the menu. After taking our drink orders, we were explained of the different Rijstaffel and the owner (or manager) allowed us to just order two orders, the second least expensive, despite having two young children.

Very glad we ordered just two though. The dishes were small but there were many. Also, our youngest, 4yrs old, is naturally picky so she only ate the non-spicy and rice dishes. But I think if we were four adults, we would have needed to order four Rijstaffels!

On the authenticity... While the food was super tasty, I think the flavor may have been a bit westernized. The taste of a few different dishes were just a bit off. BUT, to be fair, Rijstaffel isn't an Indonesian tradition and the way things were cooked at Puri Mas was/is how the people in The Netherlands like it. For authenticity, I found another restaurant I liked better -- which I have reviewed.

Overall a great Rijstaffel experience and for me, once is enough. Next time I visit, I will stick to the regular menu items (and most likely at a different restaurant).

1  Thank keiraharford
Reviewed 8 March 2014

A group of 15 of us went to Puri Mass without a booking and they were happy to help. We had a long table with a banquette on one side. It wasn't that busy but there was a pleasant atmosphere and the staff were friendly, they explained the two menus on offer and worked really hard to get all the meals to the table, which included many set menus and Rijkstafel (all with lots of dishes). They took time to explain each dish to the customer. I had a fried noodle dish with prawns, chicken satay, vegetables and red chillies, which was really good. I think quite a few people hadn't realised how spicy the dishes could be, even those with no mention of spice in the description. We enjoyed our meal and would recommend it.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Had dinner here last week with my parents who have lived a long time in SE Asia. They had the Rijkstafel and I had the Satay mix. Food was great and authentic. We had a great time and the service was very attentive and friendly. The prices were very decent and we did not go home hungry. We will return to this Indonesian restaurant.