“Ideal place out of the noise”

Novotel Amsterdam City
Ranked #121 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I like this Hotel , wonderful place as its located on quite area with no noise at all yet it’s still close to the city center by using the tram , only 15 minutes you will reach the Dam Square , 20 M to reach the central station and 10 minutes by train to reach the Airport .

If you are birder , its ideal location due to the nice opposite park where you can spot many birds and squirrels . also 10 Minutes walk from the hotel you could see the Typical Dutch landmark …a wonderful Windmill!

If you are Business man , it’s also so close to Rai conference center just 5 Minutes walk !

Friendly Staff, nice rooms and delicious breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank egysioux
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear egisioux,

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review on Tripadvisor.

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Amsterdam City.

Nice to read you have noticed all the different birds and squirrels in our 'Amsterdamse Bos'.

Remco Groenhuyzen

Write a ReviewReviews (2,944)

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Efficient reception upon check in. Room is nice and adequately sized. Breakfast is good. Location is good for RAI, though a little bit far from Amsterdam downtown. The tram station and NS train station is within walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear Micjas,

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questionnaire.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Let me start with, this is not my typical type of hotel. Most of my traveling is for pleasure and cultural immersion. I tend to stay at accommodations that are above a hostel but below, or at least at the low end of, a three-figured price. I was booked here by work for a conference. Even with our group discount, this hotel cost more than i would normally spend on a hotel. I thought this would be an opportunity to see how the "upper-class" travelled. My conclusion: stupidly.

The location was great for the conference at the RAI centre. And even though it's not downtown, it was easy to get around because you're close to the train, trams and buses. As well, the nearby neighbourhoods have a lot to offer with reasonably priced restaurants and stores.

But the hotel itself, although nice on the surface, was horrible.

The wifi must be hacked from another hotel or cafe. It was shockingly slow and unreliable. Some days we gave up on trying something as simple as reading emails.

The rooms themselves were fine. However, I'm a little disgusted by the cleaning habits. I shared the room with a colleague for a convention, who luckily happens to be a friend. But I still didn't appreciate the forced closeness of the towels and pillows. We didn't put our towels in the tub to be replaced. We put them in separate areas so that we could access them later. The cleaning staff moved them both to the bathroom. They obviously weren't new ones. Who's was who's?!? And, because of the different sizes of pillows, we know that they interchanged the pillows from one bed to another. Not reassuring in terms of cleanliness.

At check-in there was a mistake with our reservation. We had to take an upgraded room for one night at almost double the cost. The added benefit? A few extra toiletries and the use of a terry cloth robe. There was also mention of free use of the mini bar, but because the description if its "freeness" kept changing we opted not to risk drinking a 10€ bottle of water.

Our company emailed immediately to the group reservations to take care of the confusion. When we checked with the front desk the next day, we were told that everything was taken care of, the first night was included with the booked reservation, and we would not be charged personally. So we didn't pursue the matter any further. However, at check out on Sunday (3 days later), when we could no longer contact anyone, we were told that we had to pay for the first night. We explained that we were told differently earlier. However the person checking us out didn't care.

At this point we don't know if we've double paid for the room. Yes, work will eventually pay us back. But with exchange rates, bank transfer fees, and credit card charges, we are now out money for no reason other than incompetence and indifference on the part of the staff. Absolutely shameful ... especially given the rates and the ratings of the hotel.

I would never return to the hotel. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. If I needed to return for a conference, I would make my own reservations somewhere else. Very disappointing stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear charli246,

Thank you for taking the time to tell about your experience at the Novotel Amsterdam City. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. I would like to express my sincerest apologies.

Could you please let me know by e-mail when you have stayed in our hotel and what your room number was? In this way I could check with my team what happened and I can take the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Looking forward to hear from you.

H0515-AM@accor.com

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Been to the hotel many times as it is preferred by clients. Always a pleasure as it is a very nice hotel.

Has all the facilities and always fully booked.

Only down side is now swimming pool, however Gym is good.

As for food, considering it is a 4* / 5* it is value for money compared to other places in the area.

Staff are very helpful and professional at all times

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Paren S.,

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questionnaire.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Very nice hotel, with exceptional lobby and fantastic breakfast!
Room were spacious,comforatble with new bathroom with modern decoration.
Its very close to RAI (5 min. on foot) and near to tram station to go to the city centre.
The negatives: restaurant and mini bar very expensive!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Stayed 3 nights October 2013

Requested and received high floor; 2 Adts & 1 13 y.o. Standard room had sufficient space with sofa bed in use. Room clean and there were a few english TV channels

Very good, if busy, breakfast. Staff helpful and courteous throughout stay.

Location for us was excellent for us. Two stations from Schipol to RAI station. RAI station is on the metro direct into centre but far better mode of transport was the number 4 tram which is at the same terminus. 2 minute walk from Hotel and 20-25 min journey to centre. If you are staying for a few days and using public transport, I would reccommend the 24/48/72 hour travel pass -purchased from the ticket machines inside the RAI station.

There is not much around hotel in terms of nightlife, but two stops on the tram took you into local amenities, with a couple of restaurants - Italian & Egyptian and a local bar - situated opposite RAI conference centre.

The X-box console needed a bit of "TLC" in the children's area. Good wifi in main areas

Would stay again and reccommend

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PaulLiverpoolUK
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I recently stayed at Novotel Amsterdam as i attended a conference in RAI conference center. Even though the hotel might seem out of the way and far from the city, I found that that is no obstacle as the hotel is situated within a walking distance from the metro whcih takes you directly to the city.
I was pleasantly surprised by the positive radiance that the front office staff reflected on my arrival (and throughout the stay). This was my first trip to Amsterdam and the staff were vere helpful in guiding me on transport, things to see and do.
The food, rooms and service were excellent and if I ever came back to Amsterdam, this would be the hotel of choice.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank LianaXharra
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear LianaXharra,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel through Tripadvisor. We actively try to show our guests that the staff and service are the key factors in making sure guests enjoy their stay and I am very glad to see we were able to make you experience this! Hope to see you again in the future, maybe during your next conference!

Kind regards,