“Normal and good business hotel”

Novotel Amsterdam City
Ranked #121 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I have been there regularly since 2.5 year ago due to meetings in Amsterdam.

My 1st experience was not optimal 2.5 year ago but it seems to be improved in terms of internet and meals.

In my opinion, the reception always try to keep very patient and friendly and fast. There are so many international guests everyday there, so well done I will say.

The breakfast buffet is 23 or 25 euro? It has a very comprehensive selections of international foods, however, still a bit pricy. There is also a quite snack corner, I grabed a cappuccio and crossiant for 5 euro.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Dirk B, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2015

Dear travelfairy1,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I am glad to read you had a good stay with us in general.

Hopefully we could welcome you back in the nearest future at Novotel Amsterdam City!

Dirk B.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,899)

Reviewed 11 December 2013

We stayed for 2 nights as part of a package deal and were delighted with the allocation of this hotel by the tour operator. We were a little hesitant because it is not within easy walking distance of the City centre but it is at the end of line 4 ( Rai ) and getting there could not have been easier. The room was spacious, exceptionally clean and quiet. The reception staff welcoming and we would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear chrisp59,

Thank you for taking the time to write a very positive review on Tripadvisor.

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Amsterdam City.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I traveled to Amsterdam on business, spending a week there enjoying the sights and the museums. The Novotel was an excellent choice for a home base while I was there. The hotel is modern, clean, and the staff does an outstanding job of answering questions and otherwise helping out.

restaurant has been good and we had nice dinners every day.

Worth staying.

Room Tip: entire hotel is fine from all sides.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Amit2403,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I traveled to Amsterdam by myself, spending a week there enjoying the sights and the museums. The Novotel was an excellent choice for a home base while I was there. The hotel is modern, clean, and the staff does an outstanding job of answering questions and otherwise helping out. The breakfast buffet is wonderful, with a wide range of hot and cold options. Being so close to RAI, the transit connections are excellent, with rail, bus, tram (line 4) and Metro (lines 50 and 51) a 5 minute walk away. The airport is two stops away (about a dozen minutes) by Sprinter train. Tram line 5 is the "museum line" and is available just one Metro stop away at WTC/Zuid. If you stay there, I recommend an unlimited transit pass (by day/days), as you will use it a decent amount to get around. The hotel itself is a bit too far from things to be a "walking everywhere" hotel, but that also makes it easy to chill out and not feel as if every moment of your trip is about being a tourist.

Because this hotel offers the ideal mix of local and tourist flavor, it is my preferred hotel in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear WaltEP,

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I was given a gift to go have lunch at this hotel on the 29th of November 2013. It was a very nice experience. I myself have worked in hotels for about 10 years and still do so at this moment. Even though this is not even the hotel chain I myself work for I have to give credit where credit is due.

Upon entering the hotel me and wife welcomed with smiles, exactly the way it should be!. We were kindly directed to the restaurant by the front desk agent. He had his cubicle clean, tight and organized. Also the way it should be! Unfortunately I did not get his name but to the gentleman I had asked for a comment card, my props go out to you.

Next the restaurant: upon entering this area we were welcomed with smiles again by Beatrice and Daphne. Beatrice directed us to 2 tables we could choose from at the window. Just the way I like it. As a guest at this hotel I value choices. My wife and I were very well taken care by these 2 ladies and we enjoyed the chitchat we had with Daphne.
I could see Daphne was new working there and later during one of Daphne's pleasant chitchats she confirmed this. Even though she was new I still compliment her on the good job she did.

Next the Food: I myself had the penne bolognese and the chocolate mouse. My wife had the beef on a kind of sandwich and a fruit salad. To the kitchen nicely done! my pasta saus was almost perfect, not to watery and full of taste. I tasted the beef of my wife which was great. It was ordered medium done and that's exactly the way my wife got it. However I do have a suggestion; this may be just me but I hate rucola I would suggest that upon taking an order of pasta to check with the guest if they would want rucola on the pasta. I will admit it looks nicer on the plate but not everybody like it. about the plates; the plates were nice and clean, the wine glasses the same.

In general: A very good experience!! The lobby was clean, the restaurant was clean the staff is polite and friendly. And most important, smiles everywhere!!

Room Tip: we did not spend the night
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joshua D
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear Joshua D.,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your lunch at the Novotel Amsterdam City.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

The pleasant pale coloured green exterior lends credibility to the ecology policy of the hotel which is quite comfortable in most respects. Reception staff was pleasant but too helpful-acting like a concierge to the new arrivals so the check in was too slow.
Location is great if you have an event in RAI or the adjoining Conference Center. Rates vary with the events happening in these two venues and so value for money varies. The location from the airport (10 mins and 2.50 euro ticket) to the nearby Amsterdam RAI station makes an ideal location for many, though tourists would need a daily ticket (7.50e) to go to town and move around by tram (25 mins) or Metro (15 mins) (single journey tickets are available though).
Rooms are comfortable and decent sizes with a small sofa to relax on. View is not great but that is a locational issue. The housekeeping is very poor though. You will be woken up before 8 for cleaning the room unless you put the 'Don't Disturb sign. The standard of cleaning is the worst I have seen in years. Everything lying on the table, floor, sink, is left untouched and room is left untidy. I could not find the TV remote and on the last evening started looking for it frantically lest I were billed for it. It was ensconced under the cushions on the sofa-not touched for TWO days! Perhaps, the staff is overworked and they are given very little time to clean a room because of the huge number of rooms (over 400, I think).
Breakfast room is huge with perhaps 200 covers. But the railway platform look is somehow avoided by breaking it into 3 compartmentalized zones. The variety is quite sumptuous too with good service by the staff.
Did someone complain about the WiFi? It's the best I have found in the world so far! Of course, its free and works well in the room, restaurant and lobby. But they even have 4 Mac machines with wide screens and a software that takes you to any email site, airlines etc, in a second. The Net speed is amazing, I thought. The lobby has been refurbished and my room wasn't so far (refurbishing is being done in steps) but still it was fine. The hotel even sells the day tickets by local transport- a very helpful feature. There is a Spa that I didn't use so can't comment. In short, ideal for some-not so attractive to others.

Room Tip: Try a room on the higher floor

Dear wineguyindia,

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review on Tripadvisor.

We very much appreciate your positive comments in general regarding your stay at the Novotel Amsterdam City.

I am sorry to read the cleanliness of your room was not what you have expected. The room maids start every morning at 8.30 a.m. to start cleaning the check outs. Usually after mid day they will start cleaning the stay overs. According to procedure they are not allowed to touch and/or remove the things of the guest. This to avoid missing things.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I like this Hotel , wonderful place as its located on quite area with no noise at all yet it’s still close to the city center by using the tram , only 15 minutes you will reach the Dam Square , 20 M to reach the central station and 10 minutes by train to reach the Airport .

If you are birder , its ideal location due to the nice opposite park where you can spot many birds and squirrels . also 10 Minutes walk from the hotel you could see the Typical Dutch landmark …a wonderful Windmill!

If you are Business man , it’s also so close to Rai conference center just 5 Minutes walk !

Friendly Staff, nice rooms and delicious breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank egysioux

Dear egisioux,

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review on Tripadvisor.

Nice to read you have noticed all the different birds and squirrels in our 'Amsterdamse Bos'.