“Lovely restaurant but uncomfortable nights sleep!”

Novotel Amsterdam City
Ranked #121 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed here last week as part of a little trip around Holland. The hotel is lovely and modern, the restaurant was really nice, breakfast buffet was one of the best I have had in a hotel and the staff generally were very helpful. The first night my son was supposed to be sleeping on the sofa bed but he woke in the night complaining his back hurt because the springs in the mattress were sticking into him. I gave up my half of the bed and slept in the sofa bed.
The next morning I was in so much pain with my back, I asked to be moved to another room. I was told they could swap the mattress over. I said this would be acceptable to us and they agreed to swap it over whilst we were out sight seeing. When we returned there was chocolates and sweets left and a note which was a nice touch. The mattress seemed ok. My son slept on it the following night ok meanwhile I slept in the double bed. My husband had complained that it was probably one of the least comfortable beds he had slept on and after a night on that bed with one small flat pillow I could hardly move my neck or back. My son had the spare pillow and I did not feel I could ring down in the early hours and disturb my sons sleep to get extra pillows and so I endured another miserable nights sleep. I did tell the staff member on check out and all they could say was 'oh dear, sorry about that'.
Another negative was the extortionate 22 euro parking fee although the hotel was easily positioned near a tram stop so it was easy to get into the city centre.
I really like the Novotel chain but I haven't slept on a hotel this uncomfortable before even in one of our budget chains.

Room Tip: A new bed! Better and more pillows.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Dirk B, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear sunseeker1974,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to read you and your family did not have a good night sleep. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At this moment we are testing new beds/mattresses/pillows etc. Before the end of the year we will have new beds in all of our rooms, because we are aware of your negative experiences.

You mentioned that you did not feel you could ring down in the early hours; our reception is 24/7 available. Also in the early hours. Please do not hesitate to contact them. At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Dirk B.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,897)

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights. The location is slightly out of the inner city, but close to trams and the subway to take you downtown. We upgraded to an executive room on the 15th floor. The room itself was no bigger, but the minibar and wifi were included. The view was nice, but really not worth the price. The hotel was clean, but the check in/check out desks in the lobby are not very effective. For it being such a big hotel, it took the staff a long time to both get us checked in and out. This is really a mega hotel and it shows in how it's being run. I had booked a value deal including breakfast. There was a line waiting for breakfast. When my husband and I got up to get a few more items from the buffet, we came back and found that our table had been cleaned and our food removed for the next people. After some apologies, we were allowed to sit down again. The restaurant is overpriced and the bar tender doesn't know what he's doing (mixed my husband a drink with scotch instead of whiskey). The room itself was clean and comfortable. It was an OK experience, but next time I'm sure we'll opt for a smaller hotel and get a more personable experience.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear KarinT72,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to read you did not have a personable experience. I can understand this is below your (and also mine) expectations. My sincerest apologies for this.

Regarding the check in and check out; we have the option to do that online. In that way you will gain time which is offcourse valuable.

At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We a family of three stayed at the hotel for four nights. This facility is excellent and one of the best places we have stayed.
Starting from the location which is just 20- 30 minutes to Schipol Airport, 15-25 minutes to the Central station .Tram 4 or Metro 51 takes approx 30 minutes to 15 minutes respectively. There are taxis 24×7 .
The hotel is a pet friendly one which showed many guests with dogs!!
The hotel has very good wifi facility along with three computers in lobby area.
The Gymnasium is a complete one with all equipments and the relaxing room is something really impressed me.
The variety in breakfast and the very friendly systematic routines eases the customers. This hotel offers one of the best breakfasts I have ever taken in a similar hotel.
The reception staff were very friendly and the rooms had virtually every facility.
Finally this hotel earns 100% from us and recommends to any body without any doubt.
Niluka

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Dirk B, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Niluka72,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. This is very much appreciated. Good to read you had such a wonderful stay with us! Hopefully we could give you the same, or even better, experience in the nearest future!

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed here early 2013 and found it very decent for the price. Nowhere we looked at was particularly cheap but we got ourselves a good deal here. Breakfast was brilliant, plenty of selection. The hotel is slightly out of the city, but a couple of minutes walk brings you to the tram station which you can take into the city centre.
I would definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear coly09,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I am glad to read you had a good stay with us. Hopefully we could give you the same, or even better, experience in the nearest future!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

The Dutch are extremely clean people, but this hotel is filthy. Hair all over the bathroom floor and sink and just grubby and made us feel sick. We won't be going again, there are too many other lovely choices in and around Amsterdam. Also breakfast was cold every morning and plates not cleared.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank discerning21
Dirk B, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear discerning21,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

If your looking to waist your Holliday standing in a lobby then this is the hotel for you. On arrival most of the staff were walking around while only 2 out of 6 counters were serving clients. This made the check in time horrendously long and painful. By the time my partner and I got served we still had to wait another 20 minutes while the receptionist in his words " stole a room from another client so we could have a room to check into". Take note that this was at 5pm when the room that we had booked 6 months earlier was not ready for us, when check in is supposed to be any time after 2pm. The following evening my wife and I ordered 2 hot chocolates "15 minutes they said it would take" but took close to an hour to be delivered to our room, which were cold by the time they had arrived. This hotel is clearly poorly managed.

On a lighter note, the rooms were excellent.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jaz M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. . I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.