“Nice”

XO Hotels Blue Square
Ranked #162 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 3 April 2011

Stayed 3 days in this hotel recently and it was great. The staff were friendly and the room was comfortable and quiet. The breakfast was also good.

Was taking taxi to and from center and that costs ca 20euro each way. You can take the tram if you dont mind and that costs only 2euro each way and public transportation tickets can be bought at the reception. I also read somewhere that you can rent bicycle there or nearby which I will be doing in my next stay here.

When I was checking out and had like 6-7hrs before my flight went I asked them to store my luggage in the hotel meanwhile, although I was no longer a guest staying there this was no problem and was sorted swiftly.

Going out one night I asked a reception guy or hotel manager or whatever standing near the reception desk where I could find different places and upon returning to the hotel again he was greeting me at the door, I was so stoned coming back I dident hear him at first so he stopped me at the door asking me if I found these places I was looking for and was extremely helpful and positive.

Overall one of the best hotels Ive stayed in. Great, helpful and serviceminded staff with great and affordable rooms that has nice bathroom and very comfy beds, tea/coffee making in room and also controlable aircon thing in room you can configure as much as you want.

Im going back to Amsterdam in little over a month again, although last time I was there was my first time in Amsterdam I will still most likely be going back to the excact same spot again over any other because I know this one is great, its nice comfy and has affordable price.

Thank you for giving me a great stay at your hotel and a positive expirience.

Best regards! Until next time.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Finn
1  Thank Kristoffer P
Write a ReviewReviews (2,025)

Reviewed 19 March 2011

I would certainly recommend the hotel. Good sized rooms that were well cleaned daily. Very comfortable bed and extra chairs in the room. Little short on hanging space if you are there for a longer period (we were struggling at 4 nights) but other storage available. The location was a concern but it turned out fine. We got a Connexion transfer from the airport (book a return - great value at 50 Euro for 2) and getting into the centre of Amsterdam or any of the other districts is very easy using the excellent tram system. Do not let location put you off. We had breakfast in the hotel (included in price) and it was a reasonable spread although not extensive. It was replenished regularly right up till the last time of admittance. Hotel staff very helpful with sights and directions and even provided some money off vouchers for some of the attractions we visited.

1  Thank MarkBStAlbans
Reviewed 15 March 2011

We originally booked another hotel but changed to this one, the service we received was excellent. The room was comfortable and clean. One of the best hotel beds we have ever slept in!!!!
Breakfast was of excellent choice and quality.
Staff were more than helpful and friendly Would definately stay here again.

Reviewed 14 March 2011

A quick review, but a superb hotel! Everything we needed was catered for and a great base for visiting all of Amsterdam's attractions! I will be booking this hotel again the next time I visit!

Reviewed 5 March 2011

This was not the hotel we originally booked for our stay in amsterdam as after reading awful reviews about our original hotel we decided to book a different place to stay.
We arrived at the hotel at around 9:30pm and were greeted by friendly staff who were very helpful when we had questions about getting into the city centre.
Our room was very clean and comfortable. We were shocked at how nice the room was for the amount we paid. The room was cleaned and the towels changed daily.
On our first night, there was a broken lightbulb in the bathroom which was fixed the next day without us having to ask.
Although the hotel is a little way out of the city centre, there are trams and buses which run regularly and are always on time so don't let distance put you off.
Our only issue was when it came to leaving. The hotel offer a taxi service to the airport and we booked our taxi the night before we were due to leave. After checking out and waiting quite a while for our taxi, a member of staff at the hotel asked what time our taxi was booked for and when we said it was 5 minutes late, phoned the taxi company to check where our taxi was. She informed us that they didnt have us on their list but they would be here as soon as possible. This was not the hotels fault, more a case of people getting their wires crossed.
This hotel was not our original choice. After reading awful reviews on our original booking we decided to change to this hotel and we are so glad that we did.
We had a fabulous stay and would definately return to this hotel in the futre.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2011

Lovely hotel couldn't fault it one bit just a little out of the way from the centre. However it is more than easily reached by trams & buses outside the hotel.Fab weekend away and the Dutch are some of the nice people i have ever met!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2011

I've been at the Blue Square for three weeks on business, leaving for weekends only and then back on Sundays, and my experience is largely positive.
First thing, this hotel delivers an overall 4-stars experience at 3-stars price if you catch the right offer; it is well served by public transportation; it has a strict non-smoking policy; and it offers free wireless connectivity, which is a huge plus (although signal may become weak and spotty at times in some rooms). Keep in mind the surroundings are not exciting (to say the least).
I've been in different rooms and they were all spacious, comfortable and very quiet; south wing may be noisier due to road traffic, and those featuring big windows require some extra heating (just crank it up a little).
I've had some weird moments too. At checkin time on a Sunday evening I've once been given a room that smelled like an entire army had been smoking inside it all day long, and I've had it changed promptly on request. Later the same week I entered my room in late afternoon only to find out someone had been smoking inside it (!), again had to report to the manager who immediately offered to change it or have it cleaned with a spray (I chose the latter and it worked); still have to understand who the smoker was... I can only assume it's been the chamber maid. And lastly I've been given a room where climate control was broken (fixed the day after) and the desk had no chair (brought immediately on request).
I have to underline the staff has always been helpful and nice while solving those minor issues. Albeit not perfect, this hotel can't possibly be beaten thanks to its outstanding price/quality ratio.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business