From the outside Blue Square doesn't look like much, but don't be put off by that; it's actually a lovely hotel. I'll summarise the pros and cons:
- Sizeable, clean rooms with decent bathroom and safe
- Daily and adequate cleaning of rooms
- Good value for money in general
- Friendly reception staff
- Nice little hotel bar in lobby
- Quiet location
- Very good food in restaurant and breakfast buffet (was staying on a B&B basis and always enjoyed the continental breakfast)
- Close to transport links
- Location is the main downside; be prepared to walk and hour and a half to get to the city centre. However, there are handy tram links at the top of the street that will have you there in 20 minutes. Also, on the wall at reception was a map showing the location of the hotel in relation to the city centre; I asked for a copy (as my partner and I planned to walk to most places) and was given one without difficulty.
- Double rooms are continental, i.e. twin beds - not great for couples!
As you can see though the downsides are few; I would definitely use this hotel again. Just bear in mind how far it is to travel from the city centre if you're planning on a night out in Amsterdam.More
- Free Wifi