“Comfortable”

XO Hotels Blue Square
Ranked #169 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel as part of our Contiki tour adventure. Hotel is comfortable and clean. Rooms are small which is not really a problem as we were hardly in the rooms. Coffee shops and laudromatt nearby. Food for me was bland. Nice location, easy to travel if using public transport and not far from red light district and pubs!

Room Tip: Book ground floor to be safe - only one lift was working and apparently thats the norm!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,044)

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel last year with my husband, the room was very clean the staff are really friendly and helpful, the breakfast buffet is excellent ,it is abit of away outside Amsterdam about 20 minutes, but the local transport is very good , plus it is just nice to see the area, .

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael E
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I would not recommend this place. Dirty small rooms, wifi is not in every room. Breakfast is ok. Parking costs 15€ a day. Do not take rooms 220 and 218 - the worst rooms that I've ever seen!!!! Two small beds by the wall - seems to me like in train, very small bathroom.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Pavel P
Shihotelgroup, Front Office Manager at XO Hotels Blue Square, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear mister Pavel,

I am sorry to hear that your stay in our hotel did not meet up with our expectations.
Despite the mentioned rooms are not the most spacious in our hotel, all rooms should be totally clean. therefor we work with an experienced team. We will pass the message to the departments responsable. Normally room moves can be given if guests are not happy with their room.
Hopefully we will get another change to show you we are able to offer you a pleasant stay.
Welcome at any time.

Best regards,

Best Western PLUS Hotel Blue Square

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Good value hotel, it is a bit of a way outside central Amsterdam but very good and easy transport to get to the City Centre in about 20 minutes. Comfortable double bed, TV with BBC1 channel. Nice buffet breakfast with great selection of breads, cold meats, cheese, yoghurts and fresh fruit and also cooked bacon, scrambled eggs, baked beans, tomatoes, mushrooms etc. The rooms were a little dark and could do with refurbishing. Nice restaurant for evening meal in hotel and also lots of restaurants in local area to visit too. As I mentioned before excellent public transport 7.50 euros gets you 24 hour pass for trams and bus (not connexion buses) 20 minutes tram to Amsterdam and 30 minutes by bus to Airport.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 May 2014

A few friends and me stayed at the Best Western Blue Square Hotel in May 2014. We had three rooms between all seven of us, and although we were not next to each other, we were all situated on the same floor. Our stay there for two nights was entirely satisfactory, however, the morning of checking out from the hotel on the 29th May at around 4:30am, I experienced the worst service I had ever encountered in my life. I ordered a cab to take us to the airport, which was confirmed by the receptionist on duty. However, during the process of checking out, there seemed to be a misunderstanding on his behalf, which meant that no cab was booked. Luckily, a friend booked another cab, meaning we would not miss our flight. Nonetheless, the receptionist proceeded to shout at me, arguing that it was my fault no cab was booked (it was obvious he did not book the cab on purpose as we made two calls that morning to confirm the booking). His attitude on the phone and on the reception was entirely disgraceful. He provided a lack of hospitality and was unimaginably rude. As a non-confrontational customer, I was surprised to find myself arguing with a member of staff who showed no signs of remorse, but instead insisted that the fault was my own. I asked for his name on several occasions, and each time he refused, deeming it ‘irrelevant’. After I tried to end the conversation, he retaliated by threatening me with the words “what are you going to do when your cab doesn’t come, you’re going to come running back to me”.

I would not recommend this hotel to my family, friends, or anyone reading this review. The time I stayed in Amsterdam was incredibly exciting and memorable, only to be dampened last minute by the atrocious service.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank s j
Shihotelgroup, Front Office Manager at XO Hotels Blue Square, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear S J,

I am shocked to read what happened to you during check out.
You would help us a lot by providing some more information, like a check out date so we are able to have a talk with the involved employee.
Providing a good service towards our guests is of the utmost importance.
I hope the delay did not ruin the rest of your travel itinerary.
Your message has been printed out and will be read by the entire team in order to have a clear example of how service should not be offered.
I would like to offer you my most sincere apologies and hope we will have another oportunity in the future to show you that this really has been an exception and will not happen again.

Grateful to receive more details regarding your booking I send you my best regards,

J Hammenga
Front Office Manager
Best Western PLUS Hotel Blue Square
Amsterdam

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed in the hotel in May with my friend. We had double room I was a bit disappointed because the room was small and there were no fridge. Overall the hotel is great and clean which is very important to me.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Me and my partner travelled to Amsterdam for the first time in 2011 (ONLY NOW GETTING ROUND TO UPDATING TRIP ADVISOR). We stayed in the Blue Square Hotel 4* for 3 nights & 4 days the over all holiday cost us £360 which I thought was pretty good for what we had. The hotel was superb it was clean and always looked fresh, it was based around 10/15mins from Dam Square. The trams where just outside the hotel and came around every 5mins so getting in to the square wasn't a problem tram 14 is what used for our time there & it was around 7 euro for an all day ticket. There was a shop, chip shop and kebab place right opposite so stocking up on essentials wasn't a problem. The rooms of the hotel were basic but clean and we also had our rooms cleans whilst we were there.

Amsterdam is a great place and so much to do, we went out every day and night to Dam Square went to the attractions and shopping malls, basically everything in Amsterdam we done if we could. Some places can be expensive for food or drinks but it just depends on where you go really. It's an experience to remember seeing the Red Light District, The Coffee Shops & general entertainment in Dam Square was amazing. Its really worth giving it a go!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple