“Interesting cakes, so-so ambience” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of De taart van m'n tante

De taart van m'n tante
Ranked #33 of 103 Dessert in Amsterdam
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Dutch, Cafe
Good for: Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: De Pijp
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Interesting cakes, so-so ambience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

As we were in the area (just been shopping in nearby Albert Cuyp Market) and has heard of this "must see" camp and kitsch cafe, we popped in for a coffee and cake.

Have to admit that the selection of cakes on the menu was interesting, even amusing, although there seemed to be a lack of variety when it came to ordering. Two selected were gone and one of those we did get was the last piece (not the freshest).

Service was perfunctory, but maybe being there when it was 3/4 empty wasn't conducive to atmosphere and staff motivation.

Not convinced about how clean it was either - sticky tablecover, etc.

However, for a quirky little example of the sort of places Amsterdam offers, worth a look if you are passing by.

• Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
“Delicious cake, snarky service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

I had the best lemon tart of my life and my friend the chocolate mousse cake which he said was very nice. It was hard to enjoy the desserts though as the service we received was super snarky. The desserts were slapped down in front of us, some of my friends chocolate cake landed on my lap and the server saw it and walked away...I thought to grab more napkins...but no - just walked away.
We had tea, I ordered a side of milk - it never came.
I won't go back.
The atmosphere was cute - very kitschy...but a whisper on the sad and dusty side. This place needs an overhaul - staff included!

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Vlijmen
“Nice cakes, shabby chic, but fairly high prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

My wife loves the pink and retro, so she was happy, especially as this was a surprise visit.
The cakes were good, and lots of choice.
I personally found the decor somewhat too shabby (did not look overly clean), but that is a matter of taste.
However - not cheap. Charging € 5 for most cakes (even a simple slice of apple pie or a small flat lemon tart) is high in comparison with many patissiers that have a room with tables for their clientele.
And if you serve a capuccino, you should put chocolate powder on top - or at least ask the customer whether they would like chocolate or cinnamon.
Maybe also train the personnel to stop young beggars from coming in and bothering the customers ? And people with dogs ?

Summary: nice, but room for improvement.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank vsop-50
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Pinkland!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

Yes it's kitch but this is the reason to go there! We went in Der Pjpe district to see the AlbertCuyp Markt and this place is very well integrated with the colors and the dynamism you can feel in this area. Everyting, including the window is a cute overload! Reading other reviews I noticed many complained about the service but when I went there the guy who served us was nice and fast.
We had the MarieAntoinette cake, a pleasure for the eyes and it was also delicate with a scent of strawberry. Cappuccino, caffelatte and tea are very good as well. I really liked that every table has a differt cover,different chairs and a cake on it. The walls are covered with photos of the fantastic cakes they create. At the table in front there was a family with two little kids and they seemd to be in heaven (like me to be honest!) ! I have nothing to complain about, I love it!

• Visited December 2012
Beijing
“Best cake in a long long time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

OK so I was a guy traveling solo for the day so not the token demographic of this place and i was there for a very short space of time as I waited for the Heinekken experience to be opened. Anyways, a lovely young lady who had just started her first day served me an awesome cherry pie and latte that was inexplicably good. The interior of the place was very unusual and worth a quick stop for a coffee alone, if you are in the area its definately worth a stop!

• Visited October 2012