“Free tours in Amsterdam”

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Amsterdam
2-Hour Alternative Walking Tour of Amsterdam
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I have learnt from my colleagues about Sandemans New Amsterdam Tours and googled the info. They offer a number of tours:

Free tour of Amsterdam
Red Light District Tour
Famous Coffeeshops
City Bike Tour

I was able to attend Red Light District Tour and Free tour of Amsterdam. A really great idea. Really nice guides, who speak Enlgish well, like the city of Amsterdam, well-motivated and inspired by the idea of showing tourists around.
Red Light District Tour is just fantastic. The guide seems to tell us everything he knew and showed a great number of highlights. Highly recommend this tour.

Free tour of Amsterdam is really nice and it is based on tips only. There is no fee paid at the beginning of the tour. You tip your guide the way you want. The guide took us through the Red Light district to a free hall of Amsterdam Museum which has some free exhibits and then to the Joordan and ended the tour near Anne Franke house. The guide was really friendly and nice.
However I would have expected to see more of Amsterdam during this tour: Rembrandtplein or Museumplein.

All in all I am satisfied with Sandemans New Amstersam Tours and would not hesitate to recommend them.
One tip from me: when you look for them near the National Monument, please walk around the monument, look for people in red t-shirts and possibly with a red umbrella. At first I failed to find them for the famous coffeeshops tour :(

1  Thank Julletta
There are newer reviews for SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Amsterdam

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a City History Tour in Amsterdam. Our Guide was Michael and he did a really good job ! It was not the typical boring tour everybody does know. He had a lot of jokes and funny stories to tell to almost every point he was guiding us. I can really advice the Tour and also Michael as a guide

1  Thank Felix P
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I made a day trip to Amsterdam on April 22nd and only had 7 hours to see the sights. I had taken Sandeman's Free tours before (Berlin, Prague, Lisbon Paris and Munich) always good. I did have a problem as if any guide showed at the train station I certainly did not see them however asked someone where Dam Square was an made it on time. Our guide was Geert and he was brilliant I loved his knowledge and his little stories. He was quite funny too and I felt he took the time to talk to each of us. I loved Amsterdam and hope to go back someday and spend more time and maybe take more Sandeman tour.

1  Thank mediaqueen44
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We always travel on a budget so the free walking tour is one of the first things we do in each city. The Amsterdam tour was especially good. Berber was a very informative guide. She was very up beat and approachable. She made the right amount of jokes and made it easy to follow her. It was neat to have a local give the tour since I always seem to get transplants in other cities.

1  Thank Brittany F
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We have taken Sandemans free tours in 4 cities in Europe (Paris, London, Jerusalem and Amsterdam), and will continue to take their tours wherever possible. We would also have done one in Copenhagen but the timing didn't work for our cruise stop.

Michael was our guide and we spent over 3 hours walking through various neighbourhoods. We stopped for a bio-break and snack at a great take-out/ eat-in restaurant with lots of choice and freshly made food and liked it so much we went back for dinner on another night.

These tours are different than others simply because the guides are young, friendly and very knowledgeable. It's a great way to see the city so that you can orient yourself and go back to the neighbourhoods you are interested in.

No need to book online, if the group gets too large they just add another group. You can't miss their red shirts and umbrellas if its raining. Don't forget to tip, the guides need to make a living to continue providing this great service for tourists.