“Well worth while”

Ranked #1 of 415 Tours in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Our family of four did a tour with Michael Jäger on our first full day in Amsterdam. We have been here almost an entire week now and I can honestly say this was one of the best activities we did here. The 3 hour tour will give you a very good understanding of Amsterdam culture, the various neighbourhoods, RLD, Jordaan, the narrowest house, the widest bridge, coffee shops etc. Michael has a great way to engage with the large group of tourists and he ensured he knew all the different nationalities that he had on board before the tour began. It was interesting to see the easy way he interacted with Americans, Irish, Brazilians, Columbians and Mexicans with great humour and banter! Although a German guy, he had in depth knowledge of Amsterdam and it was obvious that he was proud of the city. He was always keen to point out the home grown little Dutch businesses, when asked for advice on local food and restaurants. He even provided us with a little cheese tasting at the end!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I did this tour in January my sister had done it before and she said was good to have a general view of the city. I don’t remember the name of my guide, but at the same time there was another guide for the Spanish tour and she looks better, our guide even told us a few time we will get there in a minute (do what the Spanish group was doing) but well we never did, I had the felling the guide was always in hurry.

Now about the tour itself, right from the beginning I had the feeling that the guide put the tape on and did the tour in automatic mode, he even react to our reaction to his jokes before we react amazing.

The tour give some information about Amsterdam, but nothing that I felt that I had learn something, (except 2 or 3 references to the language) actually most of the information had the propose to be fun and make everyone laugh than been accurate for example the explanations for red light district and some of the information was wrong or at least shows that the guide never visit some museums in Amsterdam and he doesn’t really know the history of the country as I learn later when visit the synagogue the Jewish museum and the museum un Utrecht.

They also have a break to rest a bit in the middle of the tour and they have a deal with a restaurant there I thought this moment was very disorganized and the restaurant was ok I thought expect when later I went to other restaurants in Amsterdam ( I spend a week there) and notice that one was too expensive for what they offer you, I guess they only stop there because they are paid for it…

The second half of the tour was a bit better but to be honest most of the things I don’t remember, not good enough to leave a memory.

Another complain, this time not for the guide but for a girl writing down our names at the beginning when I arrive I was one of the first and ask how to go to the Van Gogh museum, my mother didn’t want to come on the tour and they give as the wrong directions.

2  Thank Jose_edu
DennisSNE, Guest Relations Manager at SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Hello,

Thanks for the review and also for your further explanation in response to the personal message that we sent. Since we pride ourselves on memorable, entertaining and engaging tours, it is deeply disappointing that your experience with us was anything less than excellent. Our record of customer service is generally excellent because we only work with the best guides in the city, and because those guides learn from constructive feedback such as that you've given to us. We promise to use it to work with your guide and bring the tour up to the standard of others, such as your sisters, and would be proud to recommend.

We want to thank you again and hope that you will choose to join us again while you are on your travels to see that this was an isolated case.

Best Regards,
Dennis

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Awesome walking-tour during the day, Julian was a real hero in explaining the Dutch peculiarities and local habits.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I had the tour with Julian. He was very informative and had funny stories to tell about the city, very helpful in terms of what to do and where to go, he loves his job so much that makes you want to pursue such career.

1  Thank Bengesht
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I took a walking AND a biking tour with Julian. He was awesome!
He was knowledgeable, funny, and kept the entire group motivated and happy.

I would highly recommend the tour, and Especially Julian.

1  Thank David H