“Appalling.”

Ranked #284 of 328 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Appalling.”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is unquestionably the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.Yes,it's fairly cheap;but not excusably so.I don't mind staying in small bedrooms;but not smelly(the Toilet/shower room ),scruffy(peeling wallpaper)and potentially dangerous (the large broken shard of glass on the one mirror.)The hotel's only favourable commendation would be its position - but this,of course,is not something the staff/management can be given any credit for.For those interested in seeing how bad it's possible for a Hotel to actually be,I suppose I would perversely recommend a visit.To add insult to injury,there was even a large Beehive right outside my bedroom window!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Greek first
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Absolutely terrible. Room in basement, damp beds, mold in bathroom, bugs in rooms. Mold on curtains. Common areas absolutely disgusting also. Washed everything from my shoes to my toiletry bag as soon as I got home. For the price you pay, you could stay at a much nicer hostel, that isn't as far of a walk from the city's center. I can't state enough how absolutely horrible this hotel was.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, try to get a room on a top floor where you can safely open a window. Also...
1 Thank Anna H

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Muelheim an der Ruhr, Germany
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We booked this place with a group of friends and I can't say that I would recommend it to anyone. The only good thing about this hotel is the very good location right by the Heineken brewery. Otherwise, I can confirm everything from the other reviews: small rooms, mold in the bathrooms, smelly rooms, et cetera. Do yourself a favor and look for a different place to stay.

1 Thank mklck
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We only have ourselves to blame but I do wish we read the comments before we booked this hotel.
Colossal Nightmare – comes to mind when we walked into this hotel. Originally we booked with their sister hotel (Hotel Paganini) but upon check-in we were thrown into a room at this hotel – right next to reception (Room 001).
The man at the front desk looked up when we walked in, rolled his eyes and said “Name or something?”.
The “cell”, apart from the dust, mould on the bathroom ceiling, no blackout curtains (and our room was on street level), lack of double glazing, holes in the bed sheets, bathroom that flooded, one lumpy pillow (we think it was that), no heating, TV that didn’t work/no remote, no cupboard, NO soundproofing, room size was the width and length of two single beds – was OK.
On the first night we got back in quite late and decided to shower. We let the water run for 5mins to allow it to warm up and we were greeted with the shrilling sound of the fire alarm which appears was set off by the steam. After about 5mins the man at reception came to our cell to enquire on what happened. We explained it was from the steam and he left. In the morning the lady on reception said she needed access to our cell to check the fire alarm. When we came back that night we noticed there was a wire sticking out of the alarm. We thought this a little odd so, we ran the hot water again to see if we could set the alarm off. It didn’t go off so we believe they cut the fire alarm (and in a building like this – that it not what you want to know).
It’s Amsterdam, and people are out late and make noise when coming in – we totally get that. In any other hotel it wouldn’t be a problem but when you’re in a hotel where you’re only separated by the lowest grade plywood it suddenly becomes an issue.
First night it sounded like there was a herd of elephants running around on top of us. Second night, our lovely/not lovely neighbours kept locking themselves out of the room, screaming expletives and repeatedly knocked on the door to get someone to let them in. From what we could gather – someone was having a bad experience on some pretty funky stuff. This went on for HOURS and, for two young women staying in a below substandard hotel – that is not cool.
Needless to say, we decided against paying 4euros to eat in the grotty breakfast bar.
Really, we could write pages and pages more but you get the drift. I wouldn’t let my dog stay in this dirty, unsafe, disaster of a “hotel”. I know it’s tempting to stay somewhere on the cheap for a little break but PLEASE – DO NOT BOOK HERE This place, and its’ sister hotel (which has a worse rating then this place, so I suppose we did get some luck!) need to be shut down immediately. How they are still allowed to stay open for business is beyond me. It’s a squat of the lowest kind.
AVOID AVOID AVOID.

3 Thank Alyssa B
Middelburg, The Netherlands
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I can't spreak for the rest of the rooms but family room 503 was disgusting! I realize this is a budget hotel but for €271,00 I don't expect a moldy shower, moldy pillow and a toiletbrush that.... lets just say, shoud have been thrown out years ago. Two legs on 2 of the single beds broke which meant a very uncomfortable night. I would not recommend nor return to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Astoria, New York
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Reading all that comment i felt like i have the chance i stayed 3 Nights in a twin room on the last floor with a nice view the check-in was fast,tight room, perfect location , very clean bathroom, good buffet breakfast for only 4 euros you can't expect better for that budget .

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank amn1250
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

On arriving late Friday night we were told we were staying in a different hotel as there was no room to stay here, even though we had booked and confirmed a room 4weeks previous. The place where we were to stay is apparently a sister hotel but it didn't state this when we were booking it. We were very frustrated as the room we were put in was small dirty and smelled. The Asian man on the desk didn't care and basically did nothing to help improve out stay. As it was nearly 1am we had other choice but to stay for the night. At half 7 the next morning we were woken by an Asian woman who asked us about the issue we had staying she then told us to leave, pushed her way into the room and tried to take our belonging, she physically pushed us and try to steal. We had to call the police as we were frightened and unsafe. This sounds like a made up story and me and my friends are still shocked it happened. This place needs to be shut down it is disgraceful. Luckyily we walked 10mins up the street to the Apollo museum hotel where the staff are very nice and helpful and the hotel is lovely.