“Corrupt hotel who takes money any way they can”
Review of Iris Hotel

Iris Hotel
Ranked #265 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Oswestry, United Kingdom
“Corrupt hotel who takes money any way they can”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Awful customer service. The sink was damaged after I left the hotel (I'm a mature school teacher who travelled to the city to collect resources from the Jewish quarter for teaching students about the holocaust not a sink smashing hooligan). Within hours of departing they took money over £200 from my bank account without permission to pay for damage I never caused (check the small print on everything including forms signed when you first arrive even if tired and trusting, there is a clause that says they have full access to your account if they require and don't need your consent). They would not provide any proof that replacing the sink cost that extortionate amount of money they just take the whole amount of the money and don't prove it has been spent - the equivalent of robbery and they must love that they can legally do it! I emailed three times to clear the matter up but they only replied once. The hotel isn't awful and the staff are nice to your face but someone else broke the sink and they then claim excessive amounts to repair it. Avoid this hotel they will treat you awfully if there is a problem, worst hotel service in 30 years of travelling. Truly horrendous! Stay anywhere but here. I left early in the morning to catch a flight and there was no staff member at reception to allow me to checkout. There was a sign saying "in emergency press this button" - I obviously didn't press the button because checking out of a hotel isn't an emergency. I dutifully left the key under the hatch to avoid waking people up as is often the case in many hotels. As another way to explain robbing my money they claimed it was common sense to press an emergency button when checking out and implied it was a sign of deception and bad character. I had a lovely time in Amsterdam but since leaving the hotel the endless headache of resolving a problem which was not caused by myself had left me feeling drained, used, abused and totally helpless. If someone offered me a hammock in a tree in Amsterdam I would take it over this hotel and so should you, a hammock won't empty your wallet when you aren't looking by using your bank details you provided without realising.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Simon J
Hotel Iris R, Manager at Iris Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Hotel Iris Staff and Management would like to provide the following facts to ensure that a truthful account of the situation has been presented:

1. Mr. Simon J. left the hotel before Reception opened and without informing anyone - Hours of operation are clearly posted at Reception, written on guest key packets and mentioned during the check-in process.
2. All arriving guests are asked to sign a standard Guest Registration Form that includes the policies of the hotel - Non-smoking, damage/theft, etc. Nothing is hidden or unclear and it certainly does not give the hotel full access to anyone's bank account.
3. Mr. Simon J. was contacted by telephone shortly after his departure informing him of the damage found and explaining the subsequent steps - that a damage/cost assessment would be done and in the meantime, authorization would be taken on his credit card for a specified amount. Photos were also sent of the damaged equipment as to prevent any misunderstandings.
4. Mr. Simon J admitted to having placed a HOT kettle on the damaged area of the sink!
5. Assessment was completed within a few days and Mr. Simon J was contacted informing him of the total cost.
6. Upon receiving this news, Mr. Simon J (in writing) threatened to publicize negative reviews of the hotel if it attempted to charge him.
7. Mr. Simon J was charged the cost of replacing the damaged equipment.
8. Shortly after, Mr. Simon J wrote this and a similar review on another site attempting to portray the hotel in a negative light for simply seeking compensation for damage done to the property. The other review has since been deleted by the organization as it was found to be untrue and used as retribution rather than its intended purpose.

With this information we hope to have provided our past, present and future guests with a better understanding of the situation. We would like it to be clear that Mr. Simon J was never perceived as or made to be a person of bad character. Mistakes happen, however it is unfair to attempt to portray the hotel negatively rather than assume responsibility. Furthermore, the use of Tripadvisor as leverage to avoid responsibility or payback, threatens to undermine its intention - to provide genuine guest feedback that allows others to make an educated decision regarding their accommodation.

We encourage anyone interested in our hotel to please see all of our publications and/or to contact us directly for more information.

With kind regards from Amsterdam,

Hotel Iris Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Katowice, Poland
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I have been in this hotel in October and I can not recommend it. The rooms are really small and the bathroom is simply tiny!!!! Bigger man will not be able to even sit on the toillet!!! However the biggest problem was lack of the heating-we were freezing!!!. It was 5C outside and the reception was asked twice to put it on. Unfortunately there was an `issue` and it couldn`t be turned on-probably savings... Anyway we have asked for the extra blankets but again unfortunately there wasn't any... Amsterdam is a lovely city but this hotel is terrible!!! Choose a different one....

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Katarzyna P
marcelscheepstra, Manager at Iris Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
The heating system is providing 23 degrees celsius.
We provide if possible extra blankets.

Unfortunaly there was some miscommunication.

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 9 October 2013

The hotel is good for 2-3 nights, the room and the bathroom is too small for a longer stay.
The hotel is clean and the staff is polite. The location is good approx 2,5 km from the Central station by walk or you can choose tram No. 4.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Hoborc
thank you for your postive response. We hope to welcome you as guest in amsterdam again.

We always listen to our guest and so we can improve our services. Lately we improved our breakfast facility and we have extend our services during the day
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We had a bad experience last week-end.
A separate bed for a couple, a dirty room in the basement and a very noisy staff in the front desk which is located also in the basement.
We spent 240 EUR for 2 nights, we checked out 3 hours after our check in to change the hotel.
The staff did not make any effort to retain us or to figure how to solve the issue.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AhmedBR
We offering double or twin rooms as one room type. This an preference and goes by the house.
This is supposed to be mentioned at the bookings websites. We informed al agencies about this.
We advise to book directly by our hotel. If you book by an booking partner please contact us directly if the bedding is important for you.
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

I'm not sure what other people are talking about . From reading other reviews I had major reservations about this place but was really great. Staff are so nice and friendly . Yes rooms are small and stairs are steep but unless you are an OAP or morbidly obese then you will be grand. Rooms were clean and serviced daily too ....location is fantastic too with trams to city center about 3 minute walk away. Would 100% stay here again

• Stayed September 2013
Thanks for the great review. Please let us know when you come to amsterdam. Appreciation and understandness for the effort our staff is doing to improve our guests stay in the great city of amsterdam is the best compliment we can get.

In the main time we upgraded some rooms. New carpets, new beds etc.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Stayed in the quad room on the top floor. The room size was too small for four people. It felt like a hostel.

Positive side : Friendly staff. Location is not too bad.

Negative side: Mosquitoes in the summer, couldn't sleep at night due to bites. Couldn't close the window either as it was too stuffy and hot ( providing a fan would be nice). Very narrow stairs, my parents (late 40s) tripped and almost fell couple of times. Hygiene is questionable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
thanks for your critics. Feedback is welcome
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
Reviewed 19 September 2013

It was the time for IBC2013. I was busy and had no time to reserve hotel at earlier time. So I had to order the rooms in this hotel. Me and four my colleges arrived Iris Hotel at 13th of September. Of course we understood that it was not the best hotel for our money. But this time in Amsterdam is really popular in the broadcast and post-production world. First of all we were surprised a little by handmade "special offer for IBC guests" printed and put in clear plastic. Then by size and looking of the rooms. There were no rebuild and repair for a long years. Next morning there was the water not hot enough. But we were really busy at the exhibition so we only had a sleep in our rooms. At the evening there was really cold in our rooms. But at the nighttime they switch on some hotter. At the morning there was hot and boring. Water was still not hot enough.
The most amazing thing had happened at the last day. This day we've got not worm but ice-cool water in our bathrooms. Maybe because of it I forgot in my room some cheese which was bought at Altmeer were I went especially for this. We checked out at the morning but we left our luggage in the hotel. So they know that we'll be back. It was not the first time when I forget my things in the hotel rooms. But always I've got my things. Once some hotel in the USA sent my something by DHL. At the evening I asked at the reception about my cheese. Lady answered me that the room was cleaned and there were nothing there. When I asked here to take a look I was answered that there are another guests. I asked her to do this by herself and described were I left the cheese. No reaction. After that I told here about the ice-water in our rooms at the morning as the goodby. Wide-opened eyes were the answer.
This hotel may be only the love-hotel but not the hotel for the guests of so important forum which can be reserved on booking.com

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AlVol_sun
marcelscheepstra, Eigenaar at Iris Hotel, responded to this review, 3 November 2014
Thank you for your review. We take all feedback serious.

Please book next time directly by our website for the direct discount.