“Great location, noisy room”

BackStage Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #123 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
London
“Great location, noisy room”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed one night at the Backstage Hotel, having chosen it on the basis of its location. It is located on Leidsegracht and so is within walking distance of the town centre. However as we were given a room in the basement of the building, the only windows in the room opened directly onto the street at ankle level, so we could hear every car/bike/person that went past the hotel. No air con so no chance of shutting the window. Shared bathroom was clean, reception staff were effective without being friendly.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Good value good location the stairs are steep but this adds to the character of the place great do your own breakfast and the staff can't do enough for you, if there are four of it will pay to get a taxi. From the airport as the ticket system can be abit confusing

• Stayed June 2014
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I bought tickets for me and my mom to a concert, so we decided to stay the night in Amsterdam and do some shopping the next day before heading home. The central location of this hotel and the positive reviews on tripadvisor convinced us to book this hotel.
Well, the staff was quite nice and helpful. However, this is basically a hostel with twin rooms!

Just to mention some things: you had to bunk the door to open it, as the lock got stuck every time; the towels were stained; pillow covers and sheets were creased; the walls were very thin(!!) and you could hear others easily, also there is a bar on the ground floor, so if you open your windows in the summer you can practically join the conversation, plus due to its location there are taxi and bus honks throughout the night (even a heavy sleeper like me struggled); but most importantly.. it STANK! The smell was awful! You couldn't turn in your bed, because the smell of the sheets would wake you up.

I have stayed in many hostels during my travels, and I usually don't mind the things I mentioned (just bring perfume and earplugs). However, it was stated as a HOTEL and we paid together 120 euros just for 1 night!

On a positive side, the breakfast was amazing, but you had to pay an additional 6,50euro.

So, if you plan to party until early in the morning and then chat with people at the bar, have breakfast and catch an early flight, it's fine. Just think of it as a very expensive hostel due to its location.

P.S. I would give it 2 stars, because of nice staff and breakfast, but the high average is so misleading, I feel obliged to bring it down a bit by giving it 1 star.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sunflair
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel on 2 different nights last month. I love it. Many things in this city are tricky to find so do learn your directions first. Download the directions to your phone first.

The rooms are designed to make you feel like a rock-star in a green room before a concert. That's how I felt. Both times I stayed in the basement and curious pedestrians often peep down into the room. I felt extra rock star when that happened. I must admit the second time I went there, the room did have a bit of a stinky BO smell to it... but I didn't complain because I could imagine at least my favourite singer coming off stage and rolling around in the sheets, somehow made me like it more. Then the drum kit fitting light covers became an absolute delight.

The rooms are clean, very clean, so were the showers and toilets. The staff were really friendly, cracked jokes, carried my stupidly heavy and giant bag up and down the stairs with the smile. Even the front door too - when they saw the case was bigger than me.

I would stay there again and again in fact I will... I will be booking accommodation there in July very shortly.

Room Tip: I liked basement room 4 better than room 3 because the shower was more private in room 4
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Swansea County, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed at the Backstage Hotel for 3 nights last weekend. I was really happy with the location of the hotel. It's very close to the museums, and only 20-minute walk to Dam Square, Anne Frank's House and everything you'd want to do whilst in Amsterdam.

The hotel was a little tricky to find, because we got the bus from the airport. It dropped us in Leidseplein, which isn't far to walk but when you don't know where you're going it does take a while. We just asked locals though who were friendly and pointed us in the right direction.

We arrived early (at around 9:30am) and couldn't check-in until around 2:00pm which didn't bother us at all. We left our luggage behind the bar (we felt it was safe enough though) and went out for the day. The staff were really friendly and we asked for recommendations for cool bars to go to in the evenings, and the best way for getting home at night, etc.

The stairs in the hotel are steep (same as everywhere else), but luckily we were on the first floor so we only had to climb one flight of stairs. Toilets and shower were shared, so in the hall way, but we had a sink in our room. I really liked our room; it was clean, had a nice tv in it, good lighting. It was basic but we weren't looking for luxury, we were looking for good location.

My only 2 negatives to say are that the hotel is a bit pricey (137 Euros a night (for 2 people)), but then it is in the centre and we personally couldn't find much cheaper. Also the walls are very thin so you can hear pretty much everything going on. When someone unlocked their door in the room next to ours in the middle of the night, it sounded like someone was unlocking our door and coming into the room! Scared us a couple of times! But actually our sleep wasn't disturbed and overall the hotel seemed quite quiet; guests that weren't there didn't exactly make a racket.

Overall I'd stay here again. The biggest pro is the location and when you're in Amsterdam for only a few days, location is everything.

Room Tip: Go for the first or second floor (if you're going to be there on a Tuesday which is their open m...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Clogher, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This hotel was a disaster to find. The place was covered in net and scaffolding. I was convinced it was where I thought it was, but I could not see it at all, very frustrating, a sign on the street was 100% necessary. Google Maps was needed to actually show we were standing beside it.

Hotel on entry was absolutely fine, nice, modern but very basic.
Service at front desk was ok, the guy didn't seem very sure of himself and was a bit awkward but all was sorted after 5mins.

We had booked a room with a shared bathroom which we had no problem with. These rooms are located in the basement. A total of 3/4 rooms are down there, as well as 2 toilets and a shower. The facilities were fine, no issues. We were fortunate to be located directly opposite them and this was a great bonus.

The room itself was rotten with weed. Window had not been opened since it was cleaned and the place smelled awful, it did eventually pass. It was a very basic room, done to an ok level. Lighting had to be extremely dark or extremely bright. The window in the room wasn't all that accessible either and we had to stand on part of the wall to reach it. Sink worked, towels provided and keycard/security was all fine.

The beds were basically tight together, only that 2 single duvets covered them as opposed to a double. Pillows were fine and all was comfy. iPod dock was a fantastic extra for us, we constantly listened to music, TV was barely used. There was NO aircon in the room and that was a real disaster. There was a fan in the 'wardrobe' but it just pushed warm air around the room. There is one UK power source in the room and around 3 european ones, would have loved another UK option but that is a minor complaint.

Our room was not serviced after our first night, we came back and nothing had been done. I requested fresh towels and the receptionist offered to hoover the room. A nice gesture but fresh linen was the least they could do. We did not have this problem after our second night.

I picked this hotel on the basis that we were attending a gig in the Melkweg. We were 2mins away and this was fantastic however we soon grew bored of our area. We had to taxi to the places we wanted to go at night and worked out our area was only beneficial for one night of our stay. A place near central station would have been a much wiser choice.

This hotel was good and completely acceptable, the above criticisms are purely for those that are under the illusion this place is something completely different. I would not take my girlfriend here but it was perfect for myself and a friend. It was used as a place to sleep and shower and it served those purposes without any issue.

Pros
+ Better than average hotel for a good price.
+ Ipod Dock, TV, power options and free WIFI.

Cons
- No aircon
- Basement feels forgotten about.
- Proximity to the main attractions
- Any noise from bar/main entrance is sent directly to the lower rooms.

Room Tip: For shared bathroom, ask for room 3, it's directly opposite them.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank UnwellMate
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Excellent value for money for Amsterdam. Friendly staff and a cool atmosphere in the bar downstairs. The bedrooms are uniquely and thoughtfully decorated. The location is excellent if you are into music and nightlife, and you have the top coffeeshops in town about 800 meters away.

Only disappointments were:
- painters looking through our curtains at 9.30 in the morning, which wasn't okay....
- another guest drunkenly trying to knock down/ collapsing into our door at 3AM. The soundproofing isn't great either.

Overall I would stay here again, just hopefully without the intrusions!

Room Tip: Stairs are steep, but rooms close to the bar may risk noise from open mic nights..
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple