“Great food, reasonably priced”
Review of Het Karbeel

Het Karbeel
Ranked #359 of 4,304 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$7 - US$31
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Description: From the morning you can enjoy a rich breakfast and a healthy lunch. The whole day we serve our speciality, the cheese fondues but also fish, meat and pasta dishes.
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We had both breakfast and lunch here and both were tasty, served quickly and were reasonably priced. I would recommend it.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I literally "popped" into this place. I had a busy day and only time to squeeze in quick bite before my next stop. I was walking by this place and it looked interesting, so I came in. The staff was casual and friendly and got me a table by the bar. It felt very homey. The place is in an old historic building, so it does feel a little dark and cramped, but this is old Amsterdam, so a historic building is fun.
Their specialty is fondue. Because I was in such a rush, I did not get the fondue, although I would love to come back and try it!
I had a pretty simple supper - I had a nice broccoli soup and a plain Dutch pancake. Both were very good. The soup was homemade and hot and hit the spot. The Dutch pancake is a little hard to screw up and was exactly what I was hoping and looking for. Both items were simple but just what I wanted.
I would like to come back and sit longer and enjoy the fondue. This was a good casual choice with no attitude and straight forward food.

Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

We had carpaccio and onion soup as starters and prawns for main. Not enough time for pud as going on a river cruise. Had a bottle of Marlborough Sauvignon blanc not very good and expensive. Lots of people had fondue which looked great.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We prebooked a table for the evening and were given a great window table. The cheese fondue was great but the wine selection needed to have been better as the Valpolicella was quite acidic for 25€ a bottle. The service was excellent and very friendly.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Been here a few times, on different trips to Amsterdam. Always get cheese fondue, portions are huge with different selections of cheese fondue (all are good). One pot is more than enough for two people, although you may want to try different kinds. Cozy atmosphere.