“Different styles of accommodation. Totally worthy.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Vita Nova

Vita Nova
Ranked #117 of 328 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Hong Kong, China
“Different styles of accommodation. Totally worthy.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I spent 2 nights in Vita Nova and it gives me a very different perspective of living when comparing with hostel or hotels. Firstly the location is excellent, a great sense of comfort when you walk out of the boat everyday to explore Amsterdam. Though a bit tough if you carry heavy luggage and walk from Amsterdam Centraal, with walking distance of around 10 minutes. When we first arrived, the host was very helpful that he proactively took our luggage downstairs to our room. We were given a map and was told all the important attractions. Breakfast was excellent with great variety that we treated that as our brunch. For rooms, since this is a ship, they are rather small when compared with those in buildings. However, it is clean and I have good sleeps at all time. Will definitely choose Vita Nova again if going to Amsterdam next time.

Room Tip: It may be better to choose rooms not next to the shared bathroom, as these rooms should be quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Issac63

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Slovak first
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

The boat is located near Nemo museum, which is close to Chine town and Red Light District. In general - it's clean, but you have to remember it's a boat, so everything is really tiny - the cabins and showers. If you don't mind it - you'll surely enjoy it. The breakfast is great - really wide choice, also the owners are helpful and friendly. Good choice for the budget travelers.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank iwona A
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

I spent my 1st night of my trip here. Great location very near the train station and the Nemo Museum. Friendly greeting by Brad, with lots of good information provided. My cabin was all I needed. The boat was clean and comfortable. The included breakfast was really good. I highly recommend the Vita Nova.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank SaltLakeCityStuart
World Traveler
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I lodged three nights at Vita Nova in Amsterdam and would recommend it highly. Monica and Brad run a welcoming hotel; both were very helpful. The Vita Nova breakfast is one of the best I have had; lots of food, drink and variety.

One heads up and one suggested improvement. Like many boats and ships, the bulkheads are thin and you can easily hear your neighbor on either side of your cabin. Not sure they can do much about that.

But the Vita Nova’s WiFi could be improved; it is just way too slow. Monica was kind enough when I checked in to point me to a nearby cafe that has faster WiFi, but I was disappointed that the boat’s WiFi was so slow. It is only available in the public spaces, something I knew before I booked my reservation, but if there is any way Vita Nova can improve its WiFi, then this would be a near perfect lodging experience in Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Paris, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

very nice staff, but the wifi worked not very well, the bathroom was way too small so I chose not to take a shower that night, the biggest problem is the noise, OMG the noise! I could hear people talking in other rooms. It was horrible when people went by my room each time. Even in the morning I could hear the noise of the knife, fork and plate, etc. Even though I slept not really near the dining hall. The noisy was too horrible that I couldn't get sleep for almost the whole night. But still it was an experience to living on a boat like that, I don't know if I would go back again but I had not regret having choose this motel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

It's very obviously a budget hostel but in a great location. Room was TINY but awesome. I imagine it would be pain to spend any amount of time in but just to put your head down it was great. Certainly not a party boat as the shared area closes around 11ish. The single toilet certainly adds a level of 'excitement' in the morning.
Breakfast was ok, no less than I expected. Reasonable selection of cold cuts, cereal and pancakes. The American guy on the 'desk' was very helpful and friendly.

I would definitely visit again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Esstelli
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

It was cool to sleep thinking I was on a boat hotel. The boat itself is next to a deck that reaches out to a canal. You get a great view from the top of the boat.

The room is really small, I was in there with another friend and we had to struggle for space. The room has a basin in there so it's easy for brushing teeth etc. The mattress was comfortable, but then again, not enough space. I was in the top bunk and had to constantly hit against the ceiling even for moving an inch.

The shower is terrible, I would've got it elsewhere if that was possible. The water temperature is hard to control and not enough pressure. The owner did say that they run from a water tank, which means a set time for people to take showers - i.e. not too late in the night. It was annoying to have a limit like that because it was basically a curfew for me to get back to the hotel. But I guess this sorta thing could be expected for this kind of hotel.

Overall I wouldn't mind experiencing something like this for a change after a while, but once or twice is enough. Four points for a special experience, but that's that.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends