“Excellent cost-benefit”
Review of Hotel Van Gogh

Hotel Van Gogh
Ranked #139 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Excellent location (with easy access to public transportation and near to the Museumplein and Leipseplein), excellent dorms (confortable beds and average size), excellent breakfast (good quality and variety, good value of the money), wifi in the dorms, staff not very friendly.

Room Tip: The rooms of the column 12 (apts. 312 and 412) are very quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

My friend and I had a horrible hostel experience in Paris so for this euro trip that we're on we decided to pay a little more for comfort. We didn't want to pay as much as Hotel/Hostel Van Gogh charged, but availability and location wise, it was our best option. The price was the only downside, Saturday was €42 and Sunday was €20 for a mixed 8-person en suite dorm. However, the hostel is impeccably clean, staff is nice, and breakfast is great. There's no lockers, but each room has a safe that you program yourself, perfect for passports, visas, cameras, etc. The shower was amazing, something about the shower head and just how nice the whole bathroom is, it's wonderful. The beds are really comfortable, my friend and I slept well both nights, and I was even on the top bunk. I had no issues of the bed creaking when I moved, or any other weird bunk bed issues I've had at other hostels. Also, the hostel gives you nice towels that can actually cover your body, and a maid will bring fresh ones in every day. Now breakfast; breakfast was €5 extra per day when we paid for booking on top of our reservation fee, but I would say it was worth it. Full coffee machine that can make you anything from macchiatos and cappuccinos to just a regular cup of joe. There were probably 4 or 5 kinds of bread, fresh and delicious fruit, multiple spreads, yogurt, cereal, multiple types of juice, and then the usual cheeses and meats to choose from. All in all, loved this hostel and would recommend it to anyone who has the funds.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alissa V
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for someplace affordable, clean, w charming little touches, modern bathroom, in great location, with very helpful staff, this is the place for you. One of the few caveats for some people : we stayed in room 206 I think, in front of building...there is a school across the shared courtyard & when the kids come out for recess, of course they can be loud for a few scattered hours here & there, like around 10 am and then again in afternoon I think ? But for me, I don't mind the sound of children playing at all, I think it's sweet & fun & they were absolutely darling ...drawing pictures on the stone courtyard with colored chalk, etc. Plus, you're not going to be hanging out in hotel room all day...it was no big deal for me. Anyway ...the staff was very pleasant and helpful, one nite we wanted to order takeout and Joshua at the front desk gave us a website address to check out, all the local places that will deliver...very nice!! We ordered from great Thai restaurant, I can't remember name tho. There is also a vending machine in lobby, snacks & drinks & another one for different electronic things, adapters etc I think. But for 10 euro security deposit, the hotel will lend u one...u get your $ back when u check out. They also will do laundry, 9.5 euro I think per load of clothes.... Another nice amenity...& Also a ton of info on guides & tours offered by local operators . The beds are soooo comfy I couldn't believe it. I mean divine. The shower had great pressure and temp, very nice...except that it can overflow out from under the bottom of glass shower door a bit, so need to put a towel on floor beforehand., no biggie. Also careful of the horizontal pipe when water is hot, it gets very hot to touch..you'll know what I mean when u see it. It would be very nice if they upgraded their towels, they were very harsh and scratchy. Didn't jive with lovely shower ... Also, if they provided a flat sheet on the bed instead of just fitted sheet then comforter, that would be better. But like I said, the bed was crazy comfy...I meant to check mfr before we left but forgot : ( let's see...location was poifect for us, you are a stones throw from Van Gogh museum & Rembrandt , stedeljik...(which u should visit, de Kooning & Picasso & Chagall & pollack, Etc...wow! Great modern museum w excellent restaurant. Also make sure to get an I Amsterdam pass, it was so worth it..many museum entries free, tram is free, free canal ride etc...go online & check out options) but the hotel is in pretty quiet area , no craziness at nite . There is a tour info operator right down street. The tram lines #5 & #2 will drop u off right down the street , boom. It was a
great experience and I would
definitely stay at hotel Van Gogh
again

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Karabeth526
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week in late March. Rooms are very modern with accurately described features. Breakfast was good for €5 all you can eat and lots of facilities. Downsides are that the communal area is more breakfast room, no real atmosphere and manager is a bit rude. If you're on a budget there is no real kitchen facilities, just a fridge, kettle and microwave but there is a big supermarket 2 minutes walk away.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ElliottJ29
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We came as a group of 24 university students and stayed for 3 nights and the Van Gogh hotel.
The pros and cons about the hostel/hotel:
Pros:
-Its extremely clean, housekeeping does a great job with cleaning the rooms and you always get a fresh towel (not a given at hostels)
-Tidy bathrooms
-Comfortable beds
-Decent breakfast
-Great location (easy to take the trams located on the street behind the hostel anywhere)
-Security boxes in each room (great for passports and wallet safekeeping)
-Awesome vending machines (both for food/sweets/drinks and another for tourist stuff, such as adapters, shampoo)

Cons:
-Some of the rooms were a bit too small for 6 people to fit in, no walking space, not space for luggage.
-No common toilet outside the rooms except in the lobby, one toilet per room for groups is insufficient.
-Not all reception staff were welcoming, didn't talk much or interact. There was one gentleman that was extremely helpful when it came to booking taxis for the group and general information, he was very pleasant as well as all the breakfast staff.
-No bar/ communal area for guests

All in all we were very happy with our stay. I myself work at a hostel so I'm kind of passive when it comes to critique however we really enjoyed our short stay, its a tidy hostel with a prime location. I would recommend it :).

Room Tip: Some group rooms are smaller then others, ask for the bigger ones if traveling with a large group. W...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank SunSasha
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We went in a big group of 31 people and had 4 rooms in total. On the second night, people tried to break into the rooms while we were asleep and managed to get into 2 of the rooms. In one of the rooms, my friends woke up and found the door open and realized that two wallets and a phone was stolen. We went to talk to the receptionists and they said they are not responsible for anything and left us alone. (They give out the room cards so easily even strangers can pretend to stay inside and request for a room card) We had to pay a visit to the local police station to lodge the police report and to the international embassy as one of the guys had their student visa in the wallet that was stolen. Our last day in Amsterdam was totally ruined. Will NEVER go back to this hostel. The security is just too bad!!! It was such a bad experience!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
9  Thank j_liw1
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed here because we had plans in the city that night. Because the price is relatively cheap (compared to other hotels in Amsterdam), so there were a lot of other young couples and groups of friends. Most of them not from the Netherlands, and therefore come to Amsterdam for one reason, weed. As result there were a lot of noises during the middle of the night, and an escalator smelling like weed as well.

All of this is fine, but you should know it before booking this hotel. The location is great, for whatever reason you will visit Amsterdam.

The breakfast was very nice as well, nothing fancy, but compared to most hotel breakfasts it was good. If you compare the price of the breakfast to other hotels it is even better!

Overall, a fine hotel.