“The Second Time”
Review of Amsterdam At Home

Amsterdam At Home
Ranked #31 of 341 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 May 2013

My wife and I were in Amsterdam April 21 - 24. Two years ago we stayed at Christel's (the owner) Amsterdam At Home B&B. We loved it and had such a great time, we thought, "Why try some other place when we know what's there.?" So we booked in three nights again at the B&B. We arrived by train from the town of Maastricht at noon. It took about ten minutes to walk from the train station to the Nieuwmarkt area at Korte Keizersstraat 12. We rang the doorbell, Christel answered. We were welcomed with a big hug and a greetings drink to celebrate our return arrival. We sat with her and husband, Hans, for about thirty minutes just talking about anything and everything. We felt right at home. She also told us that Hans would drive us to the airport the morning we needed to fly out. This was a new addition to what had already been fabulous service. For the next three days and nights, we were in and out, having just a fun time in this wonderful city. One night, in need of a good Italian restaurant to celebrate a birthday with some friends, I called Christel on her personnel phone. She answered, told her what I needed. She gave me the name of a nearby restaurant, Ristorante Gusto, a short walk away. It was excellent. The B&B was as before, very clean, and yet so quiet with its location not far from the busy Nieuwmarkt area. It's a residential area. Not many people walk by, especially at night. You are not awaken by groups of loud people walking by. The apartment we stayed in was two levels. Kitchen, dining and living room on the first level, bed room and bathroom on the second level. The kitchen was stalked with cold sodas, beer and wine, stove, pots, pans, utensils and plates. The morning we had to catch an early flight, Hans was there exactly at the time he said he would be there. We made it to the airport in plenty of time. He even helped carry our bags into the terminal. So, after two years of being away, our return for stay number two at Amsterdam At Home B&B was just as good, if not better this time. We highly recommend it and the great hospitality of Christel and Hans.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 May 2013

A beautiful two floor apartment equipped with a bar, full kitchen and 1 1/2 bath! The romantic decor includes wooden furniture, chandeliers and plants. As an added plus it is in a great location and Christel is awesome! Loved this place!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I am returning to Amsterdam at Home in a few weeks for my second stay! My first stay was last spring with a friend and it dawned on me I forgot to put down in writing how wonderful my stay was. When I arrived Gavin was waiting for me to give me the key. I stayed in the Sweet Dreams Apartment which is the upstairs part of the B&B. I was not expecting a two floor apartment and both my friend and I were very impressed. It was bright an open and very spacious. We appreciated the bar and ample kitchen space. Amsterdam at Home is on a small canal street and is very quiet but it is a quick two minute walk to the market square. They have a great farmer's market on Saturdays that is definitely worth checking out. There are many coffee shops and pubs very close by and we found everything else was close enough that we could easily walk (museums,parks, historical sites). Christel popped in once during our week stay and she was very friendly and gave us some great tips on what to see. Amsterdam is such a fabulous city with something for everyone and I could not imagine visiting this wonderful place and not staying at Amsterdam at Home. It will definitely be my home when I visit Amsterdam.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We stayed last July (just very slow in writing reviews!) for a 50th birthday and had a wonderful time. Christel was friendly and helpful from the moment we arrived - lots of advice on where to visit and eat. Christel had bought some groceries for our arrival, and organised bikes for us from the B&B; we felt so welcome and looked after. The location is great, and the basement room, with it's own bathroom and kitchenette was very comfortable. The TV could have been bigger (but only because we wanted to watch the Olympics - any other time we'd be out and about and wouldn't need a TV!). Definitely recommended if you want somewhere with character in a true Amsterdam house.

Room Tip: Basement if you want independence and self-catering, or upstairs for a welcoming shared living room...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2012

wow!!My boyfriend and I stay in Amsterdam for 2 days...so nice and the owner of the B&B was soooo nice and friendly..it seemed to be at a friend's house...she offered us a drink as we arrived and gave us some tips on where to go and what to see!! The independent apartment was so comfy and the heating that came from the floor was very pleasant to feel!! Good cleaning and very near to the center!!
ciao from Rome

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank giorgia1986
Reviewed 4 December 2012

We really enjoyed our stay here at this B&B (recommended by friends)and we were made to feel most welcome by the owners.The rooms are lovely and comfy and we would most certainly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank blu r
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We had so much fun staying at "Amsterdam At Home". We stayed there for a short holiday and the marathon. The location was great, the place was great too. Christel had good recommendations and was very helpful and friendly. I highly recommend this b&b over staying in a hotel... We are not usual b&b customers and were blown away with the accomadation.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple