“Singel 404 - Delicious!”
Review of Eetcafe Singel 404

Eetcafe Singel 404
Ranked #69 of 3,853 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$8 - US$17
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Centrum
London, United Kingdom
“Singel 404 - Delicious!”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Wow. What a great find! When staying in central Amsterdam, I've found that a good breakfast/brunch spot can mean a bit of a trek outside central - Not wanting to travel far, I was determined to find a good spot less than a mile from our airbnb.

After two disappointing mornings this past weekend of finding Gartine booked up, my partner and I wandered a little ways down the canals looking for someplace that would be serving a late brunch with a bit of a view.

Singel 404 looked unimposing, with a small seating area inside and some riverside tables across the road - the amount of local traffic coming through made us think it might be a good spot to check out for a noon brunch. And I'm so glad we did.

Drinks: Hands down the best fresh squeezed orange juice I've ever had. My only regret is not getting the large - definitely give it a try!

Coffee: After a couple disappointing coffee runs in other Amsterdam cafes, I was quite pleased with my black coffee

Food: Though a number of the sandwiches looked appealing, I decided to go for the Singel special - Eggplant, zucchini, fresh mozzarella, cucumbers, homemade pesto, tomatoes - etc. Immediately after ordering, I had major buyers remorse - why was I buying a sandwich for breakfast?! But wow, I'm so glad I did. The sandwich came out openfaced and loaded with veggies - and so incredibly delicious - perfectly done, there was an explosion of taste in every bite. My partner, on the other hand, had the fried eggs with tomatoes and bread - He too was totally smitten with his choice and for the first time ever we were both perfectly content to each go about having our own meals totally delighted with our picks.

Will definitely be looking to come back here next time we are in Amsterdam, a perfectly located brunch/lunch spot.

• Visited September 2013
Adrie Y, Co-Owner at Eetcafe Singel 404, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
we hope to see you again in the (near) future,

• Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Zurich, Switzerland
“Now that's a cafe”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Me and my friends were there during our graduation trip. We had been shopping for a long time and were tired and searching for a cafe in amsterdam which would serve some food. So when we asked a local persond he recommended this cafe. The cafe is organized on two floors and the food is absoluteley amazing. Not only is the choice big, but furthermore they accept personal wishes. When we were there we had a "Apfelkrümmeltaart with Slagroom" meaning an applecrumble with whipped cream. This was so amazing that one day later we ran all the way from the Van Gough museum to the Single 404 and then back to the heineken experience in order to be able to eat at this cafe eventough the teachers only gave us 1 1/2 hours lunch. Shorly said: this was our absolute favourite eetcafe in Amsterdam!

• Visited October 2013
Thanks for taking the time to visit us twice and for writing about us,
hope to see you again,
Danville
“Great Place for lunch”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We had just finished private tour at noon and asked our guide for some local places to get a sandwich for lunch. She suggested 404 but noted that she had never eaten there herself. She had only heard comments from others.

Boy, does this place have great food! We got there about 12:15 on a Tuesday and the downstairs only had one table available next to the curtain that served as a door. We went to the back and asked if we could go upstairs and a girl nodded and pointed upstairs. So I guessed that they were now aware that there were 2 clueless Americans on the premises. We went upstairs and got a table overlooking the lower floor. There was a English menu already on the table. By the time a girl came up to take our order we were ready. I ordered #25 a BLT (bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayo & avocado) and my wife ordered #27 (grilled chicken breast with avocado and yogurt-basil sauce). This was a great table because we could watch all the movement in the front part of the restaurant below us. The food was very tasty! We are in our 60s and don't eat a lot. My sandwich was large enough to split between the two of us. Since my wife was already in heaven over the yogurt-basil sauce that was on her chicken, I had to eat all of that sandwich myself because I certainly wasn't going to leave anything that good on my plate.

As we finished we noticed that there were now more people than there were tables inside. There were some people that had been seated outside and it had started to lightly rain and it drove them inside. The day we ate here was the end of 3 weeks of being in Europe and this restaurant had the same philosophy as most of the others - once you have your table, it is yours for as long as you want to sit there. Your server will not come and give you your bill unless you ask for it. Because we saw there were people waiting and we had finished eating, we left our table and went looking for our waitress. They seemed to recognize us and gave us our bill immediately. I would recommend this place to anybody.

Visited September 2013
Adrie Y, Co-owner at Eetcafe Singel 404, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you so much for your nice review,
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Brunch time”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

.. my partner and I were able to get a seat in the upstairs area which was not as nice as the downstairs seating area - but seeing the number of people waiting in the queue to get into this cafe - thought ouselves lucky to be seated at all. I enquired re the chicken - whether it was cured and pressed or fresh slices - was told by waitress that it was not freshly slaughtered!! Decided not to pursue the chicken thingo further so my partner and I opted for club sandwich with bacon - mayo - avocado and rocket - all lovely apart from my top slice of bread which felt as tho been on the hotplate - that aside it was ample and tasty.
Coffee - asked if there was fresh pouring cream to serve with Americano/Espresso - told yes - I stated that I didnt like Espresso with anything other than cream and was assured that it would be served with cream. It was served with milk! I pointed this out to the waitress and told her that I could nto drink it with milk - was told in no uncertain terms that it was cream - I said this is milk and this is what you have served my partner with his tea! Never known anyone drink tea with cream!
To our dismay we were charged for the coffee - pointed this out to the waitress and once again told in no uncertain terms that it was what I had ordered - even tho the cup remained untouched.
Bit odf good old fashioned customer service would not have gone astray here - disappointing!

• Visited September 2013
Adrie Y, Co Owner at Eetcafe Singel 404, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
First of all, thank you for giving us feed back. We're sorry about the misunderstanding with the coffee cream. We give small cups of coffee milk with our coffee and in Holland we call it coffeecream, that is probably why the waitress did not understand you. We try to help our foreign customers as good as possible but sometimes it's hard to explain things in another language.
Best regards,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Fav. sandwich place in Amsterdam”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Yes it is a small place.
Yes you may have to wait almost 30 min to find a table
BUT it is VERY worth the wait.
If you want to experience a bit of how the Dutch live I think this is a great place to try it out: the smallness of the space, the sandwiches and their natural juices.

Visited September 2013