“Unique hotel in a great location for exploring Amsterdam”
Review of citizenM Amsterdam

citizenM Amsterdam
Ranked #40 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Braidwood, Illinois
“Unique hotel in a great location for exploring Amsterdam”
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I stayed at the citizenM Amsterdam City with my boyfriend for 2 nights while we were on vacation in Amsterdam. It is unlike any hotel I'd ever been to - very modern and very unique, and we enjoyed our experience. Upon walking into the lobby you can tell this is anything but the typical American hotel, but it is a clean, bright, modern atmosphere. Some of the features that the website makes a big deal of, like the mood lighting and such, were definitely cool, but not necessarily the thing that would bring us back to this hotel. What we did really like was that the staff were very friendly and very helpful, the place as a whole and our individual room were very clean, the bed was very large and very comfortable (especially considering that a "double" bed in most European hotels is two twin beds pushed next to each other), and we thought it was in a very good location as far as sightseeing - removed from the city center just enough so that it was quiet, but just a step off of the 5 rail line which made it a short and incredibly easy way to access all the action of the city. We would recommend this hotel for business travelers (because of its proximity to the business district) and those vacationing in the city (because of the easy access to public transportation), and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Had a great stay at Citizen M. Small but trendy rooms.
Great relaxing after doing a shopping marathon, lying in the huge bed, controlling the lights, tv and the blinds with the moodpad.
Located outside the city centre, but only 1 minute from tram 5.
Had some problems with my room key, and i thought the breakfast wasn't the greatest, but then again.... Amsterdam has 45652 places to have breakfast!

Room Tip: Start the day with a good take away coffee but have breakfast in Amsterdam centre!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Citizen M is a very clever concept of hotels that are aimed at a design-conscious, but also budget-savvy, international travellers.

The rooms are very small and to be honest, probably best suited to solo travellers. I was staying with my partner and we found it to be a little cozy for our tastes, particularly because the bathroom is in the main living area. But we were only there for one night so it was fine - any longer may have tested our relationship a little!

Free wi-fi is welcomed, the hotel says "because charging for internet makes about as much sense as a giraffe on a bicycle". This is an indication of their cheeky attitude.

Really clever self-serve kiosks make check-in/out a breeze. The staff are great and obviously love their jobs, and the food at the cafeteria is well-priced and tasty. Location is really convenient for access to Schipol airport and a 10 minute tram ride from the centre of Amsterdam.

Overall, I highly recommend, especially for this price, and would happily stay again.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed 28 October 2011

The Citizen M City, not to be confused with the airport one, is a great place to stay at. Hip and cool rooms and surroundings topped off with great service and convenient amenities. The rooms are like in a space station, with capsules for a shower and WC. The check in and out are self-service, if you don’t have any funny letters in your name it is very convenient and easy to use. The location is a bit out of the city center but just around the corner, is the number 5 tram that takes you directly to the museum district, bar district and down town. Access to the airport is also very convenient as its only one stop away from Schipol Airport on the metro. If in Amsterdam you must try out this hotel, it’s a bit of adifferent hotel experience then usual but very nice.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Hasselt, Belgium
Reviewed 28 October 2011

The location of the hotel is good, it's not located in the direct city center of Amsterdam. This is no problem at all because tram 5 stops just in front of the hotel. There is no noise and you can have a good night rest. The check in goes very smoothly, 6pc's available and there is always somebody to help you. Friendly staff, very open comunication with the guests. The room is very basic but nice looking with a huge bed (I wish we could have taken it home ;)). Domotic in the room was working good, lovely wake up call on the tv with a nice "birdy sound". Also very nice that the bar is open 24hours. Breakfast was good! We had a lovely stay and would definitely return to a Citizen hotel, we loved the concept!

Room Tip: Take a garden view room
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Stayed here a couple of weeks ago for a course at the Academisch Medisch Centrum, and chose this hotel as it's pretty-much bang on the metro, tram and train lines and seemed pretty funky - and good value for work expenses.
As other reviewers have mentioned, the rooms are small but cleverly laid out with the shower and toilet in the room but separate-able. The whole feel of the place is 'chillaxed cool zone', with check-in manned by friendly beautiful people straight out of the 'Gap' mould. I might be a tough case and my sense of direction is not the best, but the three times I asked for directions to various places I didn't get very clear answers and ended up going the wrong way on each occasion (it was a different location each time, I'm not an imbecile!).
I ate in one night and the food was good – a very tasty Thai green curry with some fab mini poppadoms and pickled vegetables – but was surprised they only had one hot meal on the menu; this was at 8.30pm, apparently the choice changes every day. As it’s in quite an out-of-the-way area, I’d have thought the inhouse menu would be better but I guess most people eat out. Also found it strange that there seemed to be no drinking water available in the rooms, but you could buy most things (food, drink, toiletries) downstairs in the lobby. Finally, the room control remote or ‘Moodpad’; again, I’m not a luddite but equally no technogeek so it may have been user error – but the bally thing drove me mad after half an hour. It had a slow erratic response rate, and operating the window blind took the patience of a saint. Definitely a case of style over substance, and my tip would be: use the blind control on the wall, it’s far quicker.
It was all fine, but I was left with a vaguely uneasy feeling that I didn’t quite ‘get it’ – I wonder how quickly the novelty rooms would wear off if you were there for more than a couple of days, as for two people there’s not a huge amount of elbow room unless you spend all your time on the bed. On reflection, I came away with the impression that this was what the hotel was mainly all about.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Viewhalloo
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2011

My Husband organised this short break as a surprise for our Wedding Anniversary and it was fantastic!

I've got to say I was a bit aprehensive after realising how small the room would be and I wasn't sure about having the ameneties stuck in the middle of the room but it was AWESOME!

Yes, the rooms are small but the space is used in a very efficient and effective way which made the place all the more special. Once we were out and about in Amsterdam I looked forward to getting back to our quirky room to enjoy the things it had to offer!

It had an enormous bed which was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in! The shower was great and there was plenty of clean fresh towels for us to use. There is a chiffon style curtain that can be drawn between the bed and the rest of the room if you'd like a bit more privacy. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the Mood Pad... it's a gadget that controls loads of things in the room from the lighting to the television to the blinds.

Even though we only stayed for two nights the room was serviced and the bedding/towels changed after one night. There was loads of helpful staff available to sort any problems/queries if required and the whole buzz of this hotel was just lovely.

The Hotel location was fab, one train stop from the airport near the World Trade Centre, it was very quiet which made for an excellent nights sleep. We used the trams to go back and forth all weekend which proved to be very easy as they are so frequent, again with helpful staff. The hotel was approx. 15 mins from The Central Station in Amsterdam, the journey to get there was great as we spotted loads of places and things we wanted to see and do on the way in.

Overall it was an extreemly enjoyable weekend to remember and CitizenM had a lot to do with that!! When we managed to grab another weekend in Amsterdam we will definately be staying here.