“Quirky hotel & good location”
Review of citizenM Amsterdam

citizenM Amsterdam
Ranked #48 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 12 May 2014

There are two citizen M's in Amsterdam, we stayed at the one on prinses Irenestraat (not at the airport). The hotel is a quick 10 minute train ride from schiphol airport, which costs about 3.50 Euros each - get off at zuid station, and from there its only a short walk to citizen m.

We paid for early check-in (20 Euros) when we arrived, although its down to availability as to whether this is an option. Check - in is self serve, and you create your own key card to access your room.

The rooms are perfect for a short stay in Amsterdam, and you'll find a few nice quirks: a touchscreen pad controls mood lighting, blackout blind, TV, films on demand and temperature. Rooms are compact, and as others have mentioned the toilet/shower is 'in' the room, with little in the way of privacy - which is fine if you are in good company.

Staff were friendly but seemed a bit too relaxed when it came to dealing with the technical problems we had with our room: key cards not working, touchpad not working, room safe locked us out, day pass purchaed from reception for tram didn't work...after we chased the issues up a couple of times they were resolved though, and we were given a couple of free cocktails.

The hotel is in a quiet area (away from the stag and hen parties) but hop on the #5 tram, directly outside the hotel and you can get to most of the main attractions within minutes.

We were offered access to the hotels bikes - free - but as the weather wasn't very good, we didn't take them up on this.

Overall, its a good base to explore Amsterdam and convenient for tram/airport access. Don't get a taxi to the hotel/airport though - cost us 42 euros, get the train.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank donnaherron
Write a ReviewReviews (5,093)

Reviewed 12 May 2014

nice hotel, good for 3 day trip max., bring your hangers.
the bedroom is small as the size of a container, but the bed is large and really comfortable.
staff is very friendly, and the lobby is made in a way you can really chill out.
a bit far from the city centre, but in 15 minutes with the tram (stop located 200m from the hotel) you can be in Leidesplein area.
Great location if you have to go to the Amsterdam RAI or WTC and you have the Beatrixpark in front of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I can only apologise for not writing my review earlier – I stayed in CitizenM with my husband for two nights in August 2013. This was our first time to Amsterdam and when looking for a hotel CitizenM stood out from the rest. It may be a little bit out from the popular attractions but with the Prinses Irenestraat tram stop practically on the door step it is a great base for exploring Amsterdam and it is positioned in a quiet area.

Everything about the hotel is unique and quirky from the minute you enter through the red entrance doors into reception. They say the check-in is self service but there are members of staff standing there to guide you. We were talked through our check-in by a staff member and we were sorted very quickly. He was so helpful and even showed us on a map how to get to Hard Rock Cafe. The room we had was terrific (room 201). It's the first time we have had the toilet and shower in the main bedroom but with the frosted glass on the pull around doors you still had your privacy. The bed was the complete width of the room and you had no choice but to crawl onto it. The mood lighting was so much fun I nearly wore the remote batteries out – kept changing from green-to blue-to pink-to red...well you get the picture. The dining area is beside reception where you can buy drinks, chocolate, sandwiches, fruit etc, 24 hours a day. The hang-out areas of the hotel are really well designed with plenty of room for you to still have a quiet drink in one of the corners.

If I had to push for a negative it would be the fact that you have to use the trams all the time (you can buy a day pass from the driver on the tram). We would use the trams in the morning to travel into the centre of Amsterdam and sight-see. Then we would head back to the hotel to change for dinner and then back into the centre again via the trams for something to eat and drink. They are a very busy mode of transport that everyone seems to use. I would have loved the hotel to be more central so that I could have walked around the centre at night and then walk back to the hotel. In saying that the hotel is in such a quiet neighbourhood and so close to the Amsterdam Zuid station you wouldn't really want it to be situated anywhere else.

Simply for the friendly staff and unique, quirky furnishings I will definitely stay in the CitizenM the next time I visit Amsterdam.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I spent 3 nights at the Citizenm, and enjoyed my stay very much. The rooms are small, but big enough. I stayed with my mom so privacy wasn't a huge issue, but we did find the shower floor pretty slippery. The staff is young, friendly,fun, and very customer service oriented. The price was attractive and location on the #5 tram was very convenient.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Small room with two glass tubes in middle of the room for toilet and shower. Breakfast was rather poor. Good location, very good and different service, smiling faces and staff was doing all different tasks, self check in and out. Will stay there again!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank IngiBaiba
Reviewed 9 May 2014

This was a handy stopover for an early morning flight. No negotiating traffic, just a short stroll to the terminal. The staff were very welcoming and helpful. The room interesting and comfortable. I couldn't believe the size of the bed and am glad I didn't have to change the linen! I slept so well and luckily remembered to set the alarm as I slept so well. I don't think I would go for the breakfast again as it was a bit pricey. You can get cheaper in the terminal. Also, there was a 2 euro credit card charge for the breakfast if you booked it the day before, which made it the same price as if you booked it on the day. I was offered the opportunity to have it refunded as I was clearly not told of this policy at the time, when I asked why the price was different. I would definitely stay here again for the convenience.

Room Tip: I didn't hear a single aero plane from inside.