“Unique experience in a quiet environment”
Review of citizenM Amsterdam

citizenM Amsterdam
Ranked #48 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Interesting, innovating and unique concept, super friendly staff, quiet and very nice location. The biggest and most comfortable bed we’ve ever had in a hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,972)

Reviewed 11 August 2009

top modern style, nice (high tech) gimmicks, very relaxed lobby, nice staff...i definitely can recommend citizenm amsterdam!
ok, the rooms are a bit small and the location of the hotel is not perfect, but still this is a great hotel!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2009

My partner and I recently stayed at the citizenM hotel in Amsterdam City for three nights. The location of the hotel is on a quiet street away from the city centre but is easily accessible via the number 5 tram, and shops and restaurants are a 5-10 minute walk away up Beethovenstraat.

The hotel lobby includes a 24 hour canteen (although the food is quite expensive) and there are lots of seating areas in the lobby designed by Vitra, which includes some design classics. The hotel room was small but the bed was very comfortable and we enjoyed using the mood pad to control the lights, blinds, television etc. The toilet and shower are in pods and so do not offer much privacy! The hotel staff were friendly and helpful during our stay.

Overall we enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it to those who don't mind, or prefer to be away from the central areas. There is also a very good restaurant, Restaurant As, which is a 5 minute walk from the hotel towards Beatrix Park.

Reviewed 8 August 2009

I'm into experimental architecture and citizenM sounded really interesting, mainly from reviews I read here. I decided to try it, if only because I knew I'd regret not doing so. I stayed for four nights.

The lobby is beautiful and the simple 24 hour cafe is a huge plus for a business traveler. The lobby staff varied enormously in quality. One provided incorrect recommendations, e.g., wrong names, addresses, opening times for restaurants, etc. If this were a "serious" business hotel, I would have contacted management, but it feels more like an upscale youth hostel run by college-aged students. Some of the staff were very helpful, so it's fairly random. These are most certainly not, however, graduates of Cornell's Hotel Management Program.

The room was the real problem. The neat looking tube shower leaked all over the floor. I regularly had 1/4" of water on the floor when I was done with fairly quick showers. (I even turned off the water when I was soaping up.) I immediately let management know; they promised to fix it but never did. Try getting dressed on a floor filled with water. Not fun.

The remote control that runs the room barely worked. It constantly displayed "Connecting to room..." and could take up to 20 seconds to do so. When I asked them to fix this, they were immediately familiar with the problem and even finished my sentence for me describing the problem. But again, they never fixed it and I had trouble doing basic things like turning off the lights to go to sleep. And the remote's very bright blue LEDs flashed all night long as it was apparently constantly reconnecting to the room. That was beyond annoying.

Also, the physical light switch to turn off the lights simply dimmed them. You must use the remove to get actual darkness. Very poorly designed.

And while they claim the room's are "sound proof," that is with respect to the outside. You will literally here every person and conversation passing outside your room, all night long. I've never stayed in a hotel with such poor internal acoustic isolation.

Finally, the air conditioning, which works fine during the day, apparently turns off at night. My room was incredibly uncomfortable with zero airflow whatsoever. And of course the windows don't open.

In short, it's a cool design but even given how new this hotel is, the infrastructure seems to be falling apart already. (This phenomenon is quite common in experimental buildings.) I will say the bed was extremely comfortable. (I don't understand some of the complains here about that.) And the free wifi was slow but very welcome.

I would certainly not recommend this hotel and would never stay here again. I suspect some future generation of these boutique mini-room hotels will be ready for prime time but citizenM is absolutely not. No doubt, the management will post some deep felt apology here, as they do with all negative reviews. I suggest they spend the effort fixing the flaws in the rooms, rather than arguing why their hotel is so wonderful. The fact of the matter is it is lacking in the most basic of ways. There are less expensive, far more comfortable alternatives available in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank HerrDrProfessor
hotelexpertAmsterdam, Director of Distribution at citizenM Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2009

Dear “HerrDrProfessor”,

Thanks for taking the time to share your citizenM experience on Tripadvisor.
As you have noticed on previous reviews, we take feedback very serious and do not post standard we-are-sorry-to hear-that-replies but take time to read every review and respond to those that did not have a perfect stay..
We are aware of some of the issues you wrote about (moodpad and shower) and this morning, I discussed your review in the weekly management team meeting here at citizenM hotels headquarters.

The issues you described are not the result of a concept falling apart already, but start up problems to which we have found solutions that are presently being implemented.
I regret to read that you did experience still connectivity issues with our moodpad and problems with the shower each day.
The wall switches both dim, and switch on and off, based on tapping once for on/off and keeping down to the desired light intensity.

Our staff, we call them ambassadors, are carefully recruited on their character, friendliness, diversity, international mindset, flexibility and a devotion to smile. We consider this to be the importance of the “university of life”.
You are absolutely right, that the information given by our ambassadors about the city has to be correct at all times.

I do hope that we may welcome you back in the future in one of our hotels, and you can have that wonderful experience many others already had.

Lennert de Jong
Director of Distribution
citizenM hotels

Reviewed 4 August 2009

I loved this hotel, easy to find and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The bed was very comfortable and the room was spotless. shower was fantastic and enjoyed the mood lighting. What a good nights sleep, I will be looking at staying there again.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2009

I brought my husband to Amsterdam for his birthday and decided that it would be interesting to stay at a hotel with such a modern concept. The hotel itself is amazing. The bed was the most comfortable I think I have slept in and the room was lovely. On the first night, I was in the unfortunate position of having my handbag stolen from the city centre, but the staff were fantastic, allowing me to use the phone to try to organise an advance from my credit card and also to contact anyone necessary. They organised a cab to take me to Western Union and even found out for me where the nearest one was. All of the staff are extremely friendly and courteous from the minute you arrive to the minute you leave. I would recommend everyone to stay there and would love to see more rolled out throughout Europe. In one word, I would describe the hotel as "superb"

P.S Many thanks to all the staff who assisted us and kept us smiling.

Reviewed 3 August 2009

+ great design
+ alternative and original concept
+ lovely shower and comfortable bed
+ friendly service
+ great for people who want to discover the city (not only the center) by bike

- toilet could be more private
- food & beverages are rather expensive
- rooms are suited for couples, not for friends who want to share a bed to economize as their is a lack of privacy (lavatory)