“wonderful design hotel”
Review of citizenM Amsterdam

citizenM Amsterdam
Ranked #48 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 23 August 2009

I spent 5 nights in this hotel in vacation with my boyfriend. The hotel is a bit far from the center of the city, but there's a Tram just in front of the hotel that takes you to the center in 15 minutes. We liked the location because it was very quiet and calm place. The first day didn't start very well, the rooms were great and we loved the design, big bed, everything, but at night we started to get very cold and discovered that the air conditioning couldn't be turned off. The first time we complain to the staff, they said the air would turn off at night, so we waited, but it didn't happen, next time we complain to other member of the staff that went to the room, but did nothing to help too. Finally the third person we talked to - Miguel - the salvation of the night, finally discover the air conditioning was broke, and let us go to another room that was much better. Then the rest of the nights went very good. Although we would prefer on/off system for the air.
We loved the iMacs with free internet and all the designer chairs and design books! The breakfast was simple but very good (see my photos) and you could eat it at any hour. Overall we liked the original and modern concept of this hotel, and the staff was nice in general, a special thanks to Miguel, that was so kind and helpful and really patient with our requests! Next time we must try your cocktails!

1  Thank Raquel M
Write a ReviewReviews (4,965)

Reviewed 21 August 2009

Having been a year ago to the Citizen M at Schiphol Airport I decided to try this new one in the center as well, this time together with my wife.
Have to say the concept is still truly amazing, and the beds are great for a fun night ... know what I mean, nudge nudge.
Location is perfect, we went shopping in Beethovenstraat on foot and took the tramway to Bijenkorf, all within a hundred meters from the hotel.
Great staff with lots of attention to detail.
Will come again !

1  Thank DeMannie
Reviewed 18 August 2009

This hotel is a triumph of concept over design and practicality.
There are many good things about the hotel - most importantly it was very clean. Also, the bed was comfortable, there is food and drink on sale in the lobby all day and night, the staff were friendly, check in and out is automated (self-service) and there is a good work area in the Lobby with free internet access.
However the rooms are small and lack some traditional basics such as wardrobe, drawers and desks. There is no space to unpack. If you are there on business you will need to work in the lobby - this is pleasant enough, but I would prefer to work in the privacy of my rooms. None of these issues are that difficult to cope with and you can find a way of adapting to manage around them.
The biggest issue is the lack of a bathroom. The bedroom contains a shower cubicle that is clear glass - there is a curtain to stop anyone in bed seeing you, but is is fairly transparent and so if you are sharing the room you better not mind being looked at by them! Also, the toilet is in a similar cubicle but with frosted glass - again not quite opaque enough as you can still see what is going on in there.
The hotel is very stylised ('Citizen M says Welcome home' as you use your key!) and will not appeal to everyone. I am suprised how many 4 and 5 star reviews have been written.
I am afraid that the lack of traditional facilities (drawers, wardrobe, desk) along with the lack of a distinct bathroom would stop me recommending this to anyone.
If you want to stay there, then please look at the photographs on the web - they are really quite acurate. You can decide if this is the hotel for you based on that.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank CraighallMK
hotelexpertAmsterdam, Director of Distribution at citizenM Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2009

Dear CraighallMK,

Thanks for taking the time to review citizenM.
I believe your review is very accurate and true. citizenM is not the standard hotel room that many people are used to.

citizenM developed a hotel that is luxury but affordable. We accomplished this by saving space, automating certain processes (check in, reservations, restaurant, etc..) and cost of reservations.
At the same time, as you wrote as well, design, usability and luxury are pillars of our brand.

I cannot agree with you more that every mobile citizen should check our pictures and videos on Tripadvisor before booking. It's quite something different!

Hope to see you next time you're in Amsterdam

All the best,

citizen Lennert

PS: we do have a big drawer, under the bed, which easily fits two samsonites, so I'm afraid you missed that? :)

Reviewed 17 August 2009

Trip excellent, however no restaurants near. Went out later one night and nothing oopen in the vicinity. Informed everything shut at ten, which most places normally only open at 9 in Europe. As Hotel quiet a way out of centre, ended up not having anything for dinner and woke up starving the next day.
Room excellent and really good concept, however flooded one morning whilst using the shower. Informed the receptionist after spending 30 mins trying to soak up the water and she apologised and said room would be ready for our return. Got back and room in same state and wet towels still in shower cubicle and no new ones to replace them. After a call waited for a new set, before we could get ready to go out.

Rooms really fun and a change from the normal. Even though loved hotel, would stay near to the centre next time.

Reviewed 17 August 2009

I thoroughly loved this hotel. Everything about it. And for those who stay at hotels a great deal, you have NEVER stayed at a hotel like this one. Very cool, hip, clean and comfortable.

And I found the staff very helpful. And the fact that they have food right there 24/7 is nice when you get back late at night are hungry. Tram stops right out front, taking you to anywhere.

I loved it and would certainly stay again, and will encourage all my friends to.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank glenncolrodosprings
Reviewed 17 August 2009

CitizenM is totally the kind of hotel i want. I've been there the first time beginning of 2009. And after that I didn't boook any other hotel in Amsterdam. The self-service concept is what I want. THe rooms are super. Although I would like to have a table to make better use of the WiFi on my laptop it isn't a big issue as there are plenty of tables downstairs.
Best value for money I've had since years!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank JWJWJWJW
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Is not really on the center, but the transportations is very good you don't have any problem with that.
The room are very nice, modern and functional and the staff is also very nice. I truly recommend this hotel, please stay there.
RMachado