“Wow - wish Citizen M Hotels were in every city” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of citizenM Amsterdam

citizenM Amsterdam
Ranked #36 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
London
“Wow - wish Citizen M Hotels were in every city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2009

This is a great concept for an inexpensive city stay which is excecuted excellently. My room was very comfortable with every facility that I need, free wifi, good shower and freebies, nice TV, an in room safe, quiet and spacious enough. The lobby area is excellent with a good cafe with a Japanese-ish menu, good coffee and loads of space to sit , work, chat and meet. The staff were very helpful, especially as I had booked by mistake for one night rather than two - they just charmingly sorted it out for me with no fuss. Another staff member took great trouble to help me to find my way to another part of the city where I was meeting colleauges, found out the train and tram and asked when I returned if everything had gone fine.

The hotel is in a nice area with plenty of local amenities, very close to the Amsterdam Zuid staton and just minutes from Schipol. It is a bit of a trek to the city center but well worthwhile for the quality of the hotel. I hope that the Citizen M concept spreads throughout Europe as I would book again if I were to find one in any location I go to on business.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Drogheda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2009

When booking our holiday to Amsterdam, I chose to book CitizenM as it looked fun, exciting and different (and was affordable and you didnt have to share a bathroom which seemed difficult enough to come across in this city). We arrived at Central Station as we missed our stop in Zuid, and hopped straight into a taxi to bring us to the hotel. At first, I have to admit, it was a bit daunting as the journey took well over 1/2 an hour by car (I was panicking as I felt I had booked a hotel in the middle of nowhere!) When we arrived, it was only 9am, but I was so tired I wanted to see this HUGE bed ASAP. We paid a €19.95 early check in fee, checked in, and went up to the room.
It was just like the pictures, so no surprises. I have been reading other reviews where guests said there was no luggage space, no tables and no chair. Well, there is luggage space under the bed, and quite a lot of it. There are 2 bedside tables with lamps. There is a chair (nice and comfy too). The bed is more comfortable than you could ever imagine, and is MASSIVE! (You can roll over 5 times!) And it has one of those duvets that just hug around you! The shower is loads of fun as you can use the handheld shower,or the rain shower, which is lovely (and surprisingly easy to not get your hair wet in). The two shower gels that the hotel supply are really nice (I was a fan of the PM gel). 1 bad thing though- when housekeeping came in and changed the towels, they always rolled one up and left it in the shower cubicle. This was never noticed until it was far too late and the towel was soaking. No problem really, just felt a bit bad to be leaving such wet towels for housekeeping every day!
The selection of movies was great, and the moonpad was so much fun to use. We ended up keeping the coloured lights on random, and we could sleep all day if we wanted to by shutting the blackout blinds! (suprisingly the room only has 1 european socket! and we had 2 phones to charge, and a camera!)
The hotel was not as far from the city as the taxi driver made it out to be. We used the Mac computers in the lobby to print out a map so we knew how to get to the city centre. It took about an hour (we got a bit lost), but when we arrived we rented bikes straight away. Cycling is the only way to travel in Amsterdam! It only then took us 10-15 mins to travel from the hotel to the city, and vice versa, We also chained our bikes to a pole beside the hotel, so we knew they were safe.
One night we ordered cocktails at the bar- Mmmmm! I ordered the mobile martini (i think) - and it was purple! and the barman put a purple flower in it to float on top (and then told me it was edible- WOW!) We then bought a bottle of wine and were given wine glasses to bring up to the room.
The hotel also allowed us to order a pizza,and even rang the room when it arrived.
The door signs are funky (dont come in- there's someone naked in here!), the halls are brilliant, there is so many places to hang out.
I loved it! Hmm, anything else? Oh the croissants are yummy and can be heated up.
The wake up call adapted to the time change (daylight savings!), the hair dryer is good, the staff are super friendly, ehh.. yep! thats it!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2009

Citizen M was an excellent hotel and great value. The tram 5 stopped right outside and was a short ride into town. we walked into the centre too, which was about a 40 minute walk but with lots of shops and restaurants along the way and lots to see.
The hotel for us was everything you could want from a city stay. As a designer, the look and feel of a place is very important to me, it looked great with every detail having been carefully considered. There was none of the usual rip off extras, even the phone rates are set similar to that of Skype rates, and with free internet access in rooms you can skype yourself if you have a skype enabled phone.
Its also very handy to get to from Schipol, a 9 minute train ride to WTC Zuid and its just round the corner.
All round a great experience. I would definatly stay here again and would recommend it to friends and family who are happy to travel a teeny it to gain a whole lot.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank onami_k
Sittard
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2009

Stayed with my wife and 5-year old and really enjoyed the stay. The room and its "toys" are real fun. The living room lobbies and food\drink area were very comfortable and also offers spaces to work properly. Staff was friendly and helpful.

We think that some people might not like the following: its location, however the tram is nearby (8km to central station); Food and drinks are somewhat expensive; no too much lugage space; no desk in the room (however the lobby offers sufficient).

But again, we really enjoyed it.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
Topeka
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2009

I stayed at the CItizen M at the beginning of my business trip for one night to get through jet lag and to get oriented to Amsterdam. I liked staying here so much I changed the last night of my trip to stay here as well.

I wish now I had stayed there for the entire trip.

Each room is exactly alike and while small, they are very comfortable and stylish. The bed is super comfortable and the unique shower and toilet design worked well for me. (glass tubes for each set in different parts of the room). Think of a cross between Woody Allens movie "Sleeper" and some of the uniformity features of the Patrick Mc Goohan tv show "The Prisoner".

The staff bent over backward to be helpful and seemed genuinely friendly to everyone. The coffee shop, food place in the lobby was very attractive and the food and coffee were quite good.

Also one very important feature for me. When I got to Amsterdam, I discovered I had no cell phone coverage on my Cingular AT& T service. Citizen M has phones in the room that look and operate just like regular phones but are Skype. I talked to the US for a really long time both days and had no charge at all on my bill. I thought this was a mistake and asked but the staff informed me that unless a person talks for multiple hours the phone service is usually free. WOW! This was very useful for me with no cell phone for my trip.

Overall, I have no complaints about my stay and would say you should try this place for a unique and fun experience.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2009

I would rate this hotel at 3 1/2 stars. The rooms are quite unique. They are very modern and clean. There is a big king size bed which is actually the width of the whole room. e. There is no place to put your luggage and no chair to sit on. There is a big flat screen TV mounted at the end of the bed with a remote to control the TV, the lights and blinds in the room. The toilet and shower are enclosed in circular pod-like glass doors. My teens enjoyed changing the colour of the lights in these 2 enclosures. We took tram #5 to get to the downtown area. The bus terminal is a 2 minute walk from the hotel. The staff will tell you where you can park your car for free all night (dropoff spot is a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel). There are many tourist sites and museums to visit. We especially enjoyed taking a bike tour through Mike's Bike Shop. Be prepared to do a lot of walking along the canals and neighboring streets and take lots of photos along the way!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2009

I stayed here for work (a conference) in Amsterdam - was here for two nights. I like it - it was the kind of experience I wanted - a hotel that is a little bit "different". It's definitely "cool" - it has internet, 24 hr bar/snack area, nice communal areas in which to work or rest around the "lobby" and so on. Essentially it's a modern interpretation of a hotel, especially a hotel for mid-range business travellers.

I liked it - clean, cool, functional.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business