“Quirky, clean and great value.”
Review of citizenM Amsterdam

citizenM Amsterdam
Ranked #48 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 27 January 2010

Stayed here for two nights on business in the nearby World Trade Centre building. Recommended to me by a colleague, this hotel is certainly very different to the run of the mill Holiday Inns and Novotels I'd usually select. Think of a Japanese-style pod / capsule hotel and you'll not be million miles off in terms of what to expect - except you get a window and a very high tech shower and lighting system! Compared with the Novotel near the WTC, I got two nights at CitizenM for less than the price they were charging for one, and both the room and public areas were spotless, comfortable and well maintained and Wi Fi is free too!

Conveniently located close to the Amsterdam Zuid metro & rail stations, Tram line 5 (about 20 minutes into the heart of the city) & numerous buses, the hotel is located in a quiet and decent residential / commercial area albeit that this means there's not really much in the way of choice when it comes to eating. And that's bad news if you're hungry because the CitizenM 'canteen' is nothing more than a glorified convenience store with a very limited selection of overpriced snack foods. If you want more than a croissant and coffee for breakfast, you'll be disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
hotelexpertAmsterdam, social media citizen at citizenM Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2010

Dear Huddsguy,

Glad you enjoyed your stay.

I just would like to point out some options of restaurants near us.

In the same street of the hotel, 2 minutes walk, there is the Restaurant As, Mediterranean cuisine using only organic ingredients.

An oriental restaurant, a Steak house and a café-restaurant are within 5-7 minutes walk, at the Beethovenstraat. In the same street you have some local shops, bookstores and cafes.

Hope next time you stay with us, you can try one of them. Of course if you have any specific preference, always ask suggestions from the Ambassadors.

All the best,
citizen Diego

Write a ReviewReviews (4,974)

Reviewed 27 January 2010

Just like in the pictures...or even better!!!Romantic, comfortable, with free internet access in the lobby...like a heaven in the cold city of Amsterdam!!!However, since there is always a but: Don't go there if you are not feeling comfortable with your partner (the curtain in the bathroom does almost nothing), don't stay in the same room with someone that is not your partner and be careful: try to get out of the hotel - it's hard to leave your huge bed- ..the city of Amsterdam is also great!!!

and a small tip: choose the "hottest" as a temperature when you are asked for it...it's not hot...it's just ok when you are visiting Amsterdam during the wintertime!

Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2010

I really like the concept of citizenM hotel: a small but luxury room, canteenM for a quick snack or drink, and several lounges. Free internet, and very nice personel.
I would really recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2010

I stayed together with my girlfriend, and we loved the place. The concept is cool and the decoration is outstanding. This place is perfect if you would like to stay in a non-conventional hotel or if you are a backpacker but hate hostels. This place has the charm of a hostel without being one. The rooms are fun, and the powerful shower is exactly what you need after a long walk in Amsterdam. The only inconvenience is the distance to the main touristic attractions, however a good choice for business travelers since it is right next to the World Trade Center and one main train station. The staff is young and very friendly and always willing to assist you. Very good choice, we highly recommend it

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2010

Actually my review is for the Citizen M hotel at Schipol Airport in Amsterdam. I have not stayed at the one in central Amsterdam but just read a review on this hotel on Trip Advisor. The guest described the staff as "similar to Macdonalds". This is so contrary to my experience at Schipol Citizen M that I can hardly believe it. The staff were fantastic .... especially a girl with red framed glasses who shared my enthusiasm with design, was so knowledgeable and design savvy and loaded me with so much info on the interior design and architects responsible for this exceptional hotel. I was blown away by all the design elements, state of the art Vitra furniture and lighting, the most amazing books I've ever seen - could happily have holed up there for a while and not even gone into Amsterdam. Unfortunately it was a one night stopover, my flight was leaving early morning. Next time in Amsterdam I plan to stay at both Citizen M hotels based on my experience at the Schipol one.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 January 2010

This was by far one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in! Everything was perfect, free wifi, use of computers, right beside the tram line 5 stop. It was a 5 min walk to the WTc train station! The room was gorgeous so clean and modern, and my boyfriend loved the moodpad! The staff were 100% and so helpful! Def will be staying in the citizenm again... Thumbs up!

Reviewed 16 January 2010

I am not going to write much about the hotel or the rooms - it is just a fantastic. Other reviews go into details about the HUGE comfortable bed, gadgets, rain shower ... and strange toilet arrangements ... I was with my sister and we really didnt care about this - infact we had a really good laugh!! I travelled with my sister for a 3 night 'budget airline' break during half term. The room was 55 Euros a night - a breath of fresh air in a very expensive city.

Check in at the self check in desks is really easy - but I am part of the 'computer generation' I did see lots of other visitors struggling. There is a 'citizen' to help you if you need it - and that brings me to my only bone about this place.

The staff are rubbish, in a nut shell, totally awful! Imagine a hotel being run by the same teenagers who serve you a Big Mac - with about the same enthusiasm. My sister left her mobile phone on the coffee kiosk, we went outside for a cigarette (absolutely no smoking inside the building) and when we returned it had gone. The staff on duty were not at all interested and told us what did we expect in a public area? We enquired about contacting the Police and the staff member told us theft was very high in Amsterdam and they would probably not be interested.

Secondly on our final night another guest had been smoking in their room and set off the fire alarms in the hotel - we evacuated 3 times over the night as the staff did not know how to reset the alarm. Eventually a member of staff from the CitizenM at Amsterdam Airport arrived to show them how to do it - as you can imagine most residents were not in the best of spirits ... we were offered no apology - not even a cup of coffee to keep us warm while standing in the late October Amsterdam frost.

I guess in a way the awesome rooms and inexpensive rate took the edge off this experience and we can look back and laugh as 2 young travellers, but I cant imagine the guests with families were so forgiving.

I would certainly visit the CitizenM again, and really hope the concept grows to other large cities across the globe - as long as you don't need any help - and you can be a self sufficient 'citizen' you will LOVE it !

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Japanista
hotelexpertAmsterdam, social media citizen at citizenM Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2010

Dear Japanista,
It makes us really happy by reading your enjoyment on the concept.
During your stay, in October, there was a guest smoking in the room spite of all the no-smoking signs around the hotel and in the room; we are a no-smoking hotel. Our fire alarm is off the highest standard for your safety and in case of heavy smoke it will not stop until the smoke has decreased to an acceptable level. We already took action on that and now we have a machine that cleans the air fast so that the fire alarm does not keep going on and off for a long period.
I went back to track your specific concerns about the Ambassadors and the issue with your sister’s mobile phone. We understand we need to be very careful and sensitive in situations like this and have spoken to the staff members on shift. They apologize if their response did not come across as genuine, as they did really care about your stolen phone.

Other than teenagers, our staffs were carefully selected by their smile, dedication to serve and their ability to understand our guests. The experience you had is not the one we want our guests to have.

We did appreciate your feedback and since the e-mail you’ve sent to our Hotel Manager, at that time, actions were taken immediately to prevent from happening again.

We really hope to see you soon, should this happen, let me know so I can personally welcome you back.

All the best,