“Quite disappointing”

WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #37 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 April 2013

On arrival, I loved the hotel. It was 15 minutes from the airport, and a 5 minute walk from the tram stop. The location is good, as trams are frequent, and it takes 10 minutes into the city centre.
It's surprising that a few decorations and mannequins can make a hotel look so funky. I loved the decor.
We checked in early, and was offered a room on the 10th floor, and asked if this was ok. We are fine with heights so didn't mind. At the time we didn't realise that the hotel sky bar was right next door. When we went out in the evening at approximately 7, the bar was already playing music, which could be heard faintly in our room. When we returned at about 11pm, the music was pumping, and the doors to the bar were left open despite 2 rooms being next door. In the lift, the information stated that the bar closed at 1am. However, at 1.30am I was woken up by someone on the phone right outside the room, and music still playing. The noise eventually died down at about 2am, but I had been continuously woken up from 11pm until 2 am due to the music. Obviously I did not have a good night's sleep.
On the morning of the 2nd day, I went to reception to inform them that my sleep had been disturbed, and was told that the room is only usually given when the hotel was fully booked, which is wasnt! So they moved us to the 6th floor. Which was right next to a door allowing access to all rooms on the floor. So again, throughout the night, if anyone returned to their room, I was woken up by the sound of a door slamming. The walls are paper thin, so I did not get a good night sleep throughout the 2nights of stay.
I have stayed in many hotels before, some of which were not as expensive, with fewer stars, and their rooms have been better sound proofed that this. I do not usually complain, but to place guests next to a bar and next to a door which is frequently used, is simply ridiculous. We visited Amsterdam for a relaxing cultural holiday, and specifically stayed outside of the city centre so that we could have early nights, and avoid the partying.
Also, on changing rooms, we left a travel adaptor in the room. On the evening of the 2nd night, I called reception to request that it was returned to me. They said that they would look into it and call me back. Half an hour later, I had heard nothing. I was unable to do my hair, as my straighteners had UK plugs. I rang them again, and was told they would call back, without even asking for my room number. 20 minutes later, I went down and was told that nothing had been found and they provided me with a replacement. I find it hard to believe that an expensive travel adaptor could go missing, when it was left in the wall.
Also, I may be a prude, but I found it very strange to have a glass door separating the shower from the bedroom. Luckily I was travelling with my partner, but if you travel with anyone else it would inappropriate.
Overall, I had a lovely time in Amsterdam, but the lack of sleep due to the hotel dampened my holiday. The hotel has the potential to be amazing, providing that the noise is controlled.

1  Thank CuriousCatticus
NPEvers, General Manager at WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2013

Dear Lkaidi,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor and for your compliments. I will share your feedback with my entire team. With regards to your comment about the noise I would like to offer my you sincere apologies. I do hope to get the chance to welcome you again as our guests in the future. I kindly ask you to contact me directly via nico.evers@westcordhotels.nl to make a reseravation.
Nico Evers

Write a ReviewReviews (4,223)

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Some colleagues and I stayed here on a business trip. Unfortunately we had no tie to try out the pool, but the breakfast downstairs and the bar at the top floor were enjoyed by us all with pleasure.

The rooms were nicely decorated and clean. Bathrooms were of high standards.

To get in to the city center of Amsterdam you can jump on the tram which takes you there quickly or if you like you can walk there in 45-60 minutes. One direction in nice weather is a nice experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Dear curiousSwede,
Thank you for staying with us! It's great to read that you and your colleagues enjoyed your stay ! Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor and for recommending it to others! Hope to see you again in the near future!
Kindest regards,

Reviewed 25 April 2013

We have stayed at WestCord Fashion during easter weekend based on the positive Tripadvisor comments. The hotel was excellent. Nice, clean rooms, excellent breakfast, cozy bar.
The center is easy to reach by public transport. Good choice, no doubt about it.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Dear chris324,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor and for your compliments. I will share your feedback with my entire team. It has been a pleasure to welcome you to WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam. We are looking forward welcoming you again as our guest in the near future!

Reviewed 25 April 2013

I booked this for a group of friends, it was a little way out but in a nice part near some canals. Public transport is closeby and easy to get into the city centre, it was nice to stay outside of the city centre for a change, get to know a little of where real people live. Hotel room was amazing, booked a triple, so much room and lovely design. Definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Dear PZrim,
I have just read your review of your stay in our hotel and would like to thank you for your kind and enthusiastic words. We are very happy to get 5 out of 5. It was a pleasure having you as our guest, and we look forward to welcome you again in the near future!
Kindest Regards,
General manager

Reviewed 24 April 2013

I booked a suprise 4 day break with friends, to the fashion hotel for my husbands 50th birthday and our 26 wedding anniversary for the 18-21 april. It is a little out of the city but with the tram just 5 mins walk down the road at a cost of 16 euro each for a 3 day pass, we didnt find this a problem. The rooms are very modern and comfortable. We found the staff to be very friendly and also helpful with advice when asked. We only visited the Sky Bar on one occassion and enjoyed it but found the bar on the ground floor more to our liking. It is a lovely place to just chill out day or night. We used the pool for a swim on the morning before we left which was nice although the changing facilities are not fantastic! Just one room with lockers in and two open showers plus no lock on the door so people just walk in and out. Finally, on arriving back to our room at the end of our first day, the hotel had left a bottle of bubbly, strawberries, chocolates and flowers as a gift for our celebrations which we thought was lovely. We would definately recommend this hotel to friends and would also stay again ourselves.

Dear N-eastcheekymonkey,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor and for your compliments. I will share your feedback with my entire team. It's good to read that you enjoyed the Prosecco we offered for your wedding anniversary. It has been a pleasure to welcome you to WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam. We are looking forward welcoming you again as our guest in the near future!

Reviewed 23 April 2013

What a great hotel!The room absolutely spotless!The Sky bar is always enjoyable after a nice meal served at the bar.Well Done to Housekeeping and Food/ Beverage team!You really made it!All staff helpful and friendly I would definitely recommend to my friends and family!
Also not so far from the Tramway you paid 12 euros for 48hours pass!
The hotel is outside the town but convenient is only 15 min drive from the airport!
Will definitely come back again!

Dear elodie s,
I have just read your review of your stay in our hotel and would like to thank you for your kind and enthusiastic words. It’s great to read that you will return to our hotel. Thank you for recommending our hotel to others! We look forward to welcome you again in the near future!
Kindest Regards,
General manager

Reviewed 22 April 2013

Hotel is amazing, very creative, stylish and staff are extremely helpful and polite. Tram is opposite hotel, 5 minute walk and is only €2.30 to Centre of Amsterdam and takes 10-15 minutes. Would recommend this hotel, so much so, I've just booked it again in June. Only negative is that the bar and room service closes at 2300, however the SKYY bar is open until late if you want more drinks!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Dear JAMI3,
I was delighted to read that the hotel and the staff have met your expectations!
Thank you for the nice pictures and for choosing our hotel. It’s great to read that you will recommend and return! That’s the best compliment we can get
Kindest regards,