“just a normal one”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Zurich, Switzerland
“just a normal one”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

We stayed in the "Fashion" hotel just after Easter. A new hotel in a very good shape. Even the building of a modern, sometimes very personality - poor architecture is pretty.
Location wise I wouldn‘t agree with so many reviews here. I do agree that it‘s only 15 minutes to the very centre, however I didn‘t enjoy the route at all - those are not the best surroundings of Amsterdam, sorry I did discover so many much more beautiful faces of it. And the tram stop is something like 0.8 - 1 km away from the hotel.
The welcome at the reception was just fast food taste. Nowadays, in the era of communication I‘d expect a more personal touch. For me a really good hotel is a symbiotic of a good sleeping quality and excellent hospitality. Putting a good mattress in the room it‘s not enough anymore. fortunately.
The room was very modern and in a good condition. The bathroom was just awesome! Equipped with a bathtub and shower. spacious and clean. I wouldn‘t want more.
Honestly I didn‘t enjoy so much the fashion decoration either. Not my taste - too kitschi and cheap, I would prefer a descent hall, for sure.
We didn‘t take any breakfast and were so happy about it - Amsterdam is just full of nice small-big size cafes with very cozy family concepts, nothing of conventional Starbucks style. Which I enjoy. Always.
After all I would give a good mark for the hotel, simply because they do care about their property, the quality of the hardware is nice, I would just improve the software.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
NPEvers, General Manager at WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Dear natzar,
I have just read your review of your stay in our hotel and would like to thank you for your kind words, and also for pointing out in which areas we could make improvements! It’s nice to read that you like our bathroom so much. It was a pleasure having you as our guest, and we look forward to welcome you back in the future!
Nico Evers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tamarac, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

I stayed at the property from March 30th to April 3rd. I loved the rooms the location was fantastic away from the chaotic square. I rented a bike from the hotel and rode it everywhere; there is a fantastic Park not too far from the hotel that I rode through to get to the square. I had breakfast at the hotel once it was OK but I am not really a breakfast person. There is this restaurant called “WOK to Walk” at the square that I went to everyday for lunch, its stir fry where you pick what you want to go in it and they cook it in front of you. The only thing that was annoying about the room was the shower; it did not have a door. I usually take long showers and the entire bathroom floor got wet. Other than that I loved it, staff was great and I will definitely be going back, hopefully the price stays reasonable.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Lpowell76,
I have just read your review of your stay in our hotel and would like to thank you for your kind words. Your compliments for our hotel and staff are very welcome! Your comment about the shower is very appreciated.
Kindest Regards,
General manager
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

Overall the stay was quite nice. The hotel is clean with well appointed rooms. The staff are quite helpful and pleasant.

Cautions:
There really isn't a lot to do right near the hotel, but there are some good options within a 10-15min walk. So, if you need to get out you can but it won't be right around the corner.

Bonuses:
I travel for work quite a bit and normalcy is more important than night clubs and bars. There are two of the cities nicest, largest, and most popular parks just outside the door of the hotel. So a very nice walk in the evening is easy to accomplish. Or just some top grade people watching. These also offer a nicer walk into the city center than just taking the streets, or tram which is only a block from the hotel if that is needed.

There are some great neighborhoods just to the east of the hotel, with good dinning and shopping options. Maybe not loads of shops but plenty to keep you busy. And several national groceries which is always the best method to get a sense for the culture you're visiting.

Decor:
Okay they didn't quite pull the fashion motif off. I spent the early portion of my career as a retail designer. The interior strikes me as a project of an retail design firm and not a hotel/hospitality design firm. Cross category designs like this always seem to fall a bit short and that holds true here as well. It is okay, but it feels like I'm sitting in a retail store after hours and the service lights are on - when you get to see what the store REALLY looks like.

Summay:
I would have no issues booking here again for work but I would seriously consider booking a car as it would be more convenient. If I were booking for pleasure I would likely make another choice closer to the centre of the city.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank clntng
Dear clntng,
Thank you for staying with us! It's great to read that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor and for your recommendations with regards to our décor. Hope to see you again in the near future!
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

On arrival, I loved the hotel. It was 15 minutes from the airport, and a 5 minute walk from the tram stop. The location is good, as trams are frequent, and it takes 10 minutes into the city centre.
It's surprising that a few decorations and mannequins can make a hotel look so funky. I loved the decor.
We checked in early, and was offered a room on the 10th floor, and asked if this was ok. We are fine with heights so didn't mind. At the time we didn't realise that the hotel sky bar was right next door. When we went out in the evening at approximately 7, the bar was already playing music, which could be heard faintly in our room. When we returned at about 11pm, the music was pumping, and the doors to the bar were left open despite 2 rooms being next door. In the lift, the information stated that the bar closed at 1am. However, at 1.30am I was woken up by someone on the phone right outside the room, and music still playing. The noise eventually died down at about 2am, but I had been continuously woken up from 11pm until 2 am due to the music. Obviously I did not have a good night's sleep.
On the morning of the 2nd day, I went to reception to inform them that my sleep had been disturbed, and was told that the room is only usually given when the hotel was fully booked, which is wasnt! So they moved us to the 6th floor. Which was right next to a door allowing access to all rooms on the floor. So again, throughout the night, if anyone returned to their room, I was woken up by the sound of a door slamming. The walls are paper thin, so I did not get a good night sleep throughout the 2nights of stay.
I have stayed in many hotels before, some of which were not as expensive, with fewer stars, and their rooms have been better sound proofed that this. I do not usually complain, but to place guests next to a bar and next to a door which is frequently used, is simply ridiculous. We visited Amsterdam for a relaxing cultural holiday, and specifically stayed outside of the city centre so that we could have early nights, and avoid the partying.
Also, on changing rooms, we left a travel adaptor in the room. On the evening of the 2nd night, I called reception to request that it was returned to me. They said that they would look into it and call me back. Half an hour later, I had heard nothing. I was unable to do my hair, as my straighteners had UK plugs. I rang them again, and was told they would call back, without even asking for my room number. 20 minutes later, I went down and was told that nothing had been found and they provided me with a replacement. I find it hard to believe that an expensive travel adaptor could go missing, when it was left in the wall.
Also, I may be a prude, but I found it very strange to have a glass door separating the shower from the bedroom. Luckily I was travelling with my partner, but if you travel with anyone else it would inappropriate.
Overall, I had a lovely time in Amsterdam, but the lack of sleep due to the hotel dampened my holiday. The hotel has the potential to be amazing, providing that the noise is controlled.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CuriousCatticus
NPEvers, General Manager at WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, 27 April 2013
Dear Lkaidi,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor and for your compliments. I will share your feedback with my entire team. With regards to your comment about the noise I would like to offer my you sincere apologies. I do hope to get the chance to welcome you again as our guests in the future. I kindly ask you to contact me directly via nico.evers@westcordhotels.nl to make a reseravation.
Kind regards,
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

Some colleagues and I stayed here on a business trip. Unfortunately we had no tie to try out the pool, but the breakfast downstairs and the bar at the top floor were enjoyed by us all with pleasure.

The rooms were nicely decorated and clean. Bathrooms were of high standards.

To get in to the city center of Amsterdam you can jump on the tram which takes you there quickly or if you like you can walk there in 45-60 minutes. One direction in nice weather is a nice experience.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear curiousSwede,
Thank you for staying with us! It's great to read that you and your colleagues enjoyed your stay ! Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor and for recommending it to others! Hope to see you again in the near future!
antwerp
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

We have stayed at WestCord Fashion during easter weekend based on the positive Tripadvisor comments. The hotel was excellent. Nice, clean rooms, excellent breakfast, cozy bar.
The center is easy to reach by public transport. Good choice, no doubt about it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dear chris324,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor and for your compliments. I will share your feedback with my entire team. It has been a pleasure to welcome you to WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam. We are looking forward welcoming you again as our guest in the near future!
Kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

I booked this for a group of friends, it was a little way out but in a nice part near some canals. Public transport is closeby and easy to get into the city centre, it was nice to stay outside of the city centre for a change, get to know a little of where real people live. Hotel room was amazing, booked a triple, so much room and lovely design. Definitely recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear PZrim,
I have just read your review of your stay in our hotel and would like to thank you for your kind and enthusiastic words. We are very happy to get 5 out of 5. It was a pleasure having you as our guest, and we look forward to welcome you again in the near future!
Kindest Regards,