“Close enough to town”

GreenLeadersSilver level
newcastle
“Close enough to town”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Clean, cheap, and quality.
Close enough to make the tram ride and short walk an acceptable compromise. Good fixtures and fittings as well as a comfortable bed. As an ex Amsterdammer, I am highly aware of the number of poor quality city center hotels that have attracted good reviews from back packers that are happy with a flop house. I would/will certainly stay here again

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank wildebed
NPEvers, General Manager at WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear wildebed,
I‘m delighted to read that the hotel and the staff have met your expectations. Thank you for choosing our hotel! It’s great to read that you will return! That’s the biggest compliment we can get!
Nico Evers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

This hotel was within easy reach of the centre it was easy getting around by trams you could buy your tickets from the hotel,the staff were very helpfully,and the hotel itself was very nice it was clean and modern they came into the room every day and cleaned,also the beds were really comfortable,and huge would definitely look at booking this hotel in the future,only downfall was the breakfast,but to be fair we did go down late so it was probably just the scraps left lol

1 Thank emma-waz-kelsey
Dear emma-waz-kelsey,
Thank you for staying with us! I’m delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much! I will share your compliments with my entire team! Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor and for coming back in the future! That’s the best recommendation we can get!
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We all have our off days and I'm not one to tar everyone with the same brush, but when one chooses to work in hospitality, one should be polite and friendly to the customers. I found possibly the most unfriendly and rude hospitality worker I've ever had the displeasure to encounter in this hotel - so much so, I didn't really want to stay. I hope, if you choose to stay here, you don't have to encounter this reservations manager. I have travelled all over the world, from Tokyo to Dubai to New York to Reykjavik, and never have I felt so belittled and humiliated by someone who is meant to make me feel welcome. The reason for our encounter being his staff made a mistake and gave me misinformation that affected my booking, but in his eyes, it was my fault. And there I thought the first rule of hospitality was "the customer is always right."

The spa and swimming pool were ok but the hotel doesn't feel like a 4 star; more like a 2 star hotel that has been on some reality TV makeover show as the finish is pretty cheap and flashy - if you've stayed in real 4 or 5 star hotels, like the Waldorf Astoria, you'll know what I mean. No view from my room whatsoever, but the room itself was comfortable, although the double bed was two singles pushed together. The bath was deep and the toiletries were pleasant. The choice of TV stations on offer, especially the "Movies Premier" channel, was below standard as only straight-to-DVD films were shown.

The room service was good and quick and the breakfast was an ok spread. Check in and out were fine.

Overall, I'd spend my money elsewhere in Amsterdam, even if it means any extra 20/30 euro, especially as the location is not central with nothing interesting nearby and Amsterdam is a beautiful city.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Taaffed
manon_deboer, Manager at WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Mrs. Taaffe,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. I'm sorry to read that our hotel did not meet your expectations. We always try to meet the needs of all our guests, unfortunately we failed in your case. My colleague has never intended to be rude, but the mistake was on our side, that is correct.

I hope we can get in contact: manon.deboer@westcordhotels.nl.

I do hope to get the chance to welcome you again as our guest in the future!

Mrs. Manon de Boer
Booking Office Manager
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We chose the hotel as we were able to drive there, park our car and use the efficient public transport to get into the city centre. As honeymooners, we were delighted to be greeted with a card from the manager and his team, who also left chocolates, roses and bubbly! The room was fabulous, immaculately clean and very stylish. The staff were very attentive, from the reception staff to those in the restaurant and bar. We chose to add half board to our room-only rate, and were very glad we did. When we told the waitress that we try to exclude certain foods because of my husband's medical condition, the chef himself came to see us for a chat, and prepared us a delicious three-course dinner, and also included an extra appetiser. I used the swimming pool to relax after our sightseeing. We can't recommend this hotel highly enough, and would love to return to see the spring flowers.

2 Thank Yorkshirepride2013
Dear yorkshirepride2013,
“Supurb service”, what a great start of a review! Thank you for staying with us and for your compliments. I’m delighted to read that our honeymoon gifts and that we have met your expectations. I will share your feedback with my entire team. I’m sure that our chef Stephane Besse and his colleagues will all be proud to read it. As a General Manager I’m very happy to have such dedicated team members. Thank you for recommending it to others! I do hope to get the chance to welcome you again soon!
birmingham
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Although this hotel was a bit out of the way I would definitely use it again as it was just a short walk to the tram stop and the transport system is incredibly reliable. The interior is terribly modern and 'trendy', rather unlike me, but whilst I wouldn't decorate my home that way I guess it was quite stylish, my partner certainly approved. The bedroom was spacious, and the fab bathroom had a separate bath and shower. Toilet was separate to these, which we liked. We had our own iron and ironing board and a large, flat screen TV, the facilities were great. Best of all we slept like babies, the curtains blocked out all light, the room was quiet and the bed was huge and sooooooooo comfy.
The spa and pool area were fantastic too. Roof top bar was ok, over priced and the staff came across as rude, that was the only down(ish) point of the stay. The reception staff were friendly and very helpful. We didn't use the restaurants, Amsterdam has too many cracking places to dine.

1 Thank 19ginger75
NPEvers, General Manager at WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear 19ginger75,
I just read your review on Tripadvisor and I would like to thank you for your compliments with regards to our comfortable beds! They are especially designed for WestCord Hotels. I’m very happy that you rate us with 5 out of 5. I'm sorry to read about your bar experience. I would like to offer you my sincere apologies. I do hope to get the chance to welcome you again as our guests when your travel plans bring you back to Amsterdam.
Rossendale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

my girlfriend and i arrived on Friday 17th Jan and had a short weekend break. the hotel was easy to find with links via public transport convenient and accessible. this was our first time to amsterdam and thanks to the friendliness and helpfulness of staff (as well as the beautiful city itself) we will definitely be returning!!!

the hotel and room we stayed in (4.22) was immaculate, comfortable and luxurious. the food was exquisite. unfortunately we didnt get a chance to get down to the pool or wellness centre as we were so busy.

as for the price..... 105 euros for 2 nights including city tax..... amazing value!!!

thanks again for a memorable stay

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank adam w
adam w,
“Amazing” what a good start for a review! Thank you for staying with us! I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and that you rate us with 5 out of 5. Your compliments are very appreciated and will be shared with my entire team. I look forward to your next visit!
belfast
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel on our nieces recommendation and everything she told us was correct.It is out of the center but so easy to find and so easy to travel into the center.At airport catch train heading towards central station and get of at first stop lelyland station.Then go down stairs and catch either the number 1or 17 tram heading for central station which come every 5 minutes and get of at the second stop surinaplein I believe its called. Walk 500 yards back in the direction you came and your there. Receptionist was friendly and very helpful.Room was lovely and we received a free bottle of champagne and card to celebrate my wifes birthday a lovely touch. Food was excellent and all staff were very friendly and most helpful during our stay. To go into dam square the number 1 or 17 Get you there in 10 minutes and as I said they are every 5 minutes or less. I can't recommend this hotel enough superb value.

4 Thank shanesmanor
Dear shanesmanor,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor and for your compliments. I’m very happy to read that you enjoyed the Prosecco we offered for your birthday. It has been a pleasure to welcome you to WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam. We are looking forward welcoming you again as our guest in the near future!
Kind regards,