“Overall? An excellent hotel - we would certainly come back again!”

WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #36 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I booked a 3 night stay at this hotel to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday on the strength of Trip Advisor recommendations so we were coming here with very high expectations :)
The first thing that surprised us was it's location. It was about a 5-7 minute car ride from the airport (a positive) and was located on/in a busy network of roads in an anonymous business/residential area which feels it could anywhere in the world - if this makes sense? Of course we were fully aware of its location before we went but it was a bit weird nevertheless!
Anyway, once inside we were impressed by the luxury look and feel of the hotel and especially by the warm welcome we received from Joey, one of the reception staff :) our check in was efficient, thorough and friendly and covered everything we needed to know to commence our stay. Our allocated room 522 was on the 5th floor of the hotel overlooking the rear of the hotel and a communal garden area of the apartment blocks that are adjacent to the hotel. I cannot stress how quiet and peaceful this hotel and it's rooms are :) you literally cannot hear a pin drop here day or night which for us, who live in central London, was fabulous !!! The room was clean and well appointed, the bathroom and toilet are separate and the bathroom did have the much reported glass door and glass window that looks through into the bedroom but none of these caused us any problems in terms of privacy. The only negative thingsI can stay about the room is the horrible hard pillows and the leatherette cushions and bed cover which were certainly not to my taste - an exercise in style over substance I'm afraid in my opinion.
We did go down and explore the stylish pool and spa areas and used the pool (which is free of charge to hotel residents). The pool was 1.4m deep thorough out making it excellent for poor swimmers like me, the poolside area was well equipped with plenty of loungers, and seating, showers and fantastic underfloor heating! There were also a sauna, gym and various beauty treatment rooms but there is a charge incurred for their use. We did not gave time to utilize these :(
Whilst we did not have an evening meal at the hotel we did have breakfast which was fab! A really wide range of cereals, fruit, juices, jams and spreads, teas and coffees, breads and pastries, continental meals and cheeses as well as a full English breakfast option.
The only slight criticisms I have regarding the breakfast experience are that the hot food items were not keep particularly hot by the overhead lights thereby rendering them lukewarm and unpleasant :( and the excellent ability of the waiting staff to be vastly unfriendly and to ignore tables full of dirty crockery and leftover food on tables despite the restaurant being nearly empty !! We did venture up to the Sky Bar on the 10th floor as we had been given tickets for 2 complimentary tickets for cocktails on account of it being my wife's birthday. The staff were friendly and the service slow but the evening views from the bar were absolutely wonderful and worth going up for but we found the cocktails to be rather expensive (had we paid) and rather short on measures :( The bar decor whilst stunning was a bit too blingy for our tastes so was not an environment we visited again during our visit. Beware, there are bedrooms up on the 10th floor directly adjacent to the bar which must be horrifically noisy to stay in during the club nights they hold :( bear this in mind if offered one of these!
As the hotel is located some 15 mins or so outside Amsterdam, you will need to catch a tram into the city centre. The tram stop for trams 1 &17 is located about a 5 minute walk away from the hotel - hotel staff will give your directions as well as a map of Amsterdam and sell you travel cards to use on the trams. The trams run very frequently and you can hop on and off whenever you like. The tram system is fairly easy to learn how to use and we were soon old hands at finding our way around:)
The only truly negative experience we had during our stay was that, on our return to our room one day, we found our room had not been serviced or refreshed. We called down to Reception to report the problem only to be told that Housekeeping had gone home for the night so our room could not be cleaned ! It was inferred that the reason our room hadn't been cleaned was that we had put a DND sign on our room - we had NOT!! A member of staff bought us up some fresh towels and toiletries but we would have preferred for the room to have been cleaned - surely this is not too much to ask for a 4* hotel ???? This episode rather spoilt the stay for us, especially when on reporting the problem to Reception again the next morning to ensure our room was definitely serviced, we were again accused of putting up the DND sign on our room!!!! Grrrrrrr :(
Anyway, this aside we had a lovely stay at this hotel. We enjoyed its location away from the hustle and bustle of central Amsterdam but within easy reach of all the attractions. The staff, on the whole were friendly, knowledgable and efficient and the hotel quiet, clean and relaxing. Luxury at a budget price!

3  Thank Katalin R
NPEvers, General Manager at WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Katalin_webster,
I have just read your review of your stay in our hotel and would like to thank you for your kind words. Your compliments for our hotel and facilities are very welcome! I would like to offer you my sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience with housekeeping. It was a pleasure having you as our guest, and we look forward to welcome you again in the near future!
Kindest Regards,
Nico Evers

Write a ReviewReviews (4,160)

Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in November 2011 - I have only just signed up to trip advisor but thought should leave a review as I know how helpful they can be when trying to decide where is best for your requirements.

The hotel is stunning, very modern and was nice and peaceful, if you are not fussed about the 10 min tram ride to central then this hotel will be perfect for you.
We returned to Amsterdam earlier this month and stayed near the central station, and in all honesty we found this much better as we really felt 'in Amsterdam' and got to explore the place and see so much more of the city - but as they say - each to their own ...

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simon G

Dear Simon G,
I have just read your review of your stay in our hotel and would like to thank you for your kind words. Your compliments for our hotel and facilities are very welcome! It was a pleasure having you as our guest, and we look forward to welcome you again in the near future!
Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 23 February 2014

This was my second stay at the Fashion Hotel and I can thoroughly recommend it. Though it is someway out of the city centre (20 mins by tram) it provides as excellent base, certainly if like me you are in the city on business. A very regular tram service passes the hotel and it is only a 10 minute walk to the Lelylaan train and metro station.
At first sight the hotel doesn't look particularly inviting as it's a modern block alongside the city ring road. Even when you enter reception it looks rather stark, but the check-in is friendly and efficient. The rooms are also very comfortable and a reasonable size. They have a good shower and full size bath though some guests may be rather put off by the fact the bathroom door is next to the bed and is made of glass, so no privacy.
Wi-fi is excellent and the TV has an extensive range of channels including BBC1. There is also a mini bar and ironing board.
The hotel has two bars, one at lobby level and a cocktail bar on the 10th floor. The lobby bar is very pleasant with a good selection of drinks and bar food. For me though the hotel restaurant is the real star. It offers fine dining at a reasonable price (20-30 euros for a main course) a good wine list and again the service from the young staff is excellent. They are able to tell you about the food and wine which makes a change these days. The fact the restaurant is so good is a bonus because there are very few nearby alternatives.
Breakfast is also very goof with a good selection of both hot and cold items and all seemed pretty fresh.
The hotel also offers an indoor pool and spa, neither of which I used but other guests I spoke to were impressed.
In my view this is an excellent hotel especially if in the city on business, though for sightseers it may feel a little too remote from the centre. It is well run and the staff are a credit to the hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank soluta

Dear soluta,
I'm very happy to have you as a regular guest and I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your stays in our hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience, I look forward to welcome again!

Reviewed 21 February 2014

My very good friend and myself surprised our hubbies for Xmas by booking a weekend in Amsterdam. The hotel was totally out of this world! Lovely big beds, champagne with breakfast, 10th floor bar overlooking Amsterdam and wonderful company. The hotel is 9 tram stops away from the centre, which was great as you could see some of the shops on route. It is so convenient. The staff were absolutely fantastic and good fun. We had a ball. Gorgeous pool, and just really lovely. The rooms were immaculate with lovely powerful wet room type showers. I could not honestly fault the place. I'd go back tomorrow. Amsterdam itself is a fabulous place. It's a must!

Room Tip: Any room. Our rooms were on the fifth floor, but the location of the hotel is lovely and quiet anywa...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Debbie E

Dear Debbie E,
“Fabulous” what a good start for a review! Thank you for staying with us! I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and that you rate us with 5 out of 5. Your compliments are very appreciated and will be shared with my entire team. I look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 21 February 2014

My self and my partner stayed at the hotel from 13-17 of feb (14). And i must say we were very impressed by the standard in the hotel. The only critisism is the price of food and drink. We arrived late and as we werent to sure of the area we called room service 2 cheese burgers was 32euro!! we didnt bother that much because we were starving having no eaten for 24 hours. We went to the skyy bar...felt like a spare part tbh, dnt get me wrong it sky view was amazoing but again too pricey for us 0.24 of a pint ( quarter of a pint) and a vodka and coke was 11euro!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how that price is justified is beond me. The next day was valentines day and we reserved a table in the resteraunt. 2 steaks (no starter or desert) was 50 euro!!! we didnt mind paying that as we where on holiday and it was valentines day. we walked from the hotel to the dam square which was nice but beware of people on bikes who will run u down if u dnt get out the way quick enough lol A little pip tho for thise going ona budget...wlak to the shop and buy juice as u will need to remogage your house to afford it here. also we found out that it is ok to fone in a take away (wish we had known this in the first few days we where there, would have saved a fortune). Staff are very helpfull and friendly nothing is to much bother. Buy day tickets from tickets and tours and great savings to be had( amsterdam dungeons. mm not to impressed it was about a boat! i though it would have been under ground lol loved the coffeeshops and canals. Had a great time will defo be back!!

Room Tip: we were in room 901 below the skyy bar but didnt hear a thing. A liitle tip tho if you smoke probs...
2  Thank ashley22marshall

Dear ashley22marshall,
Thank you for staying with us! It's great to read that you enjoyed your stay so much! Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor and for recommending it to others! Your comments with regards to our food & beverage are appreciated. I do Hope to get the possibility to welcome you again as our guest!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Excellent hotel at a budget price. The transport links were very good and a 3-day public transport card costs only 16euro each (Tip!: Make sure you know when the trams stop running. We stayed out too long in the city centre and had to fork out 30euro for a taxi back at 1am). We walked to town via vondel park and found that very enjoyable as well.

The hotel will ask for a 100euro deposit however on arrival (you may be able to decline, perhaps) which you'll get back if you don't spend it. We used our deposit for breakfast. The breakfast is very good with a wide range of choices, a little costly but is roughly the same price you'd pay in most hotels anyway.

In all, We'd highly recommend this hotel if your looking for a cheap but luxurious hotel.

4  Thank Cai O
NPEvers, General Manager at WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Cai O,
Thank you for staying with us! I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and that you rate us with 5 out of 5. Your compliments are very appreciated and will be shared with my entire team. Thank you for recommending our hotel to others! I look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Gorgeous hotel, nice and peaceful. Only a short tram ride or taxi to everywhere - taxis are expensive though and you get to see loads more on the tram. Hotel staff lovely, clean room and bathroom. First time in Amsterdam and would stay again if we go back.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank missmaynard

Dear missmaynard,
Thank you for staying with us! I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay! Your compliments will be shared with my entire team! I’m very happy to read that you will return. That’s the biggest compliment we can get!
WestCord fashion Hotel