“A Word of Warning”
Review of Anno 1685

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Anno 1685
Ranked #268 of 337 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We were looking forward to staying here in September but due circumstances beyond our control (work mostly) we had to cancel. Please take note that we DID NOT stay here. We had sent a deposit of close to 500 euros to Anke with the remainder due upon our arrival. Even though her cancellation policy clearly states that there will be no cancellation fees since we cancelled well before our intended arrival she still withheld 100 euros as an "administrative fee" for all of the work she had to do. After several emails back and forth, she eventually refunded us an additional 50 euros but still not the full amount of our deposit. What started off as a very amicable relationship turned quite nasty in the end. We decided to cut our losses and thank our lucky starts that we will not have to deal with this woman ever again.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Yakster007
There are newer reviews for Anno 1685

Reviewed 21 July 2011

One time and never ever again.

The house is O.K.
Besides one point. ANKE...

I was very surprised, because other reviews about the owner where all positive.
But the lady is not very friendly.

Attention. please ask Anke before you arrive how to proceed, because after we arrived she was very, very unfriendly!!!!

The first word: you are too late. You didn´t inform me exactly about your arriving time.
And her face. She looks very very unhappy and unfriendly.
(after reading some reviews, we was not the only one!!!!)
We apologized a lot of times, but no chance to calm Anke.

The sun was shining and she don´t like to wait for the people.
But we didn´t speak about arrival time.
From 14 o´clock is mentioned on the page.
We arrived at 15:30.
What did the word "from" mean??
The only thing we had combined was, to phone 20 minutes before arriving.

Me and my wife where not happy and we didn´t feel good the 4 nights we spend there.
Anke show us the house and informed about the RULES!!

"Attention with the doors. don´t crack doors, close everything, don´t forget to switch of the lights..." And what a sound she used. unbelievable.
I felt if my mother was talking with me, but I´m over 40 years and this was not O.K.

The house is very old. You can not feel free, because Anke lives above and you can hear every word and evey step. (also at night until 1 - 2 in the morning)
The terrasse is o.k. but if it rains you can´t sleep, because the rain will
fall over the roofing (plastic) and we couldn´t sleep. such a noise.

On the 2nd night a neighbour starts with noise at 6:30 in the morning.

The bathroom stinks (no window) and the house was not very clean.

Hairs on toilet and on the bed.
A lot of mosquitos. closed armoires...

Sorry. for 150 euro/night it´s much overrated.

The bikes for 10 euro/day are very old and we didn´t use them
They didn´t look safe.

Sorry Anke, but you have to learn to talk with your "clients" otherwise you will
not have any chance for long time.

By the way. Everytime we left the house she was surprisingly on the road.

Anytime she asked us to write a positive review. Sorry Anke. It was not good.

For 600 euro we deserved better, and friendlier.

We can´t recomend. Amsterdam is a beautiful city and we will come back, but not to
Anno 1685.

Never again.

Sorry, but our impressions are that Anke is only behind the money...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Mrxrot
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I am a wholly deaf solo traveller. During June 2011, I rented a large studio apartment on the ground floor at Anno 1685, Amsterdam for 5 nights. I met the friendly Anno 1685 owner Anke outside Anno 1685 at 16:00 hours as arranged. She showed me around it – she treated me with respect. She told me if I would need any assistance, I could go up and see her – she lives above Anno 1685! After she left me, I found Anno 1685 a very charming traditional old Amsterdam building!

I loved the pretty small paradise garden with 100% privacy where you can enjoy your breakfast, or having some drinks to relax! The bed was very comfortable next to the huge bathroom with shower! The kitchen was great – you can cook with the electric cooker (4 hobs and oven), toaster, microwave, kettle, etc. Saucepans, frying pans, plates, cutlery, etc. also provided. Oh yes, there’s a fridge with a small freezer inside it! There’s Internet access at Anno 1685 with a cable – you can plug it into your own laptop, or Anno 1685’s laptop provided free of charge! There’s a Plasma TV set, too! I felt it was like another home to me – no busy-bees hotel breakfast atmosphere!!

Anno 1685 is in a good location – you would enjoy sightseeing Amsterdam on foot – you may not need to get any trams, or buses, unless you are in a hurry, or unable to walk much further, or carrying the heavy bags. Just to inform you if you would arrive in Centraal Station from Schipol Airport by train – you would get either tram numbers 1, 2, or 5 to get off at Prinsengracht for Anno 1685 (about 5 mins’ walk).

There are plenty of restaurants everywhere in Amsterdam, especially Leidseplein (about 5 mins’ walk from Anno 1685) and Rembrandtplein (about 12 mins’ walk). The nearest big supermarket is called ‘Albert Heim’ on Elandsgracht via Prinsengracht – about 8 mins’ walk from Anno 1685. There are also various shops nearby.

It was worth staying there to enjoy the real old Amsterdam style experience! I feel sure you will love it! See some pics!

Room Tip: 100% privacy in the small paradise garden!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Deaf-Debo
Reviewed 1 February 2011

I cannot fault the apartment, ground floor, very clean, tv, dining table, full kitchen, shower room, sofa and a comfy bed! Would recommend staying here. Exactly as described and even prettier than looks in the pictures.

Only downside to staying here was our greeting from Anke, the apartment owner. We arrived early in the morning, check in time wasn't until 2pm. I was in contact with Anke a few days before leaving and she said she would happily let us in earlier...however no specific time given. We had a nice walk along from the station and must have arrived 1h 1/2 after landing.

We were greeted by quite an angry Anke, bombarded with insults and given a complete slating (Which comes as quite a surprise after seeing other reviews on here!)

We were told people normally called at the airport, called at the train station and let her know a specific time of arrival! After apologising several times (simply out of shock!) she continued for 5minutes outside, for her then to continue as we were shown around the apartment. I can say we gladly never seen or heard Anke until we gave our keys in when leaving.

Going by other reviews lack of communication may have caused this problem, however I would like to add nothing which deserved the attitude we were given. Anyone staying here, email anke and ask what she expects you to do!!

In the words of Anke "you type of people always do this"!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jill186534
Reviewed 23 November 2010

I stayed at Anno 1685 with my husband for 3 nights in November. I have to say that this little apartment is the best place I have ever stayed in any European city. The location is perfect. It is located on a quiet little street, close to the trendy 9 Streets shopping area of Amsterdam. I have never slept well in city centre apartments due to the people and traffic noise at night. Not so with Anno. The only noise you can hear is the occasional bicycle bell or scooter - it is so peaceful and relaxing. I was amazed by how close Anno was to the bustle of Amsterdam. We hired the apartment bikes for 2 days (thanks Anke) which was a perfect way to see Amsterdam and it was lovely to come back to such a warm and welcoming place - it was like coming home. There is everything you need in the apartment from a fully stocked kitchen to little things like umbrellas to use on your walks around the area and copious maps and guides. I felt like I was staying at a relative's house. The owner (Anke) was really helpful and nothing was too much trouble for her. I would love to stay here again in the Spring or Summer to see the apartment garden in full bloom.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Arrived to find Anke, the delightful owner, waiting to explain the apartment and hand over the keys. Charmingly appointed, the ground floor apartment has all you could want, well equiped kitchen, comfortable bed, tv, internet and a charming secluded garden. The location is perfect on the Liedsegracht, a picturesque small canal between the Prinsengracht and the Keizergracht canals, close by is the Jordan with lovely cafes and bars, supermarket etc. and you are so close to central Amsterdam but in delightful peace and quiet. Very nice to sit by the canal and watch the boats go by, yet a five minute walk to the Leidseplein. My three days here passed all too quickly in these delightful surroundings and perfect weather, I'm sure Anke was responsible for that too! Highly recommended

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank paulosussex
Reviewed 3 January 2010

We have been to Amsterdam 4 times previously and love it there, so decided we would like to spend our New Year's Eve is the city. The places we have stayed before have been fine but Anno 1685 was such a good find (I'm actually a bit unsure whether to post this review as no doubt Anke will be inundated now!).

Its in a great, quiet location but only 10 mins walk from Dam Square, and the location was one of the highlights for us. It is also on the ground floor which is a bonus, as where we have stayed before have always been on 2nd or 3rd floors with very steep stairs. This of course is part of the charm of the Amsterdam houses but it made such a nice change for us not to have to drag our bags up the narrow staircase.

The apartment has everything you could wish for - fully equipped kitchen, nice big bathroom and lovely shower with plenty of hot water, and the apartment was really warm which we were really grateful for as it was freezing when we were there.

Anke was very helpful but not intrusive - we knew where she was if we needed her.

There is also 2 bikes for hire with the apartment if you feel like it - we took advantage and we loved it - definitely the best way to see this city.

We will be visiting Amsterdam again and are hoping that Anno 1685 is free, in fact will probably book flights around it. I would not want to stay anywhere else now. Thanks so much Anke for making our weekend so enjoyable!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple