“Exceptional”

Restaurant Daalder
Ranked #21 of 4,402 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$55 - US$81
Cuisines: French, International
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Jordaan
Description: When you come into our home, you can expect fine, Michelin-quality cuisine in a down to earth environment. We serve a 4-o 7- course pre fixe menu, made with beautiful fresh ingredients, all hand picked in Paris by our head chef and co-owner, Dennis Huwaë. His exquisite dishes look like art, and with their many flavors and textures, his creations are a delight to the palate. Because we don’t like the atmosphere of reverence that this level of food usually comes with, we do things a little different at Daalder. We like to serve these fine dishes with a smile in a joyful, unpretentious atmosphere. And, because we strive to make delicious and beautiful food accessible, you’ll be still smiling when the bill is presented! Warm Regards, Team Daalder
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Recommended by our hotel and we got a table on a Sunday evening. We cycled from South of the city as it was a beautiful evening. Now when you arrive don’t be put off, small restaurant on a corner and it looks like a bar counter but...... round the back there are a few tables.

Greeting and service was exemplary from beginning to end. We went for the 7 course tasting menu with full wine flight, expensive but we were celebrating our wedding anniversary. They also do a 5 course tasting menu and half wine flight.

From the off we were presented with dishes that exploded with tastes and textures. Canapés to amuse bouche to the home made bread al tasted exquisite. Each dish was carefully explained and followed up to make sure we liked it.

The menu started and it does not disappoint. The sommelier talks through the chosen wine and you can understand why he chose it when you each the course. Each wine brought out the flavours in the course and each course worked in tandem with the wine.

Now this is a big menu so be hungry but when you get to the finale you will have had an experience in what I would say is the best restaurant in Amsterdam.

RestaurantDaalder, Manager at Restaurant Daalder, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Mr. Bird,
Thank you for your visit at Restaurant Daalder! We are more than happy to hear you had a great night last Sunday. The weather was beautiful and still is:)
Amazing to hear you call Daalder the best Restaurant of Amsterdam! Our team takes a lot of effort to be one of the best and it makes us so happy to read your nice review! Thank you! Hopefully you will inform your friends, and we will see you back again n the near future. Kind regards, Team Daalder

Write a ReviewReviews (1,308)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We are blown away by the intense yet subtle flavour of our 4 course lunch menu. The chef won Gault Millau most talented chef 2018 and we can totally see why. At 45 euros it is the best value innovative haute cuisine in my view. The food is much better than many Michelin star restaurants in London Paris or Singapore. Service is friendly and personal.

Dear Ms. Patricia,
Thank you for your nice review! We are more than happy to hear you had a great lunch experience at our restaurant.
We looking forwards to welcome you again! Kind regards, Team Daalder

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We ate at Daalder our last night. We noticed it was more locals than the previous places we had eaten, which includes the one Michelin starred Bridges at Hotel Sofitel Legend Grand and two Michelin stars at the Waldorf Astoria's Librije's Zusje. Then add in Restaurant 212, which was outrageously good and I'd be shocked to not receive Michelin acclaim - and on the last day of a pleasure trip to Amsterdam with my wife you would think nothing could surprise us - you'd be wrong.

Amazing.

After all the great food we had in Amsterdam - and that kind of high level experience night after night after night - Daalder stood up to them and more.

It's a more casual environment than the other places, but the staff is serious and the food is exemplary.

We noticed more locals at this place than our other places.

Michelin will come calling soon....it's a fantastic place.

Great work, Chef Dennis - we talked for a bit before we left about where you stacked among the elite in Amsterdam. Your food is in the biggest of big leagues - outstanding. My wife, clearly on the last glass of wine called you "beautiful."

We have laughed about that comment ever since. She clearly lost control! Enjoy your amazing future and see you next year when we arrive again.

RestaurantDaalder, Manager at Restaurant Daalder, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear LuxeFamilyFun,
Thank you so much for your visit at Restaurant Daalder!
Wauw! We are so happy to hear you had a great last night! Thank you for the amazing compliments! What a beautiful list of Restaurant you have visited during your stay in Amsterdam.
Hopefully Michelin heard you:) and just between you and me...A lot of woman losing control of our handsome Chef, luckily he is a star in the kitchen as well. We looking forwards to see you next year!
Kind regards, Angelique van der Kolk & Team Daalder

Reviewed 18 May 2018

This restaurant was recommended by our Top 10 guide simply as a nice place for local food, and WOW what a big understatement!! My husband and I chose the 5 course dinner there began the truly superbly presented and wonderful taste journey!! I took photos of each beautiful dish. Since it was not as packed as usual we had the great opportunity to give personal compliments to The Chef, his right hand assistant and friendly waitress. I was clapping! We were then treated to an extra Stroopwafel ice cream desert!! Truly a wonderful experience and I have photos to remember it by!!

RestaurantDaalder, Manager at Restaurant Daalder, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Mrs. Lily Doherty,

Thank you for your visit at Restaurant Daalder and your nice compliments! We are so happy to hear you had a great experience!
You were wonderfull guests! Hopefully you will remember us and we see you next time when you visit Amsterdam.
Kind regards, Team Daalder

Reviewed 16 May 2018

I ate at Daalder for the first time on the 4th of October, 2015. It was a darling friend’s birthday and I treated her to a 5 course meal because I was feeling indulgent. Last week, I was lucky enough to find myself at Daalder again. This time, a new chef.

I was worried—I thought maybe I wouldn’t experience the same attention to detail, flavor profiles, and general perfection because, admittedly, it was one of the best meals of my life at the time. The chef knew what they were doing. Don't worry, this story has a very happy ending.

On May 10th, I found myself at Daalder again, promising my American parents a wonderful meal (as long as they covered the bill—they graciously agreed, really not knowing what they were getting themselves into). 150 Euro. Pre fixe. 7 courses, 7 wine pairings, 4 amuse-bouches. I'll start by saying I cannot emphasize enough how impressed I was.

Okay, I’m 26 years old, but I worked in a kitchen for years (thank you Duo Catering, Santa Barbara) and if anything makes me happy, it’s good food (good wine is a close second). I don’t think I can even properly describe how good this meal really was. Gastronomic without being obnoxious, clever without being pretentious, all with a wonderful, attentive, honest wait staff that puts any other team to shame. Thank you, I hope you’re reading this.

The amuse-bouches started with a salmon “nigiri,” perfectly caramelized fish over what can only be described as a sushi rice meringue. “Fish and chips” on a potato wafer, a raspberry tuna salad, and something I’ve forgotten because oh my word, there was just too much good stuff.

It started with North Sea Crab with green pea and lemongrass and béchamel. We were the first people to try this new dish and I’d like to think that makes us… influencers? It was perfect. Perfect. Served with what I believe was a crab bisque. Poseidon would blush, it was so rich and forward and full.

Then a poached egg (on the coddled side) nestled under perfectly crisp cauliflower, brown butter, and a dusting of coffee. “Are you serious right now?” It was so balanced, buttery, creamy, custardy, livened with that coffee aroma (subtle, gentle, warm)—probably the best egg I’ve ever eaten.

Then, a lettuce leaf, dolloped with 10 frickin’ grams of imperial caviar, radish, a freshly shucked oyster, and sprouts (if memory serves). My father almost had a stroke, it was so good. He’s hard to please. Just… wow.

Langoustine with broccoli, sweet onion reduction, and green algae. Kill me.

Green asparagus with morel mushrooms, parmesan, and Amalfi onion. Asparagus is my favorite food. I’ll eat it raw. They had a perfect subject. They blew my mind. The mushrooms were so unctuous, meaty, flavorful. I’m clapping, you just can’t hear me.

Squab. Yes, squab. Normally, I don’t eat eat besides seafood. Just not my thing, don’t @ me. I couldn’t bear to not indulge in the full prix fixe. Sacrilege, right? I wasn’t disappointed. It was served with a “gnocchi” that I’d more accurately describe as a soft, firm potato purée. The firmness of the #rare bird was perfectly offset with this luscious, indulgent textural plating. Seriously, there was a sweet corn preparation of sorts with ramsons. For those of you who may have been raised in California or are just as dumb as me (hey friends), ramsons are this kind of herbaceous, garlicky, bold yet soft herb—also called wood garlic or bear's garlic—related to chives and native to Europe and Asia. The breast was glistening with what appeared to be a wine reduction, glossy and sweet. Glistening!! I am not exaggerating, it was really special.

Dessert was an interpretation of stroopwafel, but ice cream, because I want to have a heart attack before 30. It was divine. Salt-bodied caramel ice cream sandwiched with crispy sugary waffly, unbelievable crispness, served over a literal tin of crumbled cookies.

The sommelier knew exactly what he was doing. He indulged in describing everything in detail to my fascinated father, and nothing disappointed.

You folks are geniuses. Keep it up. I’m coming back as soon as I can.

RestaurantDaalder, Manager at Restaurant Daalder, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2018

Dear Calvin,

WOW! Thank you so much for giving us this wonderful feedback! We are very pleased with all of your compliments!
What goes around comes around.... you were really nice guests and for us it is so special to see food lovers enjoying every bite and get a larger and larger smile:)
The third amuse was a profiterole filled with Old Amsterdam, Really? Raw asparagus...
Thanks Calvin, we hope to see you again in the near future, so please visit Amsterdam again!
Kind regards, Team Daalder