“Nice place but costly”

Boutique Hotel View
Ranked #101 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 20 September 2011

An impromptu short trip to Amsterdam from London, so decided to try out this hotel.
The location is pretty good with proximity to the main tourist areas. Hotel was not difficult to locate.
My room was up on the 3rd level. No lift and the staircase is steep and narrow. Quite an adventure just bringing the luggage up the stairs. The hotel staff (Natalie) did offer to help porter the luggage...
Room was of good size, with a nice view. There is a hook outside the window that can be used to hoist furniture and bulky items up to the room - somewhat unique for buildings in Amsterdam. Room comes with TV, fan, ensuite toilet/shower. No air-conditioning.
I have to comment on the toilet. The flush is way too strong! You get water rushing out from the rim of the toilet bowl when you flush, at least I will like to believe its just water...
Free internet only at the basement, no WiFi available.
Resident pets are so charming - there is a small dog and a kitten.
I find the cost bordering on the pricey side, relative to what I get. But I suppose most other hotels in Amsterdam are expensive.
Overall, I will recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Not handicap or elderly friendly.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 September 2011

This is one of the best hotels that I have stayed in for the money. The service was above and beyond what is expected- nothing was too much trouble for the brother and sister team.
The location is excellent for business travelers and tourists, but is in a quiet street so that you do not get loads of noise to disturb you. It is next to several tram lines and is very easy to get to the RAI or DAM Square etc.
The hotel over looks the canal which is very nice. It is very easy to go running from the hotel around the canal circuit.
I stayed at the hotel on business with 3 other colleagues and all of us had a similar experience!
This is how hotels should be, but don't tell anyone else!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I found Boutique Hotel View by reading reviews here on TripAdvisor, and what they say is true. The atmosphere is very welcoming and charming. The hotel has relatively new management and they are obviously eager to please and make guests comfortable. I was pleased with my room, which felt more like walking into my living room at home than a hotel room.

My only dislike was that the bathroom was fairly unimpressive. Things were a little hectic at breakfast given that they're short-staffed but I think new management will work that out in due time.

Location truly was brilliant for exploring central Amsterdam away from red-light district.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank mv4164
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I stayed at this "boutique" hotel for 2 nights - On checking-in Natalie was very nice, she gave me an "upgrade" to a small double room, the stairs are very steep and narrow so she carried my case to the top floor. The room smelled of stale smoke but I decided not to complain, strange colour of green decorated the room/bed throw and pillows, small "Juliet" balcony was the best feature of the room.

My room overlooked the canal on the corner, Cramped bathroom with shower and curtain so the water slopped everywhere.

No tea/coffee making facility but a hair-dryer was available in the bathroom, free standing fan in the room as no air con.

I made the mistake of leaving my window open (smell of smoke more than anything) and was bitten extensively by some sort of bug - hence the reason for the fan!

Free internet access available in the basement via 2 PCs, no printer.

Breakfast was from 8am so I did have it the first morning, normal continental but cooked breakfast was available if you wished.

The owners dog and 2 kittens had the run of the place, so if you dont like animals be aware! they were elsewhere during breakfast but on my last morning, I left before breakfast had started, food was out and the kitttens were running round up and over where the food was laid out, one stuck its head in the bowl of "fruit salad"!!!!!

A bit of a walk to the Train Station but close to the trams which could take you round Amsterdam. No cafe's/deli's close by, I think you could buy a coffee/soft drink./drink at the reception but I wasnt told this on check-in.

It was a nice enough stay, for the money I think I could have had somwhere nicer/more modern, common areas (stairs/landing) could do with a "tart-up" to be honest, Dont think I would rush back.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank twinklestar2307
BoutiqueView, Owner at Boutique Hotel View, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2011

Dear Mrs,

many thanks for your review, we always appreciate it when a guest takes the time to write an opinion about our beautiful Hotel.

Indeed you booked a room without Canal View and we upgraded you to a Canal View room Green Design with a balcony. The green color scheme cannot be your taste, but this is personal preference. On the first floor we have brown design, on the second floor a pink design and on the third floor a green design. You can always sent us an email when you have preference for a color scheme, and we will allocate you this room.

Our Hotel is smoke free, its absolutely not allowed to smoke!! Guests that will smoke in the room will get a smoking penalty of € 150,- On every door and at the reception there is a sticker to communicate we are a smoke free Hotel. If you communicated to the front desk that you wasn’t satisfied with the smell, we do the upmost to change your room. But as you already stated in your review you decided not to complain so we didn’t had the opportunity to do something about this dissatisfaction.

We have a free broadband WiFi high speed connection available and two computers. Instead what your review suggest, we have a printer available where 60% percent of our guest make use of to print there boarding passes and museum tickets. We are printing this with no extra charge. We have free coffee and tea making facilities on request. all stated above you can also find in our guestbook and will be told when you check in. When this wasn’t told to you when you checked in we need to tighten our check in procedures. This we will review in our next staff meeting.

About the two kittens, because of some sad circumstances they were in the Hotel only for a short time (3 weeks). We couldn’t put them on the street so we decided to find a boss for them. They now have a boss and the Hotel is “animal” free. During the breakfasts the cats always were locked up, because Hygiene and cleanliness is extremely important for us.

Our Hotel is located 2 minutes walk from the Leidsesquare, what’s a boiling square full of bars, café, restaurants, Starbucks etc. In our Lobby you can see a big fridge with a big sign where all the prices are written of our alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. We have 24 hours room service available.

I hope to welcome you as our guest in the future, if you have any more questions or remarks, you can always contact us either by mail or telephone.

Reviewed 6 September 2011

I loved everything about this hotel!!!!! We had a small double with a canal view- it was lovely and the best part is the hotel felt welcoming and was clean and in a great location. It was a close to a major tram stop and easy to get to from the airport by bus.
The hotel building is charming- although the small double was small ( knowing I was going into that) everyhing is true to their word.

I highly recommend!! Natalie and her crew are the best!!! A sure boutique it is.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We stayed 3 nights at the Boutique Hotel View and we were really happy with our choice.
The Hotel is very close to the centre, the room was small but really nice, clean and comfortable. The breakfast was good and the selfmade pancakes were great!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I would have rated excellent. They need to fix room 2 however. We have stayed in other basement hotel rooms in Amsterdam. This one was fine except for the shower room. The mold was so bad I wanted to throw up every time I went into it. Thankfully, the toliet and an extra sink were in another room so I only used it for the shower and to throw trash in the trashcan. The owner and staff are wonderfully and they have 2 computers in the basement with internet access. We did not have breakfast because we were meeting friends, but it looked really good and worth the 10 euros per person easily. The breakfast area looks out onto the canal. Room 2 has windows that open with black iron grates for safety. So we watched peoples feet. Which was fine because I at least had the fresh air from the windows coming in. I would stay again if I could stay on a higher floor. We only stayed 1 night. This hotel is rated really high on booking.com.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family