Boutique Hotel View
US$204
US$159
Room Mate Hotels
  • Restaurant
WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$242
US$110
  • Pool
XO Hotels Couture(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$130
US$104
US$362
US$271
US$260
US$241
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
XO Hotels Park West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$127
US$100
  • Restaurant
Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$156
Agoda.com
  • Bar/Lounge
1,001 results
All reviewscanal viewview roomsmall double roomsmall canalsteep stairsleidseplein squareno lifttop floorsmall hotelfirst floorlocation was perfectquiet streetbooked this hotelbeautiful citybeds were comfortablebars and restaurantswalked everywhere
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My Mom and I stayed at the hotel for two nights and loved it. We had a large room with high ceilings on the first floor. The beds were comfortable, and having a fan in the room certainly helped with the heat. Although the stairs are steep, the staff is more than willing to carry any luggage you may have, so just take your time, and enjoy the authenticity of the canal house.

Breakfast was delicious and the breakfast room has a beautiful canal view. The staff is so friendly, genuine, and accommodating. I even heard the owner offering to do laundry for a family, and she made me special gluten-free pancakes with bacon.

The location is ideal. We were able to walk everywhere, but if that's not your cup of tea, you are right near several tram stops at the Leidseplein, as well as a bus line that will take you to and from the airport quite quickly.

The bathroom takes a bit of getting used to as it is totally soaked after showering, but again, it's authentic Amsterdam. ;)

Thanks so much for a great stay!

Room Tip: Room 102 was great! No canal view, but you get that from the breakfast room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Dansay
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Be advised, this is not your cushy, comfortable hotel experience. It is a boutique hotel. The rooms are small and the stairs are kind of a pain, but this makes the experience more authentic. If you can't hang, stay at a Marriott or something. If you are a real traveler and want to actually experience the place you are staying (not feel like you are still at home), stay here.

I had an amazing experience here with my girlfriend. The staff was incredibly friendly, informative and hospitable. Oudo insisted we have a drink with him on his birthday. The room was clean and well furnished, we had a great canal view. We came in the winter, so we kept some food out on our little balcony to keep it fresh. Great location, but Amsterdam is a city where its easy to get anywhere fast. They have breakfast.

Nothing bad to say at all.

Room Tip: Definitely get a canal view room,
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick B
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I went to this hotel last weekend. We were supposed to stay in a small double bedroom with canal view, booked over 5 months ago (!!). However, we ended up in a small double bedroom without canal view but they were trying to charge us 169 per night anyway!! The room was ridiculously small, we could barely move between the bed and the wardrobe. I also have to add that the bathroom wasn't practicable. Hopefully we did stay 2 nights only, the 1st morning we left the room at 10 am ish & when we came back in the late afternoon the room wasn't done yet. We had to search / ask for new towels ourselves in order to have a shower. Maybe we have just been unlucky they gave us the worst room, but it's not admissible when you book so many months in advance!! I definitely don't recommend it. The only good thing is the location, this explains why I am giving them a 1

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank keira22
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We chose this hotel based on many good reviews, but we did not ask the right questions as we booked, particularly “is there an elevator,” and “are the rooms air-conditioned?”

All members of the hotel staff were simply delightful, and very helpful with information - and with luggage, which was more than just a plus. The hotel is small, and rooms are arranged on three floors plus two in the basement. Access is by very steep and narrow stairs. I managed to get my suitcase up the steps from the street to the reception floor but after that I was prepared to leave unless I had help getting my luggage up the steps – there is no elevator. Our room was on the top (fourth floor by US numbering) and there was a significant effort needed just to climb those stairs; another guest on the same floor, much younger than I am, confessed to finding it exhausting. We actually went out one morning leaving something behind rather than climbing back up to the fourth floor to get it! Coming down those stairs was somehow even more daunting, given the steep angle, and doing so with a suitcase was beyond me.

Rooms with numbers ending in 3, or 4, plus the breakfast area on the reception floor, have a view of the canal. Other rooms essentially look at a brick wall of the neighboring building, and a bit of a central patio with some trees. By the time we arrived and understood that not all rooms had canal views, the hotel was fully booked and we were out of luck.

Rooms with numbers ending in 3 have a bathroom with a tub. Bathrooms in the other rooms are essentially large shower stalls – the shower adjoins the toilet or the sink, and you will have to wipe down the toilet before using it after showering. This is a standard arrangement in some European hotels, but we’d not experienced it for some time, and it does take getting used to.

Our stay coincided with a hot spell in the weather, and the lack of air-conditioning made sleeping difficult. The hotel provides fans, but no cross-draft is possible. The beds are fitted with a bottom sheet and a heavy duvet, again very common in European lodgings – but providing two options – no cover, or too much cover!

The breakfasts are very good, and you can just choose to have a coffee if that is your style.

The location is excellent, close to the major restaurant district and in walking distance of the museum district and several canal boat stops. If you go when the lack of air-conditioning is not a potential problem, and have a first floor room on the front, don't hesitate - but understand the challenges of the upper floors.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Purmamarca
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The location is fantastically central and the reception staff couldn't be friendlier. Providing gluten-free breakfasts is also a definite plus (the "French version" pancakes - like crepes - had my friend in raptures. The "Dutch version" was more filling but much less appetising). And on arrival we were upgraded for free to lovely spacious, bigger rooms. My friend had a fantastic room on the first floor, complete with old fireplace. I had the basement room - almost as spacious but not as light. Unfortunately it was right on the street and at the foot of the stairs to the hotel so quite noisy for folk stopping and having a chat (and an argument, as happened for 30 minutes on the first night!). And you also get the noise from the reception room when guests are arriving or leaving. But the beds are really comfy.

The chaos refers to breakfast. There's one person on and they have to do all the food (including pancakes and eggs), set the tables and deal with people checking out. The reception, kitchen and dining room are all in the same area. On our 2nd morning, we had to wait for coffee and I got my crepe about 20 minutes before my pal. The person on duty got extremely grumpy - I'm not surprised given the pressure she was under but it didn't do her or the hotel justice. On the 3rd morning, we waited for ages for the table to be set (cutlery was still in the dishwasher after an earlier big group), got our own glasses for juice from other tables and again had to wait for a while for hot food, with 20 minutes between us. The person on duty gave the impression of being quite relaxed (she told us of an Amsterdam saying "Take it easy, before easy takes you!"). Just as well we weren't in a hurry! There also don't seem to be enough TV remote controls for the rooms (I had to ask for one) and I had to keep asking reception to activate my room card (they had to let me in one time because the machine that did that was down).

We were on a relaxed holiday with no real deadlines, so all this wasn't as annoying as it might have been. But if you needed a quick breakfast, you won't get it, at least not on our experience. Come on, HBV, get the basics right! So much of what you do is 5 star and that's what saves this review from being 3 star. Also be aware that if you have mobility problems, the stairs are very steep and there is no lift....though the great staff will help you with your luggage.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room looking out on the street. If you can, get the big double room with the fireplace
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends