“Poor service”

Mai Thai
Ranked #1,104 of 3,814 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
UK
“Poor service”
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We visited this restaurant because, on the previous night, the lady outside had persuaded us to try their special deal. I had explained that I didn't like the 'hot, spicy' curries and she explained that if I told the waitress they would be able to make it mild. My husband likes Thai food, so we agreed to go the next evening.

Unfortunately, that lady wasn't there the next day. The waitress inside the small restaurant didn't smile at all and made no effort to modify the meal as had been promised. She just said 'It's already mild' and walked away. Needless to say, it was far too hot for me and I couldn't eat it. My husband said it was bland!

On the plus side, the starter was tasty and the rice well cooked.

Gainesville, Florida
“Pad Thai was good”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

My Tom Yum soup was pretty weak with two shrimps but many mushrooms and tasted just average. My wife liked her pad Thai and shared it with me. Good sized portions but a bit pricey for lunch.

Visited October 2013
“Beware of paint stripper strength cocktail! The food was average.”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Pleasant and prompt service. The food was overpriced, but Amsterdam generally is, given its central location. I was shocked to be served such a strong cocktail, which would have been great if I was attending a hen/stag do.
It filled a hole.

• Visited September 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Cheap and tasty”
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

We called here on a busy Saturday night although the streets were empty the restaurant was quiet. We choose the two course special option chicken skewers with peanut sauce and Thai green curry and rice 2nd option spring roll with beef ....... and rice. Cannot fault the food it was fresh and full of flavour.
Waitress was a beautiful Thai girl and such a sweetie.
Very pleasant evening. Wish them success in building up their customers.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank ketchupgirl22
Belgrade
“Just eat there, and relax”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

The woman befor Mai Thai restaurant is desperate like Jehova´s Witness in her attempt to drag into this restaurant. I felt sorry for her and ... I came in.
Yes I knew her interest for me was fake. she aksed me where I came from.
- Serbia.
- Serbia?? Never heard of.
- Balkan...
- Balkan?? No.
- Ex yugoslavia, you know Tito, Non-Alighen Movement, Nehru, Sukarno, Nasser...??

Then she rushed outside to lure some other tourists, ANd she succeeded at this.
And no she did not hear of Tito and Yougolavia either. Great disappointment.

Ok, let´s talk seriosly.
Hot soup with shrimps (only two shrimps, though), and pork in curry sauce with fried noodles. - that was my choixe, and it was good. Well, almoust very good.

They had Singha - Thai beer, but no any indigenous brandy.

The chef of the restaurant is old man with black hair. Family restaurant. The picture of Thailand´s royal couple is hung on the wall at the entrance of the restaurant.

She did not know of Tito?!?! I can´t believe.

Never mind, the place is warm and cute, it is piece of shabby thai place in the midlle of equaly shabby Amsterdam. This is the tourist area, all right, but eat there anyway, and leave a tip, please.

They are open til midnight.

• Visited June 2013