“Quirky, appealing. convenient.”

Ranked #104 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Chicago
“Quirky, appealing. convenient.”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Stayed here for a Show at RAI. Very convenient, about a 10 minute walk. Also walkable to museum area and a few blocks to tram 5 and the center city. Front desk is helpful, friendly, and polite. Restaurant is a little indifferent; like they were trained by a different company.

I screwed up on check-in and can never figure out which countries count the first floor as zero. Thought my key was bad. Front desk personnel hand carried my luggage back up and made sure all was OK. Refused a tip! (Dorothy, we're not in Kansas anymore). Everyone speaks English as if it were their first language, oddly with seemingly more of an American than British dialect.

Decor scheme is "what can we do with a bad-looking 1950s (on the outside) 40+ year old hotel and make it hip, fashionable, and euro-traditional at the same time. So you get a little of it all from a decor scheme. To be fair, its really all fine and some is very nice inside.

Breakfast is very steep at 22.50E for a typical spread, nothing special. Internet is 7.50 per day, not too bad and worked fine.

Beautiful view overlooking the canals. Upgraded to a small suite; I sense the regular rooms are a bit tight, but this was fine. Of the RAI area hotels, this was a value when I booked. I think I did very well.

Room Tip: Overlooking canal is nice.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
ApolloAmsterdam, Manager at Apollo Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Dear Sir,Madam,

Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam would like to thank you very much for taking the time to remark on your stay.

I am pleased to hear that the service of the hotel staff was good and that you have enjoyed your overall stay. Thank you for leaving your comment about the staff in the restaurant, could you let me know what you mean with ‘trained by a different company’?

And in responding to the hotel decor scheme, we are currently in a renovation process which means that all rooms will be renovated to make everything look like the same style. Also I would like to point out the additional costs for Internet, we offer free Wi-Fi for Wyndham members which you can ask for at the reception. Membership of Wyndham by Request is free of charge.

Hotel Manager Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Asker, Norway
Reviewed 22 May 2012

The hotel is situated a little bit south of Amsterdam centre, but trams or a rental bicycle will easily take you into the centre in no time.
The hotel itself is a mixture of business and tourist hotel, and the surroundings are very quiet. It's also nice to sit in the bar, watching one of the many canals around.
The staff is really nice, and mostly very attentive. The hotel is clean, and the rooms are of standard size, and just what you need for a long-weekend in lovely Amsterdam.
The room rate for the week-end was around what you expect for a hotel of this standard in a city like AMS. What makes me slightly disappointed are that you have to pay extra for absolutely everything. It seems a little petty, to charge customers for Wi-Fi connection these days, when even most hotels in "tax-loving" Norway gives you that for free. Another thing is the price for the breakfast. Special rate was 16 Euros pr. person pr. night. Standard rate is 22 Euros.
The breakfast was good, but I’m not sure it’s worth this kind of money. You can go out, and walk for 5 minutes to a nearby café, and they'll charge you 8 euros for 2 big sandwiches and coffee. The only reason why we chose to have the breakfast at the hotel was that we prefer to be able to go up to the room to brush our teeth etc. after eating. So for that you pay a price.
Having visited several hotels with lower standard than this, both inside and outside Europe, with both Wi-Fi and breakfast included in the price, I found that having to pay extra for this, makes the hotel, or at least the Wyndham chain look a bit “greedy”. I know that they also need to earn money, but how come other hotels around the world can manage? We also experienced bus-loads of tourists on the Saturday and Sunday which brought the logistics to a collapse during breakfast, as they all came in at the same time. But that's something they have to expect. They could have foreseen this by looking at the bookings in advance, and prepared for this scenario. The poor guys and girls working there did their best, but they were not properly staffed for this amount of people. As long as they accept the number of guests to the hotel, they should prepare for this kind of things to happen. We told the reception afterwards, and they agreed totally, and made no excuses, which for us proved matureness, and insight. They offered us to give us the two breakfasts for free, and that's professional. The staff and the hotel itself are very good, but why not add another 10-15 Euros to the room-price, and let the breakfast and Wi-Fi be complementary? I will however recommend the hotel for a nice week-end in a beautiful town. After all the breakfast and Wi-Fi are voluntarily.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Raviolies
Dear Sir,Madam,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.
I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed the location and that you had a good overall stay. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused with the touring busses during breakfast. I will take this as a serious point for improvement and I will make sure this won’t happen again.

I would like to point out that we offer free Wi-Fi for Wyndham members which you can ask for at the reception. Membership of Wyndham by Request is free of charge.

Thank you for leaving you comment and for giving your advice about to make the breakfast and Wi-Fi complementary, reviews as these encourage us on continuously improving our service.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2012

The service and staff was very good. The views from the dinning room were great. The rooms were as advertised. I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Sir,Madam,

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the service and the location at the canals. And I am pleased to hear that the rooms did meet up to your expectations.

Thank you for leaving a remark on your stay, reviews as these encourage us on continuously improving our service.

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Great stay at the Wyndham Apollo in Amsterdam. Beautiful location at the waterfront. We had a lovely stay with very good service and excellent food at the Hotel Restaurant. Recommend to try it. The room was modern and nicely refurbished. Perfect parking facilities infront of the hotel. This hotel is a good hotel for business and leisure proposes.

3 Thank Stephanie A
Dear Stephanie,

I would like to thank you very much for sharing your good experience at Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.
I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed the location at het waterfront and that our service did meet up to your expectations.

Thank you for leaving your comment, reviews as these encourage us on continuously improving our service.

London
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Every contact with the staff at this hotel was a pleasant experience. They try very hard to satisfy and smile. I stayed in a room with a terrace on the ground floor, quite pleasant being able to walk out of the room but be faced by a 10ft wall between me and the canal. Beds are reasonably comfortable but bedding is odd with 2 single duvets on a double bed. The bathroom was mucky with mould around the bath seals and filth around the awkward corners. Breakfast at €18 was excessive at it is pretty well self service but not at all unpleasant. The bar has a delightful terrace overlooking the confluence of 5 canals. If only the bar staff would come out to serve it would have been idyllic. Easy access from this hotel into town with trams and a 30 min walk if preferred. Could be a good place to stay where it not let down by little annoying things which should be picked up.

1 Thank LondonOdysseus
Dear Sir,Madam,

Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam would like to thank you very much for taking the time to remark on your stay at.

Sorry to hear that the hotel could not meet up to your expectations. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused and I take it as a serious point for improvement. Regarding to the rooms, some have recently renovated and the rest is still in progress because we could not renovate all rooms at the same time. Hopefully in two years all rooms will be renovated.

Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We recently stayed at the Wyndham Apollo for 3 nights as part of a tour group. As someone else said, the hotel looks great from the outside. Some of our friends were given rooms with a canal view, but our room looked out on the parking lot. The room was small, carpet threadbare, and the furniture seemed to be early distressed (meaning bumps, scratches, etc.). The breakfast included for our group was good. Our group dinner at the hotel the first night was meagre, and by the time the last table was served, they had run out of vegetables.
The hotel is in a residential area of Amsterdam, so there were very few restaurants close by within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the canal.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
ApolloAmsterdam, Manager at Apollo Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Dear Madam,

I am sorry to hear that the hotel could not meet up to your expectations. Recently we have renovated some of our rooms, but unfortunately we could not renovate all rooms at the same time. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused in the restaurant and I take it as a serious point for improvement.

I look forward welcoming you again in one of our renovated rooms at Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam!

For the best available rate and best service please make your booking by phone: +31 (0)20 673 5922 or send us an e-mail: reservations.wyndhamapollo@apollohotelsresorts.com

San Francisco
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Comfortable rooms, but they are looking a bit worn and could use some renovation. The staff are incredibly nice and helpful. Breakfast is top-notch. Fitness room is small but functional. Nice location on a waterway in a fairly quiet part of the City. Very easy 10 min walk to the RAI convention center, and there are some shops and a grocery store nearby. Very easy to hop on public transport and get to the city center in about 10 mins, or can walk there in about 30 mins. The Van Gogh museum is a pleasant 15 min walk.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear Sir,Madam,

I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed the location and that the staff was friendly and prepared to help you. Unfortunately the rooms did not meet up to your expectations. Currently we are in a renovation process, which means that we could not renovate all rooms at the same time. Hopefully during the next two years all rooms will be renovated.

I look forward welcoming you again at Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam in one of the renovated rooms!