“Appalling service”

Ranked #103 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam
“Appalling service”
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I have literally never met a more unprofessional, rude or downright aggressive manager in my life, the room had a ventilation problem meaning we had a loud whistling noise in our room both nights, internal telephone system didn't work meaning it would have been easier to run down to the kitchen than order room service

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

5 Thank Russell J
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Apollo Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Your feedback is very important to us and I can assure you that we will use this information to improve our services.

I am really sorry to hear that there was an error in the ventilation system during your stay in the room. I have informed our Technical Department about the issue and they will make sure that the ventilation error is solved.
I take the comment about the attitude of the staff very serious and I can assure you that this will be discussed internally.

I hope that the city Amsterdam has fulfilled all your wants and needs and that you had a great stay in the heart of the city.

I do apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and we hope to may welcome you again in the near future at the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.

General Manager – Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Kopenhagen, Denemarken
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I had a great weekend in Amsterdam and the choice of hotel couldn't be any better than Wyndham. These guys understand what service and hospitality is! I checked in on Friday night and was offered a great suite for a very reasonable price. The facilities were outstanding, supplemented with an amazing hotelbar. I am not completely objective, as they were serving my favorite beer on draught, Heineknen ;)

Anyways, I am often in Amsterdam and I don't see any reason to not become a regular here! Guys, I'll be back!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank tiesschaap
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Apollo Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, 25 December 2012
Dear sir/madam,

The Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam would like to thank you very much for taking the time to remark on your stay.

I am happy to hear that the hotel did meet up to your expectations and that you enjoyed your overall stay. Also I am happy to hear that you enjoyed all our outlets and especially our bar.

I look forward welcoming you again at the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.

Enschede, The Netherlands
Reviewed 18 December 2012

We stayed here for a single night in Amsterdam. Friendly staff at the desk, a very reasonable room. Breakfast pricing is ridiculous (just pop out to De Bakkerswinkel a couple minutes' walk away). We got a weekend bargain deal, which made value pretty good.

Still - nothing to complain about really, so I'm a happy customer :)

1 Thank dabutcha76
Dear sir/madam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and complimenting our hotel rooms. Your feedback is very important to us and I assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests.

I am really sorry to hear from you that you experience our breakfast as expensive. From now on I can inform you that we have breakfast specials available which can save you up to €10 per day. The breakfast special can be reserved at the reception.
I am happy to hear that the hotel did meet up to your expectations and that you enjoyed your overall stay. Also I am happy to hear that you found the staff to be very friendly.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam in the near future.

Reviewed 15 December 2012

Me and the gf need to get an early flight, so decided to stay at the Apollo hotel. As it was close to trainstation. The place was verry clean and nice. Rooms where excellent. However was a but suprised about the city tax charge even after we paid in full during booking. You should really have mentioned this to us before hand. One more thing, u have a young blond reception guy that was really rude at checking in , later when I asked for bucket of ice, he was on Facebook and seemed annoyed that I was bothering him. Lucky the rest of your staff made up for his poor attitude. You bar man was verry professional and helpful

Food and bar were excellent as well, I will be staying here again and will recommend the hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Stugreen88
Dear sir/madam,

I take the comments about the attitude of the staff very seriously and have discussed this with the team.

I do apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and we hope to may welcome you again in the near future at the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam .

General Manager - Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam

I look forward welcoming you again at the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 December 2012

The Wyndham hotel was a lovely hotel the service was great the staff were very friendly and helpful. Although they did charge me over a hundred euro for services I did not avail off and I am still yet to get it back and its been over three weeks since I have been home. They are saying they have not taken any money from my bank account even though A bank statement will prove they have. Apart from this the hotel was lovely

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
ApolloAmsterdam, General Manager at Apollo Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Dear madam,

Thank you for leaving your comments regarding your recent stay at our property. Your experience at our hotel is very important to us and I can guarantee you that we will use this information to improve our services.

I understand that the error on releasing the authorization on your credit card is extreme critical. I have been informed that your father is in contact with our Accounting department and with the Front Office manager to solve this issue as soon as possible.
I really like reading your comment, that besides this issue a wonderful stay was given to you. Thank you for that.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you had after check out. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I liked how welcoming and friendly the staff we're upon arrival. (apart from the unexpected £200 deposit) but this was then explained to us. The staff we're very friendly and polite when we asked if it was okay to smoke a joint near the hotel. He sent us to a beautiful smoker-friendly area with a pond with carp and a bench very relaxing. and out of the way of any guests etc entering or leaving the hotel.
amsterdam central was around a 15-20 minute walk from the hotel if you know you're way around we seen a great amount of Amsterdam by doing this a few mornings than we would staying in a central. Or if your not a big walker a tram is 5 minutes away.
I also liked how we ran out of money on the last day and the kind it was of the fellow to give us some of our deposit back early to help us out.
Our hotel room was comfortable clean and relaxing the drinks we're expensive in the mini-bar but if your suffering amsterdam Drymouth it doesnt really matter.lol
Apart from the ridiculously expensive food and drink it was well worth the money for the accomidation.
Overall it was a great trip and i'll definetily book up here again next year.
I prefered staying here compared to the central as the walk from the hotel to the central is excellebnt along with Coffeshops, Bars Canals and great views on the way!
The wifi was a bit tricky to set up but the technical dude helped us out no problem at all.

Room Tip: Try and go for a room-upstairs with a nice view as we had a room facing the carpark.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Steveysteve420
Dear sir/madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to remark on your stay.

I am happy to hear that the hotel and city met up your expectations and that you enjoyed your overall stay.
I really liked your kind words about our staff, giving you a warm welcome - providing you information what is needed and knowing your wants and needs, is very important for delivering the right service.

I look forward welcoming you again next year at the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.

Canvey Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2012

My wife and I spent a few days in the wonderful city of Amsterdam. We stayed at this hotel on the south of the city. we had a great break partly due to this hotel. The staff were helpful, friendly and efficient. The room was very nice and very quite even though the hotel was full. This hotel is geared up for business people as the conference center is near by. The city center is a 20 minute walk away. My wife and i enjoy walking so this was no problem. We flew in to Schipoll airport there is a shuttle bus to the hotel or you can get a train,bus, tram or a taxi. We took the train to Amsterdam Zuid (south). We only had light luggage so we walked 20 mins to the hotel but again you can take other transport to get there. We had a meal in the hotel which was excellent not cheap but you would pay double in London for a similar meal and service. We had a great time a would happily stay again in this hotel and this great city. There is a load of things to see and do. If it was good enough for John and Yoko ( they had a week in bed in the Amsterdam Hilton just down the road from the Appollo) then it's good enough for us.

2 Thank David J
Dear sir/madam,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. Your experience at our hotel is very important to us.

Your kind words about the staff and the rooms are really much appreciated. It is nice to hear that the hotel met up your expectations and that you had a wonderful stay in Amsterdam.

Thank you for choosing the Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam and we are looking forward to welcome you back.