“Perfect”
Review of Mauro Mansion

Mauro Mansion
Ranked #3 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 4 March 2014

stayed for two nights in feb 2014, owners were friendly and very welcoming, nothing was too much trouble. Room was fantastic great size very comfortable bed and very nice clean modern bathroom. The breakfast was amazing and loved the pancakes and scrambled egg all cooked freshly to order. Perfect location perfect hotel and perfect owners will be returning to amsterdam and will be recommending this hotel to anyone who wants to go.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,088)

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I normally agree with reviews, and having picked this hotel based on the overwhelmingly positive responses on TripAdvisor, I was expecting something really special. When we arrived however, I was slightly disappointed, however if I hadn't had such high expectations I maybe wouldn't have been.
The location was perfect, so easy to get to and from the train station and tram stops at Amsterdam Centraal. Near the Red Light District but not too close to anything that would make it obvious, and easy to explore most of the city centre on foot from.
There were nice touches in the hotel, chocolates on the pillows, free welcome drinks in the minibar (Bottles of prosecco, beers, orange juice), the honesty bar and dvd collection.
Breakfast was lovely, cereals, meats, cheese, fresh bread, fruit etc. It was free when we visited but I believe there is now a small charge.
Our room was nice, however while I was not expecting luxury, I noticed that the walls and skirting boards were quite scuffed and marked. This is obviously an old building but a lick of paint around these areas have made it look a lot better and the chair in the room could have been replaced, it seemed fairly tatty. The bedside table was also thick with dust.
The bathroom was very clean however and the jacuzzi bath was nice, I'm not sure if there is one in all rooms though.
Another thing that had seemed to divide reviewers on here was the attitude of the owners. While they were not at all rude, they seemed quite withdrawn and only really spoke when asked a question. We passed them quite frequently and they never once asked us anything about our day, how we were enjoying it etc. When we checked out I was just told the total and handed the credit card machine. They never asked if we had enjoyed our stay, which I thought was odd. I'm sure an overbearing owner would possibly have been worse, but one of the reasons I had picked this hotel was that it seemed like a small, friendly hotel as opposed to the big chain hotels where you might get a luxury room, but no personal service.
Also, when we left the room mid morning/early afternoon I left the radiator on deliberately, as it was February and freezing, but when we returned it had been turned off and the room was cold and took a while to heat up again.
Despite this, I would recommend this hotel, mainly for its location but also the nice extra touches such as the free minibar. I think this hotel has the potential to be great with a bit of money and effort from the owners but for me this time it just didn't quite hit the mark.

Room Tip: We stayed in a courtyard room as there wasn't another choice when we booked but one facing the c...
12  Thank Mona275
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed here for valentines day with the hubby and we had a great time. Arrive 9:30pm and were treated by the helpful and friendly Abbey.

Loved the old building from the steep stairs to the cage in my room! Much preferred to staying in some faceless chain. The hotel is spotlessly clean even up to my standard of OCD. Welcome drinks of processco, beer and orange free of charge in fridge. With a flower and chocolate heart for valentines were nice touches. Owners emailed me and asked if I wanted to book a restaurant for valentines. They recommended and sorted the booking for me.

Breakfast was good with fresh scrambled eggs and the location is excellent near to the station, quiet but couple of minutes walk from the action.

Excellent customer service. Note if you can't walk up steep stairs you might want to consider another option as there is no lift due to the age of the building.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Had a weekend in Feb 2014, and stayed here. Owners friendly and helpful. Breakfast delicious. Would recommend the pancakes. and the scrambled eggs and fruit salad...all of it. Fresh bread and all local products, high standard.
Great location, lots of little bruin cafes which we love nearby. Felt safe no trouble seen and we were in the red light district.
Easy to walk to everywhere. Cocktails at the Skylounge nearby were enjoyable, good views. Went to Cafe Chris and Cafe Smalle, recommend both.
Did the canal cruise which was ok, worth doing but not that special.
Easy to get to from the airport, hotel walking directions, perfect.

1  Thank Suzetim
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Hotel is a 2-5 minute walk from the train station. I can't see someone taking more than 5 min to get to the Mauro Mansion. Although it is in the center of all the attractions, it is on the outer block facing away from the streets filled with party animals so we had no problem with noisy crowds. Hotel was very nice and clean. The room was huge and the bed was very comfortable. My wife and I loved the heated tiles in the bathroom. Marcel and Berry will help take your luggage to your room and they were very helpful with all our questions. We had a couple of hours to spare after we checked out and they held our luggage for us while we walked around. We are so happy we chose to stay here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank freddiemv2
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My wife and I just spent a few nights in Amsterdam. Loved the city and felt Mauro fitted the unique nature of Amsterdam perfectly. There is a few stairs to climb to your room but Marcel was more than obliging with the luggage, and we don't travel light. Breakfast room was great. Berry, the manager, I think, was very helpful with tips on restaurants and other stuff. It goes without saying, but a bike is a must and Berry will steer you toward a less touristy hire shop, to help you blend in a little. Perfect location.

Room Tip: Not sure how you do it, but a room overlooking the canal would be great. Ours didn't, but we spe...
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Mauro absolutely deserves number one place on a Trip Advisor. Located just 10 minutes walk from Central Station and about 5 minutes away from hustle n bustle of Amsterdam's main attractions. That's just the right distance for walking, yet provides a quieter space away from the loud bars and busier areas. Perfect location. You do hear a little street noise during the night, but that is surely to be expected from a city centre hotel.
We arrived around 11 on Monday and were able to get straight into our room. Marcel checked us in and showed us to our canal view room. Marcel, Berry and Abbey were about during the day to assist and were chatty but not intrusive at all. There is a mobile phone to contact them during the night if you need their help (they live on the upper floor)
In the room we were welcomed with complimentary snacks and drink in the fridge, tea/coffee facilities, TV/DVD player (DVDs available to borrow from downstairs). Room like rest of hotel, in that it is fun, quirky and functional. Bath and shower are amazing. Lovely to be abroad and have large living space with bath and shower. Bed extremely comfortable!
Honesty bar downstairs is excellent, as is use of iMac and iPad if needed. Wifi is provided free of charge.
Breakfast is lovely with large range of food and drink. Berry even offered extras (pancakes, eggs, fruit) All delicious! We will definitely be returning.

2  Thank Paulos_C_23