“Fine pub even if in the middle of tourist country”
Review of Hoopman Irish Pub

Hoopman Irish Pub
Ranked #986 of 4,003 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Description: Finding an Irish pub in the centre of Amsterdam as true as Hoopman is a difficult task. Hoopman offers a broad selection of Irish whiskeys, stouts and draughts. As well as Irish drinks, Hoopman offers a great selection of pub grub. Above all our Irish staff will always give you a feeling like you are at home. Hoopman is situated on Het Leidseplein in the bustling centre of Amsterdam where you will find that Hoopman serves as a warm and cosy haven from the busy streets. In the winter you can take shelter for a warm drink inside and in the summer you can refresh yourself with a cool drink on our terrace. Hoopman organizes a ton of events over the year. We always show all main sport events on our screen, from the 6 nations' rugby to the Champions league's soccer. Saint Patrick's Day is celebrated every year with a big party where we have Irish dancers to perform traditional dances throughout the evening. Hoopman is always decorated for special days, on Halloween everything is covered in webs and for Christmas we are covered in lights and surrounded by Christmas trees. Hoopman is sure to give you a good feeling: whether you are Irish or not, our staff will certainly give you a warm Irish welcome to Amsterdam!
Reviewed 29 July 2013

A pub with effectively three different bars - from the sports screen busy Bar through to old 'brown bar' to read the paper and sup a pint

There are newer reviews for Hoopman Irish Pub

Reviewed 26 July 2013

When trying to pay with my CC was told that the machine doesn't work with cards without chip. It happens that it's not true! The machines have an option to swipe he card.. But when I requested that the attitude Ingot back was not of someone inteligent and wants to learn. No, it was of someone that yells and thinks that knows everything. I am glad we don't have to tip! There are many other and better places with friendly attendants! Run Away if you can!

Reviewed 22 July 2013

You probably would not go to Amsterdam just to eat here but if you are in the city and happen to be in the neighborhood this is definitely a pleasant stop. Friendly staff, great seats to watch the world go by and hearty food. Reasonable prices.

The two of us shared the Leidseplein (29 euro) which is a monumental three-layer castle replenished with ribs, chicken legs, chips and doritos. It's actually more than enough for four people.

The selection of beers could be better, after all it is a pub, I would have liked a wider choice. All staff speak perfect English.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

The Pub is located in a busy square with numerous other bars and restaurants lining the streets. In the middle of the square is patio seating, because the inside gets packed extremely early. I visit Hoopmans every time I am in Amsterdam (which is frequently). I never order food, because I have a rule pubs are for drinking and restaurants are for eating. The most recent time I stopped by for a pint I found room at the bar around 8 pm on a Saturday night. Some football game was playing, but I wasn't paying attention. My colleagues and I had a few pints of Guiness and I tried the Le Chaufee, because it was a wheat style beer. We tried some of the whiskey's which were in good selection (better than most bars with only Jack Daniels as their only choice). The bartenders were gruff at first, but once we had more than one drink and started chatting they were personable and overall it was a pretty good time. I will be stopping by the next time I visit Amsterdam.

Reviewed 18 April 2013

We went into the Hoopman one afternoon hungry and looked forward to having some good Irish standard food abroad. Little did we know what lay ahead. Most tables were full and menu had looked good enough outside. After we sat down, we had to wait 20 minutes for someone to come and take our order, even though there were 2 waitresses on the go. On the menu, there was one dish called 'Chicken dinner'. When we asked the waitress what exactly this dish was, she didn't know as it was her first day working there. We asked her if it was roast chicken and so she went off to ask in the kitchen. She came back and said yes it was. With that my friend ordered the roast chicken dinner, but asked for chips/fries instead of potato and no gravy. Then the waitress informed us that there were no substitutions on the meals. If she wanted the fries, she would have to pay for them as an extra portion. Reluctantly she agreed and she asked them not to bother putting the potato on the plate. I ordered the cottage pie. While we waited for the food, we took a drink of our draft Magners and much to our disappointment, it was flat. It had no bubbles whatsoever. When the food came out, the cottage pie looked okay, but had plenty of cheese on the top. My friend's dish was far from roast chicken. It was grilled chicken, with ham and cheese on top of it. The chips came out separately a minute later. My friend then told the waitress she couldn't eat her dish as it wasn't what she ordered. She doesn't eat bacon or cheese, especially on top of 'roast' chicken. She took the dish away and it returned a minute later, to our horror, with the same piece of chicken on the dish, with bacon and cheese scraped off and turned upside down. She tried a few of the chips but they were very greasy. The cottage pie was edible, just about and had too much cheap cheese on the top. So my friend complained about her dish and we waited for a response. I stopped eating my pie a quarter of the way in. The lady in charge came out and asked what the problem was. My friend explained her faults with the food and she also mentioned that there was a fly in her pint of Magners. After trying to defend her food, and her chips 'that I cooked myself with clean oil' she launched into me. 'And what was wrong with yours?'. I had just been sitting there quietly, but had stopped eating. So I explained that it was a bit plain and too cheesy. So she started shouting and she ranted on about how everyone that orders it always eats it all up and that we weren't eating in a restaurant (obviously!). We just said the food wasn't good enough and then she stormed off. So much for the customer being always right! We asked the waitress for the bill and couldn't wait to get out of there. At least they didn't have the cheek to charge for my friends meal, just her drink. I had to pay for mine as I had eaten some of it. We left promptly leaving the flat cider (and one with a dead fly in it) and an almost full meal behind. This bar has put all Irish pubs abroad to shame!

1  Thank Ann Marie F