“Very nice and cozy hotel”

Conscious Hotel Vondelpark
Ranked #82 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersGold level
“Very nice and cozy hotel”
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I spent 5 days there and it was awesome!i went with my girlfriend and we had a great time!The hotel is brand new!the rooms are clean but they could be a little more spacious!Comfortable beds,wifi free for every customer!A minor disadvantage is that there was no refrigerator!Great environment though and great people working there!Conscious hotel is one of my favorites!Good job guys!

• Stayed February 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2011

First i'll start with a positive. The rooms look as they do on the website and place is stylish - quite trendy if that floats your boat. However if you sctratch under the surface in my opinion its a little style over sustance. There are some lovely staff there in particular the female staff who seemed warm and genuinely welcoming.

The one thing that massively let this place down was a male member of staff who seemed like he wanted to be elsewhere and unfortunately he left a final and lasting impression on the hotel. He seemed to work during the night (maybe that was his problem). The bar is open until 2pm which is great. However being served by someone eating a sandwich whilst chatting to another member of his team is not so great. I felt like an inconvenience. Also this person needs to take note of the following - when a customer books a shuttlebus to the airport its not because its highly necessary. Our shuttlebus that was booked did not turn up so we were a little worried about making our flight. He just shrugged his shoulders and said 'sometimes they don't show up' - NOT GOOD ENOUGH. He was not bothered at all and then asked if i wanted him to call the shuttlebus company up and order another life to the airport. Ludicrous question. OF COURSE we did as we wanted to catch our flight home. I felt like asking him if he wanted me to call them!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tom906
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Please do yourself a favor and stay here! My boyfriend and I had the most amazing stay here. The rooms are exactly as the pictures. Most places don't look like the pictures seen on their websites but this place looks exactly like it. It's clean, location is perfect, modern, and super environmentally friendly.

I wish I had stayed here longer. If we go back to Amsterdam, we'll definitely stay here.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kimjin14
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We have just come back from a three night stay in Amsterdam - 4th Nov 11. Weather was cold but we enjoyed the city, museums, good food and lovely views and canals. The worst of our stay was the Conscious hotel. Although we picked it given the concept it promotes and we felt for the atmosphere of the hall as we came in, the room we were given, on the fifth floor, was something of an experience. As we opened the door when we first arrived, we felt we were stepping into a fridge. We communicated this to reception and they told us to switch on the heating (by one window, the room had two). We did this when we came back in the evening. The temperature of the room did not change, and I had to wear jumpers and gloves as well as the extra blankets we are provided with in the room. In the middle of the night, a cold head woke me up. When we complained the next morning, we were told that there were some problems with the central air system, but that they were looking into it. The freezing air we were getting through a small respirator close to the ceiling in the room. Second night we had to ask for extra blankets, room remained at same temperature, despite the heating being max, but the air respirator kept exhaling the freezing air. As a joke, we were advised to wear woolly hats during the night. Well, we had to as there was nothing we could do to block the respirator. We complained once again, but we were offered no solution and had to endure a third night in the cold. For the money it costs, they could have at least tried to do something about it, offered to change rooms or compensate us somehow. I ended up with a cold! And felt colder inside than out! And those who talked about the pizza place next door! My gosh! Twice they turned us around because they would not even bothered in taking customers in such a rude manner!! But we found a lovely Ethiopian restaurant not far from this hotel, called Abyssinia, that was much more worthwhile! They provided the best meal of our trip!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ld_arocha
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Great place and truly environment conscious. Stayed in standard rooms and the experience overall was good. Service was also great and it is just around 15-20 mins tram ride from the main train station. The tram actually stops right in front of the hotel so very convenient to travel around

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I stayed at the Conscious Hotel Vondelpark for some relatively extended periods during August and September of this year. Almost 7 weeks in total.

That's a long time, if something is irking you after a few days, you can guarantee you'll want to smash it after a few weeks. I felt no such urges.

During this time, I moved around a few of the rooms, usually down to availability (point of note there, avoid the broadcasting seminar in August, Amsterdam sells out, even with rooms at triple rate), so tried out deluxe as well as standard rooms.

If I'm honest, I wouldn't bother with the luxury rooms, unless you're partial to bathing (they have a bath and much bigger bathrooms) or need to dock your ipad/iphone constantly.

So, my humble...

Downsides? well, yes, I guess trekking to tower B was a bit of a pain, but only a minor twinge in the buttock rather than an utter bum ache.

Yes, the rooms can be quite small, which can make things a bit tight with a big suitcase (but I still managed that and a Brompton folding bicycle) and yes, my god, the bathroom lighting is harsh, I was quite relieved upon my return to Berlin that I didn't look THAT bad.

I suppose you could see the location as less than central, but personally, I'd rather be away from the Liedseplein and much closer to Vondelpark, which is truly beautiful. The tram is actually pretty quick, or you can walk into the centre in 20 mins, or even better, get a bike!

More upsides, well firstly the staff, I think sometimes it's easy to misunderstand different cultures as rude, when in fact, they're just a little more efficient with their language than the English. I’m still learning to deal with this in Berlin.

That said, I didn't find the staff at Vondelpark brusque at all. On every occasion they were very helpful, very well natured and quite willing to share some fun with you. On the occasions I was staring down the possibility of sofa surfing they did everything they could to find me rooms at good rates (I was on a budget, as my company, is well... 'me' so it comes out of my pocket).

I found the rooms very clean, simple, stylish and exactly as described. Everything you need, but nothing else. No coffee making facilities, no small bottles of shower gel, no massive TV, then they never promised me these. I got all I was looking for, a clean, modern room, a comfortable bed and the Beeb.

Any problems I had (an overflowing shower tray at one point) were dealt with quickly and efficiently.

All-in-all my stay was very pleasant, I would definitely stay there again, in fact I look forward to it! I miss being greeted personally... and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.

BTW - I’d also recommend 'De Pizzabakkers' next door, some of the best pizza I’ve ever had, better than Rome and Naples in my humble. So good in fact, that by the end of my stay, it wasn't just the hotel that was greeting me personally...

Room Tip: Tower B is much quieter (A is on Overtoom), but does involve a bit more of a walk. Personally, I opt...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Andy H
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2011

We stayed here for five nights in October 2011, It has been over 25 years since I had been to Amsterdam and boy has it changed. No, not the architecture but the vibe of the place - too many people, too many bikes, dirty with no respite from the relentless 'tourist experience' - but that's all another story.
We had clear instruction to get the No 1 tram and this worked very well. Quite a fun and frantic ride and it dropped us right outside the hotel. We were in the rear 'B' block which was quiet and relativly peaceful. Quite a trek to our room No 220 on the first floor - everytime my partner was drawn down a different corridor but I have a better sense of direction so we didn't get lost!
The room was small - there really isn't anyway to dress that up! We did like it though. The bed was very comfortable - memory foam, which I had never slept on before but we both agreed it was great. Not quite enough surfaces to put your stuff but one manages, the trendy little upsidedown hanging plant was cool but it did leave a tiny, sticky puddle on the chair underneath it - good job we didn't leave a clean white shirt on the chair!
It was quite a warm spell and it was frustrating we couldn't open the window fully - just a small ventilation gap - other windows looked as if they were open fully - but not ours.
The tiny shower room looked stylish but had it's own problems - the shower absolutly soaked the floor due to the open nature of the tray, very little space to put stuff and pretty hash lighting when using the mirror but, as I said, looked fab - form over function, depends what you look for in life.
The green and recycled credentials I found slightly bogus - we are into that at home so it's not that we don't care - it just felt a little patronising but really it's a sensible and profitable way to run a hotel. The extractor fan in the shower room was on constantly when the card key was in the slot, the wash basin took too much water to fill, the dual flush on the WC was 'quirky'.
Don't get me wrong, we did like the hotel but, like nearly every hotel we have ever stayed at, they are experts in self promotion and promise so much and deliver a very average experience.

We didn't have breakfast - too expensive for what they were offering, we took our mini kettle and bought bakery items and had a jolly little breakfast for very little money in our room. The lobby seating area was not a big draw for us although we did like the 'green, living wall'. Reception staff were rather cold but efficient - we had nothing to do with them really but if we had a problem I guess they would have delt with it. Our soap and shower gel both ran out and they had to be told as cleaners didn't replace them - basic stuff I would have thought but going back to all the hype they make about themselves....

I wouldn't stay here again, not because it was dreadful but I've had the experience of the Concious Hotel and if I went again I would want to be nearer to the city. The tram was essential to get around but the novelty did wear off. It wasn't really very feasible to go back to the hotel throughout the day. We are in our 50's and are by no means lacking in energy but Amsterdam is exhausting and there is nowhere to step aside from the buzz and chill for half an hour - public seating is minimal. A hotel on one of the canal streets would have meant we could have popped back for a couple of hours before going out again. We were leaving our hotel at about 11am and getting back at about 9pm - that's a long day in a fast moving city.

Hope this helps you with your trip to Amsterdam - have a great time, it is a place to experience at least once!

Room Tip: 'B' block is quieter than the hotel on the main road that you see in the hotel photo.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple