“Unusual place”

GreenLeadersGold level
Barcelona, Spain
“Unusual place”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

When we arrived I saw several airplanes flying very low close to the hotel so I though our stay would be a disaster due to the noise. I was wrong. The staff on reception told me this was unusual, and accepted not to charge me the total stay in case I wanted to cancel the rest of the booked nights, this was very kind and no other hotel usually accepts it. The soundproof was good and the airplanes didn't pass too many times anymore.
The overall impression about the hotel is strange, they advertise a bit too much about their "green" policy, but It think this is not the most important part for most travelers.
The location is excellent, right in front of a Tram stop. The rooms are not big but not too small, with comfortable beds and basic furniture (a table, two chairs and two bedtables), I would have needed a desk, as it was advertised in the premium room I booked, but there wasn't. Rooms and common places are clean and the bathroom, with just a shower, was big enough and clean. The overall decoration of the hotel is too dark, all the corridors painted in black and the rooms in white, not practical, as the paint is already spoilt and full of stains in most areas.
The staff is really friendly, attentive, very helpfull, with no exception, it was a pleasure to talk to them and the best of the hotel.
It was unusual that we could have a coffe and some sweets instead of the standard breakfast, as the bar-cafeteria was open 24 hours. This was very good for people who breakfast very little and paying the whole continental breakfast is not worth it. This is the first hotel that offers this alternative, most places I have visited they force you to their breakfast--as the bar is closed till they finish--or you have to go out and look for a cafeteria. The bar, however doesn't have too many choices, but the quality is good.
Other guests complain about the way to communicate both buildings, but it is well indicated and sort of fun to go through all the corridors and lift till our room, not a problem at all.
The parking was good but not enugh watched; maybe in Holland the rate of crime is low, but comming from Spain we were a bit concerned about the security of our car, when the parking door was remaining open for very long.
I think the hotel can improve substancially by changing the color of the walls, I am a doctor in Psychology and I know the strong incluence of this detail.The TV is also a bit small in comparison with most hotels nowadays.
In general our stay was quite pleasant and we would go back again if we travel to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Windows are good and quite soundproof, but we were in the second building at the back, I am not sure...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MARTHA91256

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Lincolnshire
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Nice affordable hotel with pleasent staff. Wonderful location for the main park (Vondelpark) aspecially when the weather is kind to you. The trams are 10 years from the hotel entrance. Be sure to listen carefully when they advise the route to the room as it can be challenging if you have a room in what the hotel term B block!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 28 July 2012

You'll be surprised with this hotel. This is the proof that we can have the same comfort spending less natural resources. Very nice and relaxed staff. Tasty breakfast, with all you need. The bed itself is WOW! Very very confy! The decoration is minimalist, very clean. The bathroom is somewhat tech, because it spends much less water than a regular one. A little bit "out" of downtown, but you'll find IN THE VERY FRONT of the hotel a tramway station. Volndelpark is by walking distance. Finally, price quality ratio is very nice!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Amsterdam
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I enjoyed my stay in the Conscious hotel. The staff was friendly. The bike rental is a good service and the location close to the Vondelpark. is perfect. Breakfast is simple.
Gluten-free is only at request available. The rooms are clean, and very noiseless for a hotel in the middle of Amsterdam.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I stayed at the Conscious Hotel Vondelpark two weeks ago. I have to tell that overall my stay was really pleasant. The hotel is urban, cozy and eco-friendly. The breakfast was great. Really liked the organic foods. And the bar had some drinks too. The rooms were nice and clean. Also there was a tram stop right in front of the door and it takes only few minutes to get to the city. I was also impressed how easy it was to get to the hotel from the airport. Definitely a great place to stay during your visit to Amsterdam.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank terohelsinki
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Service at the desk was super friendly and relaxed, we felt welcome right away. The room was good, and had very funny explanations of the different eco-friendly elements. The breakfast was fantastic. The hotel is right next to the Vondelpark, which makes it quiet and allows for a nice stroll towards the Leidseplein. There is also a tram stop right in front of the hotel if you are a bit more lazy or in a hurry.

We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Let me share a review with a hint of mathematical analogy. Our experience with this hotel was sort of a Sine curve. You know the curve which cycles between positive and negative. We witnessed somewhat of a sine curve in our stay at this hotel as well.

I had used Booking.com to book a non-refundable premium Double Bed room. On arriving at the hotel, we were attended by a very brash receptionist. His body language, his tone and whatever he mustered to say in English, was so not welcoming. We gave him a benefit of doubt, as communicating with customers in other language does come with its challenges.

We are assigned a room, and the moment we enter, there's utter shock. a) the 'premium' bed room turned out to be an over-promised farce b)The double bedroom had mattresses joined as if twin bedroom had been forcibly represented for double bedroom. Something felt quite odd about it. I rushed back to the reception to understand where the change had come from, as the original & pre-paid in full booking was for double bedroom.

To my utter shock, the same Mr. Smarty-pants (can't really state his name here) receptionist gives me an a bit unnerving explanation "Sometimes it is not possible for us to give you the exact room you had booked". My immediate reaction was “then why did you take the money from me upfront? Does that not qualify for holding a contract (in literal terms)”. Losing his ground in the argument, he then claims "Let me see how I can help you". By this time I knew I was dealing with a buffoon, who made it appear as if he was doing a real big favour to me. I got my room changed and prayed that the stay goes better from here on. Well that was prime memory I have from the stay, which had it's highs and lows. Here's my summary for that :

Pluses:
• Stupendous Decor,
• Superb location & accessibility. Although a bit separated from may tourist location hustle bustle, but proximity to Vondelpark and the tram station totally cover up for it.
• Lavish Bathroom, and
• Good facilities such as the bar with nice Jazz Music
• Two thumbs up for the concept of the hotel

Minuses:
• Half the staff seemed to be quite edgy most of the time(for some reason the other half was really courteous and gentle, not sure which half is more prominent)
• The breakfast served is one of the worst-value-for-money meals I've ever had in hotels. Please stay away from it.
• Hallways are badly lit and a significant number of rooms are located in a building separated by an eerie glass wall corridor
• Don't expect typical stuff like Tea/Coffee in the room, they don't believe in such stuff. Forget Tea or coffee, there aren't glasses for water in the room. I mean that's going too far on the environment saving spree.
• Lastly, I didn't really try it, but something felt awkward about one of the notes I saw in the elevator. There's a fitness centre next door to the hotel. Which I believe sells a month long membership for 39.95EUR, But the planners from hotel felt that milking 20EUR a day from the staying customers would be an amusing idea.

Dos & Don'ts
• Do laze around in the lounge at entrance
• Do consider out some innovative products placed opposite to the reception
• Don't waste your money on the breakfast, unless you view it as a buffet with selected misfits

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family