“Very impressed !!”

Conscious Hotel Vondelpark
Ranked #80 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Loved it.. the hotel is eco to the core. Everything is recyclable and ecological. The ambience in the lounge is very cordial and warm. The rooms are just about the right size. Very smart trendy quotes all over the room. Room service is also very prompt. The hotel also has its own coffee shop cum lounge. They serve awesome doubke espresso with shortbread. The buffet breakfast seemed a little too steep at 13.50 euros. If you take a tram to the Leidespelein area which is the city center, you have lots of options to have your breakfast from.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Saty G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,322)

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Lovely looking hotel with handy tram stop next to the entrance (tram 1 to central) and a few meters to the beautiful Vondelpark. Our overall impression of the customer service was that we found the staff were quite short with us and we're sad to say not very friendly. Apart from a young man that helped us rent some bikes, Not very passionate about the service however on arrival we were told we had been upgraded the "best" room with a balcony on the top floor - the room, well decorated and amazing views, we did find it a bit small though, especially the bathroom, and we wondered if it was really the best room! There is a constant fan noise and could be very annoying during the evening and night times, Luckily we slept well from all of our trekking around Amsterdam! Nice touches with decoration but disappointed we couldn't make a cup of tea when we woke in the mornings! I suppose this is because of the green theme but definitely something I like to have. The bed was huge and comfortable enough and the room was warmed by the radiator. Very impressed with the cleanliness of the whole place and our bed was made everyday as well as having fresh towels daily. I would of liked a bath but this is a personal preference and I would of expected one in the "best" room. It may sound like I wasn't very happy with the hotel - we were, but I would not be giving a fair review if I just said it was great. It's a good base camp for an Amsterdam adventure. Aesthetically very stylish and well made out. We would of just liked a few smiles!! :)

Room Tip: request a balcony and top floor!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hannah C
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Stayed here in November for two nights. The location is a little out of the city but easily accessible via tram. The room was clean enough, the bathroom was huge. Bedroom a little small I thought but this may be the norm for Amsterdam. Room was very cold though and the air con in the place didn't seem to work. Bit of a trek to the room. Up a lift, walk through a corridor then up another life. Bit of a pain if you have lots of luggage. Got a great room rate though so a 4/5 for me. Staff were also helpful enough.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights. Our room was not as nice as the pictures depicted. However it was very cIean, spacious, and quiet.
All in all, it was a nice place to relax after a busy day. I would reccomend this hotel if you don't mind riding the tram or a bicycle since it is not located near the main attractions.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Double room and bathroom were perfect, very clean. Staff were nice, friendly and helpful.
Short tram ride away from the city but that didn't matter. I think it was about 12 euroes for a 48 hour tram pass and it took about 15 minutes to get to Central Station.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Every little detail is taken care of: warm, friendly staff at reception, organic food at a fab breakfast buffet, cosy rooms and little touches like refillable bottles of eco-friendly toiletries.
The rooms are well-appointed, with everything you will need but none of the wasteful little 'add-on's that you will find at chain hotels: over packaged things like shower caps that increase your carbon footprint just by checking in!
The 'conscious' part is underlined throughout, but with cheery, funny notices that keep it from becoming too righteous. I particularly love the green wall in the cosy lobby, and love that they have made a window seat to relax in.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank QuiteTheNomad
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I chose this hotel from among many available options because of its location and their philosophy regarding conservation of resources.

Let me quickly note that I would gladly stay here again. I will, however, provide some details that may help other travelers who choose this hotel.

Right away I'll state that the hotel's staff was great. Everyone I encountered was engaging, welcoming, pleasant, informed and service oriented. My thanks to all, especially Gent, Oliver and Nikka (the only names I know) and also to the Housekeeping Supervisor, whose name I don't know but who spoke lovingly about "the magic of Amsterdam" in an impromptu conversation in the corridor between the "A" and "B" Towers.

Some other reviewers have noted the odd and somewhat awkward location of the "B" Tower rooms, where I stayed. Yes, it's a bit involved to start in the "A" Tower (location of the hotel's entrance, lobby/lounge, Reception, and breakfast room) go up one flight, walk along a corridor to the "B" Tower and then navigate to one's room among four floors, but it didn't bother me as I typically made that trek only once or twice each day.

My first stay (night of 1st December) was in room 428, which I found peaceful and quiet with its location at the end of the main hall on the fourth floor of "B" Tower. I'm not a fan of the hotel's "COCO-MAT" mattresses, which were bowed in a concave fashion, but that's a subjective issue and the bed wasn't truly uncomfortable; it just didn't provide the firm support to which I'm accustomed.

My second stay of four nights (6th-10th December) was in room 423, which was laid out differently and which seemed a bit smaller than room 428 but that didn't really matter to me. What did matter, however, was the noise I could hear from adjacent rooms especially the opening/closing of doors. The entire floor has acoustics that ring "hollow" with metal doors and locking mechanisms and walls that seemed 'metallic' in their quality. Sound readily transmitted from adjacent rooms and/or the hallway to my room. That quality was especially apparent with the family occupying the two rooms adjacent to mine with doors opening/closing frequently as they went between their rooms at night and in the mornings. Did I sleep? Yes, I slept but not without some rather jarring moments (the sound of doors opening/closing and other room-to-room sounds). It was very different from my stay in room 428.

Returning to the positive aspects of this property, I loved its location. It worked perfectly for my needs and the convenience of Tram line 1 literally in front of the hotel was a huge benefit to me. Tram line 1 will take you to/from Amsterdam Lelylaan rail station (three stops from the hotel), which is only one stop from Schiphol airport. No need to go the extra distance to/from Amsterdam Centraal station when traveling between the airport and the hotel.

The surrounding neighborhood boasts a number of cafes, restaurants, pubs and an Albert Heijn supermarket within easy walking distance (or short tram ride) and the serene beauty of Vondelpark is but a couple of blocks away.

I enjoyed the breakfast buffet, which was sufficient and satisfying at 13.50 Euros and the gentlemen serving the area were always very cheerful and accommodating. I also enjoyed the wine selection offered in the lobby lounge. They offer only a few choices but the wines were of good quality and the price was very reasonable; it was a good way to unwind after a busy day of exploring.

Other reviewers have been a bit bothered by the signs extolling the conservationist approach throughout their rooms, but they're just signs and I appreciate the hotel's commitment to sustainable practices, none of which impacted my ability to enjoy my stay. I think it's fair for the hotel to call out their efforts.

Overall I would gladly return to the Conscious Hotel - Vondelpark and I hope to do so.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo