“Second stay (with work this time)”

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
Ranked #16 of 365 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“Second stay (with work this time)”
Reviewed 14 October 2011

just as good, I love the lush bathroom and oh so comfy beds.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
SofitelAmsterdamTGA, Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
Dear Guest, First of all, we would like to thank you for posting your feedback about your stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. We are honoured to read that you enjoyed your bathroom and the Sofitel My|Bed so much during your business trip to Amsterdam. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam soon. Yours, The Hotel Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2011

This is a truly great hotel. The decor is really cool, the beds are superbly comfortable, the bathrooms excellent, the food is wonderful. But what makes a great hotel is the staff. I've stayed here twice this year. The first time I was really busy with work and was working at the business centre even after I'd checked out. One of the staff noticed that I'd been beavering away at my laptop for quite a long and asked whether she could bring me a drink. She then brought me a beautiful pot of tea (and I do mean the teapot was very beautiful, but it was also a very touching gesture). When I returned more recently, the person checking me in mentioned that on the previous visit I'd had a problem with room service (it was simply that because I was working I wanted to have dinner in my room and there did not seem to be a room service menu in the room, when I rang room service, one was delivered to my room very promptly) and that problem had been addressed and there were now room service menus in the room. That is really impressive service and excellent follow up by the staff. As much as I love Amsterdam, I will return simply to stay at the Grand.

Room Tip: The junior suite I had was wonderful, with a walk through shower.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Intrepid75
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 8 October 2011

very nice hotel near the canals of amsterdam. nice historic building. great servise and great rooms with comforteble beds . good breakfast

Room Tip: ask for a junior suite
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Booked room type (deluxe king) not available "due to construction" but only found out when we got to the room. Large cobweb in the room and stained grouting in shower area. Room service order delivered incorrectly. 7am alarm call received, waking us up, which we'd not requested!

The hotel is in a very good location but so are many less expensive ones!

Sofitel are off my list - this is meant to be one of their best and it's really not that good.

• Stayed October 2011
SofitelAmsterdamTGA, Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, 7 October 2011
Dear valued guest, thank you very much for your constructive feedback. We regret to learn that we did not meet your expectations. Allow us to elaborate on a maintenance incident that instantly needed reparation, hence that section of the corridor was unavailable for the comfort of our guests. We are delighted that we were able to reinstate your confidence in Sofitel and The Grand in person and looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Yours sincerely, The Hotel Management.
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Lets start with what I liked:

-very nice decor and atmosphere.
-very nice breakfast
-very good concierge service
-on average nice and friendly staff
-rent of bikes and motorcycles on site
-the cosy atmosphere of the pool
-the fact that the managerial staff came twice gently to apologize about the bed issue

What I disliked:
-size of the double beds in superior rooms, 1.40M is a SCANDAL for a 5 stars hotel!!!
-when mentioning the bed problem to the check-in counter the fact they lied to me and claimed there were no bigger beds in that category.... funny to see later the room of a friend with a normal king size bed!
-not enough machines in the gym
-I had to wait 10min in the breakfast room before somebody finally took care of us, took another 5 minutes for our table to be cleaned and setup.
-the fact that the Sofitel site, who claimed they have the lowest rate and/or to adapt, even grant a reduction of 10% if a lower rate is found with same conditions, refused to do so, although I've send them all the proofs/documents!?

Would I go back there!? I believe I would, should I manage to get a good deal, as I really liked the decor, and the atmosphere but not without the assurance they give me a room with a normal bed!

Room Tip: Request a room with a kingsize bed if you do not want to have a tiny little queen size bed!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear valued guest, thank you very much for your constructive feedback.
We deeply appreciate your positive comments, but also take very seriously the entire experience you have described. We are pleased that we were able to discuss your stay in person. And most of all, we are delighted that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again to restore your confidence. Yours sincerely, The Hotel Management.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 October 2011

New Hotel in Amsterdam. Average for 5 star. Building is excellent , but the light fittings are coming adift in the bathrooms. Accor Platnimum but they didn't register this despite being told 3 times until after I left. Casual rather than arrogant but not what you would expect. Not very proactive. the Asian equivalent would be where they should learn from. medium sized room €100 too much given the weaknesses..No excuse for them given the price.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Dear valued guest,
First of all we would like to thank you for your constructive feedback. We deeply regret that we did not live up to our five star promises, certainly because of your loyalty to the Accor Group. Please do not hesitate to contact us by email or telephone at your convenience, so we can allocate your A|Club points. We appreciate it that you shared your concerns with us, and it is our genuine hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
Yours sincerely, The Hotel Management.
Malibu, California
Reviewed 28 September 2011

This hotel exceeds the beauty of the canals of Amsterdam and its own historical building with its superb staff.

We have traveled extensively throughout the world staying in many 5 star hotels, and have had the "butler" experience before: the guy who shows up in tails to shake your hand who you rarely see again. This hotel's butler service is honestly a butler service. We had as our butlers Bart and Luis. They were extremely helpful in terms of sharing their knowledge of the city, making reservations, assuring that your room was to your satistaction, noting your individual likes and dislikes, even down to personally delivering your room service order, inquiring if your would like them to pack or unpack your bags, etc. Bottom line, their service was so exquisite, you hated to leave the hotel.

The hotel itself is beautifully appointed and very conveniently located. They are right on one of the canals. Walk in one direction and you have great pubs or cafes as they called them. Walk in the other and you get a first hand look at the red light district.

Their breakfast is not to be missed and do not leave without eating their waffles. These are not your normal fabulous waffle. These are small pieces of indescribable heaven on your plate.

We were on day one of our stay and already planning when we could return. You will feel at home and welcome in the beauty that is the Sofitel The Grand Amsterdam.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
SofitelAmsterdamTGA, Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, 4 October 2011
Dear Guest, First of all, may we thank you for sharing your views with us. At Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam your feedback is of utmost importance to us. We are honored to read that you enjoyed the service of our staff and especially of our butlers. We are also delighted to learn that you enjoyed our waffles and that you found the location of the hotel to be so convenient. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back soon. Yours sincerely, The Hotel Management