“Gorgeous facility with a few service issues”

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
Ranked #17 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Columbus Ohio
“Gorgeous facility with a few service issues”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

First and foremost, this hotel is absolutely gorgeous. Well appointed and definitely what you would expect for the cost. Our room was huge, but sadly located next to the very loud elevator shaft. When we called to complain they said the hotel was booked for the weekend and there was nothing that could be done. My sleep was seriously impacted as was my husbands. We were in room 250.

We also had a minor argument with the concierge over bike rentals. I had emailed to reserve bikes starting on the first day of our trip assuming at such a lovely hotel, this type of thing would be included with our stay. I received and email halfway through our first day, hours after checking in and having to leave because the room wasn't ready, that our bikes were reserved and we would be charged 17 euro per day....including the day that was basically over? When I went to the concierge to sort it out, he gave me a very hard time including pulling up my email and reading it back to me (how inappropriate!) and also saying they had to tell other guests that they couldn't take bikes that day because we had reserved them. He must've taken me for a fool as I witnessed gobs of bikes lined up when we arrived at 2pm and later that evening. The entire discussion was very uncomfortable for me and furthermore i felt it was unusual that quibling over 34 E would occur at a hotel of this caliber?

At any rate, again, the facility is fabulous if you are not next to the elevator and the rest of the concierge staff was delightful. Breakfast, although a bit expensive, was very delicious.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
It is always a pleasure to read such magnificent words about our historical hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

I am very sorry to read that we did not have the opportunity to provide you with a quieter room. You were indeed staying with us during a very busy period but despite this, it is always our aim to satisfy all of our guests.

I am surprised to read about the experience you had with our Concierge department. We always strive to answer all our guests within 24-hours. I am very sorry that this was not the case in your situation, as well as that it was not clearly communicated that we do not offer our bikes complimentary.

Nonetheless, I sincerely hope that we may have the honor of welcoming you back.

Robert-Jan Woltering

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 3 September 2012

fantastic hotel everything food best breakfast in Europe service cleanliness even upgrade nespresco machine TV in bathtubs location on canal 5 min from center of city 10 minutes from train 20 minutes from airport truly 5 stars

Room Tip: made reservation with WhataHotel.com great service and actually got a fantastic upgrade
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Dear Guest,

It is wonderful to read such positive feedback as yours and I am very thankful for that.

I am pleased to read that you not only enjoyed our breakfast so much but also your room and all its facilities, as well as the central location of The Grand.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Amsterdam.

sydney
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Not sure how this acquired the 2012 winner for luxury hotel.
Sure the bed was comfortable, decore cosy, but the facilities for a cup of tea in the morning were very poor to say the least.
We stayed for 4 nights and only had 3 tea bags for the 4 nights (1 Earl Grey, 1 mint, 1 camomile tea bag and 2 small containers of long life milk none of which were replenished during our stay) also found mould in the shower.
On the first night we found the restaurant staff very cndescending.
The centre courtyard between the restaurant and bar was infested with MICE and as you are allowed for an extra 25 euro to have your dog stay overnight in your room I suggested that a resident cat would be more beneficial to clean up the area.
When checking out our intrenation al caslls made with a phone card were cgarged to our account and had to be rectified.

Not a 5 star experience

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
I am sorry that you have not experienced the luxury 5-star experience you so much deserve. On behalf of all the Ambassadors, I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the discomforts you have experienced. Our passion is always to indulge our guests with the highest level of service in every department.

I would like to assure you that drastic measurements are taken to exterminate mice in our hotel. I am very sorry that you have witnessed these “unwanted” guests during your stay.

I do hope that we may welcome you back in the future to give you the promised luxury 5-star experience. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to personally discuss these matters further.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

Stayed at the Sofitel for one night last Friday which was a great experience. We were upgraded to a larger suite which was very nice nice. The suite was very well decorated and had a steam shower - which I loved. The concierge was very helpful and recommended we dine at the new popular Harbour Club. The place was incredible (hip), very nice atmosphere. Very good looking people and the food was delicious. Huge selection of seasfood displayed at their ice bar. Now back to the hotel... the bed was very comportable. Breakfast at the grand was excellent - the buffet has many choices + you can order from the menu. Overall a very nice stay and I will stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for expressing your satisfaction regarding the high level of service at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and that we were able to recommend some quality ideas to help you in enjoying a memorable stay.

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 September 2012

The name fits the service and luxury you expect from this a high end hotel! We arrived to warm welcomes and were made to feel like it was our home, the staff here make this property ! they recommended the perfect places to eat arranged the perfect guide to show us around and the perfect driver to take us there. You can walk anywhere from this location , you are right next to everything but it is hidden inside the street which makes it seem like you are away from the madness . the restaurant on property is on the money had lunch and dinner there a few times and the rooms are very nice. we can't wait to go back. the staff is so friendly they recognized my stepson in a local pub and bought him a round, now what can you say to that? we loved it!!!!

Room Tip: Get the name suites
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Knicpo
I just love to read such beautiful words about Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. It makes me very proud and I will definitely not fail to pass on these words to all the Ambassadors. Thank you!

It is at all times our aim to go beyond the expectations of our guest, just like we did with your stepson.

We cannot wait to continue being your home away from home.

London, UK
Reviewed 2 September 2012

A week-end break in Amsterdam took us to the Sofitel. This feels like a step up from the more modern Sofitels, as it is in its own unique building in the heart of Amsterdam. It felt special and different from the moment of arrival and proved to be a great base for a week-end stay in a fun and vibrant city.

We paid extra for a room facing the canal. It was large enough, with a very large king sized bed that gave a great night’s sleep. It had a huge picture window facing the canal. Attached was a long thin bathroom with a great shower. Good quality furnishings and extras that you would expect of an up market brand.

We got good service from reception, bell desk and concierge.

We ate breakfast in the hotel just once. There was too much emphasis on everything looking wonderful, and not enough on speed of service. Quality of food was OK.

I would definitely choose the Sofitel again on my next visit to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Go for a room facing the canal - so interesting to watch the world go by.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
I am extremely thankful for the wonderful words you wrote about your week-end break here at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. The building is already from the 15th century, which offers a unique décor for a 5-star luxury hotel like ours.

I am delighted to read that we had the pleasure of offering you one of our lovely canal view rooms. However, I am disappointed to read that breakfast was not completely up to standards.

We all hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit to Amsterdam.

General Manage
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Had a lovely break in this hotel. The hotel is well located for getting around Amsterdam. On our first day when we went to breakfast we were told that the restaurant was full and were told to go to a function room for overflow down the corridor which was a bit disappointing. The coffee machine was broken there and we had to wait ages for some coffee. We did feel that the hotel lacked a bit of the hospitality we are used when staying in 5 star hotels but it would not prevent us from booking again. Rooms were nice and very comfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
I would like to thank you for sharing your experience at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. I am very grateful to read that, despite the inconveniences you have experienced, we may have the honor of welcoming you back in the future.

To provide the highest level of service we always strive to deliver, we open a second breakfast room when the hotel is fully booked. Of course, it is not our goal to keep you waiting for a cup of coffee due to this. Therefore, I would like to offer my sincere apologies.

We all look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.