“Absolutely Beautiful”

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
Ranked #14 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 September 2012

My partner and I stayed 3 days in this gorgeous hotel. Gorgeous grounds & our room was beautiful. The room had big windows overlooking the garden. The garden is really pretty & the cocktails weren't bad either
Staff were very helpful
One of my favourite hotels of the last 6 months

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LBoss72
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

Dear Guest,

It is so pleasant to read such positive feedback as yours. Thank you!

As a matter of fact our daily main aim is to make our guests happy and we genuinely put a lot of passion into it to provide the highest standard of services. I am most thankful to you for your kind words which are a true encouragement for the whole team.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Robert-Jan Woltering

Write a ReviewReviews (2,740)

Reviewed 7 September 2012

This was our second Sofitel apart from Munich and we were very pleased. Upon arrival we were upgraded from a junior suite to a prestige suite. The location was just perfect, close to everything. Our suite had beautiful views of the canal. The suite was very well sized with two bathrooms.
Their amenities were great. We had a baby with us and they provided us with a free amenity kit for our son along with the crib. The only concern we had was the bar facing our window towards the canal. The people start signing there and did not stop till late night. It did not bother us because we had the windows closed all the time. Even then you can hear them, but it was bearable. However it would be a big problem for someone who wants to open the windows and get some fresh air.
Apart from that we had a lovely time at this hotel, we highly recommend Sofitel and will definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

Thank you very much for your warm words about our hotel. We do not only want to indulge all our kings and queens, but also our little princes and princesses.

I am delighted to read that we accommodated you with one of our wonderful canal view suites, which was exactly according to your wishes.

It is indeed correct that we are right in the middle of vibrant city centre of Amsterdam, close to all points of interest. Our aim is to offer an oasis of serenity which can be established by the two inner gardens the building offers. Therefore we offer our guests who prefer a quieter room a garden view room.

All the Ambassadors of The Grand look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 7 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed at The Grand for three nights prior to our River cruise. Everything about the hotel was excellent. The room overlooking a beautiful canal was spacious, quiet and wonderfully clean. It was exceptionally hot during our stay but the hotel remained really cool! We ate at the restaurant and casually in the beautiful courtyard. The meals were lovely, well presented and while not cheap were of a very high standard and beatifully presented. The staff were very attentive and courteous at all times. We really enjoyed our tour of the hotel. It has a very interesting history.
Thanks to the wonderful staff for giving us a great start to our holiday. We loved Amsterdam and The Grand!

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear Guest,

I love to read such positive feedback about our hotel, and I am thankful for your kind words.

Indeed our central yet quiet location is a real asset for guests choosing to enjoy a drink or a meal in our secluded courtyard garden. After a busy day enjoying the city's secrets, guests are delighted to enter a peaceful atmosphere mixing Dutch tradition and French elegance.

The restaurant team at Bridges and I were very proud to hear that you had a great food experience in our restaurant.

I also thank you for pointing out our high standard of services in all areas of the hotel. We genuinely look after our guests. We work with passion.

We then look forward to your next visit to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 7 September 2012

We stayed in this hotel by the end of May 2012.
Good points:
-absolute confort (rooms are not huge but OK sized);
-lovely historical building
-terrific location (it is really not a problem that the hotel is located in the so called "Red light district"; it is a busy area outside but an haven of tranquility inside); the area is totally safe and close to the main attractions
-great spa and indoor pool
-helpful staff
bad points:
-breakfast (though good completely bad organised; it takes ages to get your orders, lack of coordination between staff)
-breakfast price (it is sinful!)
But really nothing to complain about....

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

I would like to thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

I am very pleased to read that you have experienced our historical building as a haven of
tranquility, which it definitely is. We are indeed located right in the buzzing city centre. After a day in the city it is just perfect to relax in our So|Spa.

It is our true passion to indulge all our guests with the highest level of service. Therefore I am surprised to learn that you have not experienced this during breakfast. This is certainly not our style and my sincere apologies for this discomfort.

I definitely hope to have the honor of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

Stayed here 5 fabulous days with my boyfriend October 2010. Had the best suite/apartment ever. Clean and newly renovated the place was effortlessly perfect! We are returning September 2013 and have already booked the Princess of Orange, Opera Suite again! I will post pics of our 2 story digs.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

It was great to read such a positive feedback like yours, and I thank you for that.

We have a passion for all of our guests and cannot help indulging them. Our utmost reward is to hear our guests' satisfaction. This is the reason why my team and I were so happy to read your kind words.

We all look forward to your next visit, and your suite awaits you!

Reviewed 5 September 2012

Nothing to complain about our stay here. The service, the ambience, the room, the concierge, the restaurant, the arts exhibition they have in the lobby ( wow!) the room service, everything in general was excellent! You have to stay here! Pure luxury hotel!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Suite and it worth every cent paid.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Belinda P

Dear Guest,

It is so pleasant to read such positive feedbacks as yours. Thank you!

As a matter of fact our daily main aim is to make our guests happy and we genuinely put our passion into it to provide the highest standard of services. I am most thankful to you for your kind words which are a true encouragement for the whole team.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

First and foremost, this hotel is absolutely gorgeous. Well appointed and definitely what you would expect for the cost. Our room was huge, but sadly located next to the very loud elevator shaft. When we called to complain they said the hotel was booked for the weekend and there was nothing that could be done. My sleep was seriously impacted as was my husbands. We were in room 250.

We also had a minor argument with the concierge over bike rentals. I had emailed to reserve bikes starting on the first day of our trip assuming at such a lovely hotel, this type of thing would be included with our stay. I received and email halfway through our first day, hours after checking in and having to leave because the room wasn't ready, that our bikes were reserved and we would be charged 17 euro per day....including the day that was basically over? When I went to the concierge to sort it out, he gave me a very hard time including pulling up my email and reading it back to me (how inappropriate!) and also saying they had to tell other guests that they couldn't take bikes that day because we had reserved them. He must've taken me for a fool as I witnessed gobs of bikes lined up when we arrived at 2pm and later that evening. The entire discussion was very uncomfortable for me and furthermore i felt it was unusual that quibling over 34 E would occur at a hotel of this caliber?

At any rate, again, the facility is fabulous if you are not next to the elevator and the rest of the concierge staff was delightful. Breakfast, although a bit expensive, was very delicious.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

It is always a pleasure to read such magnificent words about our historical hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

I am very sorry to read that we did not have the opportunity to provide you with a quieter room. You were indeed staying with us during a very busy period but despite this, it is always our aim to satisfy all of our guests.

I am surprised to read about the experience you had with our Concierge department. We always strive to answer all our guests within 24-hours. I am very sorry that this was not the case in your situation, as well as that it was not clearly communicated that we do not offer our bikes complimentary.

Nonetheless, I sincerely hope that we may have the honor of welcoming you back.