“Absolutely fantastic”

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
Ranked #13 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 November 2012

This hotel was absolutely unfaultable from start to finish. We arrived on the Friday morning and were instantly made to feel extremely welcome with staff happy and smiley and available to help with every need. The room was beautiful, bed super comfortable, and bathrooms clean and top notch. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough, the staff couldnt do enough to help and the service was impeccable. We were also really pleased when we signed out that we had not been charged for every tiny detail like many hotels would- we were only charged for what we had fairly used. This hotel made my holiday- it was perfect!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2012

I am truly happy to hear that you have had a perfect stay at Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam and thank you for sharing your extremely positive words on trip-advisor.

We serve all of our guests with passion and a smile, and we are proud to read that you felt this during your entire stay. The ‘My Bed’ concept, which is developed by Sofitel Luxury hotels, Is indeed very comfortable and designed to make you feel like sleeping on clouds. We are glad we succeed.

All Sofitel ambassadors are looking forward to your next stay!

Robert-Jan Woltering

Write a ReviewReviews (2,743)

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Fantastic location, beautiful deco - very friendly staff, willing to go out of their way to help you. The location couldnt be more central either, its right behind the Dam Sq by the canal, but set back so it was peaceful and quiet at night. One negative was the restaurant - great quality food, but lacking in taste and quantity - its a little minimal chic! I found my self finishing the bread after the meal, which is never a good thing...just order BIG then you will be fine. To summarize...the stay here was fantastic a top 5* I would love to return to, although quite pricey...but the Hermes bathroom products more thean made up for that ;-)

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful experience at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. I am delighted to read you felt comfortable and found the hotel atmosphere very peaceful.

Another utmost reward is to hear that you are very satisfied about the service you received from my Ambassadors. Exquisite service is our priority in order to give all our guests a magnifique stay.

Nonetheless, I regret to learn the disappointing experience you had in our restaurant Bridges. At Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam we consider your feedback as the most valuable tool to evaluate the high quality of service expected by our guests. You can be assured that your comment has been taken into action.

We truly hope to welcome you back the next time you are in Amsterdam.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

When staff who haven't even met you know your name, then you understand service., My short stay in Sofitel Legend The Grand was one of the best hotel experiences I can remember - from the taxi's turn into the almost private courtyard of the hotel (formerly two convents joined together), through reception and the exceptional concierge service and into the hotel - beautifully styled in a combination of classical and modern that works rather than jars. I was lucky enough to have been booked into one of four apartments, which are split level suites in connected canal houses, complete with personal butler service and so on. These are not mentioned on the hotel's Web site but worth enquiring about if your visit to the city is for a special occasion. No criticism of the room or the hotel - a delight from start to finish. Even better, The Grand is a short stroll from the centre of the city and the key museums - though you may find it hard to leave its comfort and genuine friendliness.

Room Tip: Facing the internal garden.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

I would like to thank you for your gracious words about your experience at The Grand, especially the beautiful words about my team. It makes me very proud and gives a feeling of recognition and appreciation.

It is always our aim to provide the highest level of personalized service in order to create a home away from home and create a comfortable atmosphere for our guests.

We all hope to welcome you back at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam soon.

Reviewed 2 November 2012

Honestly this hotel would have gotten a 3 if not for the spa and exercise area. It is physically lovely. On check in the reception was great but we were handed off to another person who was to "show" us the way to our room. She pointed to either end of the lobby and said something that we could go either way; she was difficult for us to understand. I might add she was the only person that we couldn't understand that we encountered there. The point was we went to the wrong elevators and couldn't get to our room this way. We figured that out and got to our room. It was lovely but a split level that was dangerous at night because this hotel has the best black out curtains I have ever seen. If you have any issue with your balance, your knees, or your vision make sure they give you a one level room. In our room there was a banging rattling noise we heard at night almost constant. We should complained but we didn't so they couldn't help with that. The bed was great! The Bridges restaurant was great but pricey. Got great restaurant advice from the concierge. The indoor pool, sauna, and work out area saved the stay for us. The breakfast is great but unless you get a good deal on a rate where it's included it was 36€ each and not worth that price.

Room Tip: I am not sure where there would not be noise but we faced the inner courtyard and something made noi...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2012

I thank you for telling us about your overall enjoyable experience at Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam and for pointing out your satisfaction regarding the So|Spa and the exercise area. I also thank you for your positive feedback on our award winning restaurant Bridges.

I can tell that we have achieved our goal in taking you to sleep like onto fluffy clouds with our leading product ‘MyBed’. This unique bed concept created by Sofitel Luxury Hotels is also available online.

I am truly sorry to hear about this unfortunate issue during your check in. We strive to assist every guest to their room and provide detailed information about the room and hotel services. We are very sorry we did not fully accompanied you upon your arrival which led to this inconvenience.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back in the future in order to prove ourselves as better hosts and make your stay a magnifique one!

Reviewed 1 November 2012

My goodness, the service at this hotel was outstanding and to the level you'd find in Asia. I can't vouch for the rooms as we only in the private dining rooms during an evening event. True 5+ service, food and wine were exceptional, a delightful evening. I can only imagine what it would be like to stay there!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

I am really pleased to hear that you have had such an "exceptional experience" at our restaurant Bridges in Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam and I thank you for sharing this on trip-advisor.

We pay an extreme attention to details regarding our way of looking after all of our guests. The team and I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and give you the chance to experience our other services as well. We trust you will love it!

Reviewed 29 October 2012

Super luxurious , modern yet elegant & practically in the red light area. Superb breakfast but service a little chaotic , no greeter on arrival so guests unsure of what to do - Champagne included for breakfast is an amazing touch but in my case would not go down well . Annoying that despite receiving a definite confirmation we could have an early check ( only by 1 hour ) this was not available on arrival , worse still the room was not ready for 30 minutes after the published check in time and that was only after I bullied them but they dealt with the situation well with the guest services manager personally escorting us to our room . Stunning property , look forward to returning , cost was 300 euro / night bed and breakfast (regret that breakfast was added to our bill by mistake )I hate annoying little mistakes like that , they shouldn't happen.

Room Tip: Amsterdam hotels seem to be the most expensive of all the major European cities so shop around to ge...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2012

Thank you very much for sharing your positive experience at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. It is our passion to indulge all of our guests.

However, I am sorry to read that we were not able to accommodate you with a room upon your arrival. We always do our utmost to accommodate our guests with a room upon their arrival, even when it is before the official check-in time. Unfortunately this is not always possible, and especially during high season.

Despite this inconvenience, I am delighted to read that we were still able to give you a memorable experience.

I look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit in Amsterdam.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

Lovely hotel, decent size clean rooms and a fantastic breakfast. You expect all of this for the money. What made all the difference to a 3-generation trip for my father's birthday was the attitude of the staff - they made my parents, who might have felt uncomfortable there, feel very welcome and at ease in the hotel. Made sure that a 5 star hotel provided a 5 star experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

The team and I were extremely pleased to look after you and we are proud to read your positive feedback.

Our utmost reward is to make our guests happy and exceed their expectations, by giving them personal service. I am really delighted to read that we have achieved our aim.

The team and I look forward to welcome the whole family back.