This hotel used to be the city hall and a lodge for the elitists of Amsterdam in the 15th century and you can tell that right away by the interior and the exterior. It is a old building but somebody has taken alot of care in to making everything very prestige and 'grand' as the name of the hotel suggests. And this also goes for the rooms.
I've been to several rooms and each was like it has its own theme and its decorated beautifully. Some were a little too bit dark for my taste but it ups the atmosphere. Most of the rooms were somewhat small but thats normal for a crowded builded city like Amsterdam. Some would even call it cozy. The rooms were clean but the windows were kind of small. But that does get better in the suites.
The beds were heavenlike to sleep in as its almost like you get sucked in the mattress and the thick bedspread.
The bathroom was beautiful. It was clean, towels were clean, bathtub sometimes had stains but thats almost normal in hotels. I dont remember seeing any slippers. And there is a make up mirror for the ladies.
The best feature of this hotel is its location. Its like a oasis in the busy and loud centre of Amsterdam. And when i say centre i really do mean the centre. Its next to one of the many canals and its 500 meters from the Damsquare and the Royal palace and maybe 700 meters to the redlight district and chinatown (Zeedijk). The shoppingstreet Kalverstraat is next to the palace. And the street Rokin which leads to the central station crosses the Damsquare. Taxi to central station is about 3 kilometers tops.
Breakfast was good and fresh, multiple kinds of bread. Bacon, eggs, fruits. The usual. Great scrambled eggs by the way.
I didnt had time for the gym and pool but from what i heard its clean and topnotch.
Parking could be a problem. They have valet parking but the parkingspaces in the yard are limited to i think maybe 20 cars. And parkingspaces in the neighbourhood are really really hard to find. The nearest parkinggarage is a 15 minutes walk at the Bijenkorf mall. But the height is i think 1.80 so if you drive a big car or suv you wont fit and you have to go to a even further parkinggarage called the Kolk at Nieuwezijds voorburgwal.
The service is really one of the best i've seen, very polite and patience. Although they're not always experienced they are helpful and doing their best.
And last but not least the inner courtyard garden is really nice and their haute cuisine restaurant is one of the best seafood places in town.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SOFITEL LEGEND THE GRAND AMSTERDAM.Furnished with French elegance and grandeur, the hotel welcomes a variety of visitors, from the trendy Amsterdam elite to royal brides or famous international movie stars. In each of the rooms, the restaurant, the hallways and the beautiful garden terrace, design and history captivate and seduce everyone into visiting. ROOMS & SUITES.Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam offers 177 spacious rooms, including 52 luxurious suites, amongst which 14 individually designed Suite Apartments: lodgings in 17th century canal houses. The rich history of the hotel is, as naturally, incorporated into the new architectural details in many ways. WELL BEING.Access to the relaxing SoSPA is complimentary for all hotel guests. It is the ideal place to unwind and pamper yourself. SoSPA houses an indoor heated swimming pool, a private Turkish steam bath, a Jacuzzi, a sauna, private treatment rooms and a SoFIT fitness area. INSPIRED MEETINGS.The 17 fully equipped banqueting and conference rooms, five of which are listed as historic monuments, provide the ultimate venue for meetings or conferences in Amsterdam. All rooms have natural daylight and are equipped with the latest technical facilities. BRIDGES RESTAURANT.The modern and trendy fish restaurant serves dishes with an emphasis on sea food and fish, mostly Dutch organic produce with a French twist. Bridges bar and lounge are the heart of restaurant, offering exclusive wines and vintage Champagnes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, ACCOR, Agoda, Ebookers, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel The Grand Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Accor The Grand Amsterdam
- Sofitel Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Sofitel